• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mp_tx

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Austin
    If I was going to spend that kind of money, I’d rather go for a Galil or HK in .308.

I thought a .308 Galil would be cool, so I got one. Although sexy looking, it’s not that pleasant to shoot and sits in the safe. My FAL’s get much more exercise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dennisz

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Pipe Creek, TX (Hill Country)
    I'm intrigued by the FAL and would like to have one (or five). I just don't know enough about them. A friend of mine sent me the link to this now completed auction:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/869573468

I sure like the looks of that one but, man, $4900 is a lot of money. I think that's actually a pretty normal price for these.

I know I want the real FN and I think a Styer import is a nice way to go.

Who has a FAL? What's your take on them?
    Just pull a few more wisdom teeth, there’s the funds.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    There's actually 2 separate and distinct FALs, they share only a common caliber - 7.62 NATO - one design by Fabrique Nationale Herstal, properly called Fusil Automatique Léger, and commonly known as the FN FAL; the other is the Beretta Fucile Automatico Leggero BM 59 - commonly known as the BM59.
    I'm much more a fan of the Beretta over the FN, I call the FN 'EFFEN FAIL' because that's what it seemed to always do. The only war I recall it winning was the '67 'Six-Day War' between Israel and her arab neighbors, it's arguable the FN FAL lost the Falklands War as the Brits were armed with L1A1s.
    The FN has way too many parts, way to many screws, way too many failure points, and an inferior tilting breechblock that rips cartridge rims off much more often than rotating bolt or delayed-blowback designs.
    As a curio, or collector's item, go for it. As a SHTF rifle, not so much!

Eli

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Had one. Don’t miss it. I like the way they look though. The rat tail recoil system can sometimes have issues, too.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    There's actually 2 separate and distinct FALs, they share only a common caliber - 7.62 NATO - one design by Fabrique Nationale Herstal, properly called Fusil Automatique Léger, and commonly known as the FN FAL; the other is the Beretta Fucile Automatico Leggero BM 59 - commonly known as the BM59.
    I'm much more a fan of the Beretta over the FN, I call the FN 'EFFEN FAIL' because that's what it seemed to always do. The only war I recall it winning was the '67 'Six-Day War' between Israel and her arab neighbors, it's arguable the FN FAL lost the Falklands War as the Brits were armed with L1A1s.
    The FN has way too many parts, way to many screws, way too many failure points, and an inferior tilting breechblock that rips cartridge rims off much more often than rotating bolt or delayed-blowback designs.

Eli
    Good info here. Thanks! I have some research to do.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas

Eli

Wat.jpg

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beretta_BM_59

BM 59 is in no way shape or form a FAL

And to add, none of the battle rifles had particularly amazing service records, EXCEPT the FAL. The FAL saw plenty of use in Vietnam with the Australians, and stayed in service far longer than the M14

There isn't a big difference between metric and inch pattern FALs. There are parts that are not interchangeable, but the inch pattern was certainly not a clean sheet design. Saying "the FAL loat the Falklands war because the Brits had the L1A1" is a very silly statement

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beretta_BM_59

BM 59 is in no way shape or form a FAL

Incorrect. As I said, the FN is the Fusil Automatique Léger, while the Beretta is the Fucile Automatico Leggero. Beretta formally called it FAL BM 59, the Italian military called it FAL, similar to the commercial AR-15 is called M16 Rifle (or, as circumstances dictate, M4 Carbine) in American military service - or, inversely, the FN FAL is called G1, StG-58, etc., in military terms.

And to add, none of the battle rifles had particularly amazing service records, EXCEPT the FAL. The FAL saw plenty of use in Vietnam with the Australians, and stayed in service far longer than the M14

There isn't a big difference between metric and inch pattern FALs. There are parts that are not interchangeable, but the inch pattern was certainly not a clean sheet design. Saying "the FAL loat the Falklands war because the Brits had the L1A1" is a very silly statement

You completely missed my point about the side equipped with the FN FAL losing nearly every conflict it was involved in, with the notable exception of the Six-Day War. I prefaced my statement concerning the Falklands war that it is arguable.
    By the way, the M14 has been in military service for the United States for over 60 years, I'm not sure the FN FAL is in 1st-world military service anywhere - and not even Imbel is producing all the necessary parts any more, only DSA remains as a new manufacturer.
    Only the G3 design remains as a current-military-production battle rifle, although the BM59 is reportedly produced in Indonesia as the SP-1 as needed.

Eli

Top Bottom