• ...and so much more!
  • matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Hi Guys!

I am, indeed, a tremendous fan of the 17HMR! I shot my first High Master match scores at 200 yards with my Marlin 917V and later scored a 200 yard 499/500 and a perfect 500/500 with the little rifle! The matches were shot prone from a bipod.

Where and what was the competition you were entered in? Sounds like a bunch of fun.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Where and what was the competition you were entered in? Sounds like a bunch of fun.

Golden Triangle Gun Club is off Highway 69 in Beaumont near I-10. They folks there are very competition oriented and the best folks you could ever hope to meet! I'll post a link. Their full match schedule is in the site. My favorites are the Military Bolt Rifle match and the Military High Power Rifle match both at 200 yards. I shot their 600 yard prone match many times, too. You pay into a pot when you enter the 600 yard match and win cash prizes.

Entry for the 200 yard matches is $5 and the 600 match is about $15.

When I worked at the prison in Navasota, I drove all the way to Beaumont just to participate in their matches! For years, I shot 4 High Power matches per month but cut it to two matches per month when fuel got expensive.

Here's a link to Golden Triangle. Pick on the "match schedule". I am a member of GTGC.

http://www.gtgctx.org/

People drive huge distances to shoot at Golden Triangle matches. They give out prizes at a lot of the matches. many times I won 500 primers, knives, competition buttons, etc. They also award match winner ribbons. Check my profile pics.

The best thing about shooting High Power matches at GC is that they have pit service. Half of the guys run the pits with radio communication from the firing line. When the first stage finishes shooting, they swap and the second stage fires next. In the 600 yard matches, you fire three separate 20 round stages and switch with the pits after each stage. Hearing those 30 caliber bullets slam into the berm behind the pits is a unique experience! With pit service, they mark your last shot so you know exactly where you're hitting.

Today (Sat 6/30/2012) the GT 200 yard Bolt Match is replaced by an M1A match at 300 yards. Those GT guys know how to have fun!

PSC in Friendswood has some great shooters and two rifle matches per month- one is a prone match and the other an NRA position match. The guys are great there but the range faces into the sun in the morning and we refer to it as the "Range From Hell". At the end of each stage, you walk down and score your targets. There is no pit service.

I shot the PSC matches for a long time and was a member for years. I dropped my membership when the Baytown club opened as it was much closer. PSC is also very competition oriented and they shoot silhouettes, rimfire silhouettes, pistol matches and a whole slate of shotgun matches. I'll post a link. PSC Military matches gave out trophies for match winners. There are 6 of those shown in my profile, too. The 200 yard prone match does not give out trophies....only bragging rights....snicker.

http://www.psc-range.com/

The Baytown club has facilities out to 600 yards but no competition. I'm a member there, too.

http://www.basctx.com/

Hope that helps. I would LOVE to get a group together to shoot the matches at Golden Triangle but it's a long way to Beaumont for you guys. It's 56 miles from my place.

Flash

9x19

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    I have a few ,17s... most are Mach 2s though.

Marlin 717M2
    M717M2nv.gif

Magnum Research 17/22
    MRIMLR1722.gif

Ruger 10/17 Dlx (Green Mountain barrel)
    1017GM.gif

Ruger 10/17 (VQ bolt & barrel)
    1017VQnps.gif

Thompson Center R55
    TCR55nik.gif

Volquartsen
    17M2VQ.gif

Ruger 77/17
    R7717.gif

I do have a couple in .17HMR:
    Remington 597M .17 HMR with a Simmons 2.5x-8x 36mm scope
    R597Msim.gif

Volquartsen
    17HMRVQ.gif

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    I have a few ,17s... most are Mach 2s though.

Marlin 717M2
    M717M2nv.gif

Magnum Research 17/22
    MRIMLR1722.gif

Ruger 10/17 Dlx (Green Mountain barrel)
    1017GM.gif

Ruger 10/17 (VQ bolt & barrel)
    1017VQnps.gif

Thompson Center R55
    TCR55nik.gif

Volquartsen
    17M2VQ.gif

Ruger 77/17
    R7717.gif

I do have a couple in .17HMR:
    Remington 597M .17 HMR with a Simmons 2.5x-8x 36mm scope
    R597Msim.gif

Volquartsen
    17HMRVQ.gif

Holy Cow!!! Winner!

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    The M2s have never done much for me as they dont seem to pack near the punch of the HMR but I see youve got that covered too.

Id like an auto 17 but Id burn up way too much ammo with it

I really need to get a good scope on it and call it good. My parts for my AR are starting to roll in so time to play with it.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Makes sense, I dont use mine for that. Mine is used for long range shots or killing scrubs off my feeder during deer season. I like my 50 year old single shot 410 for squirrels and rabbits close in.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Makes sense, I dont use mine for that. Mine is used for long range shots or killing scrubs off my feeder during deer season. I like my 50 year old single shot 410 for squirrels and rabbits close in.

Nothing funner than shooting raccoons at a feeder. When I lived in Victoria, my landlord took me to his property in goliad and we shot raccoons and even some fat sows. It was a blast to say the least. That .17 put a big thumpin on them raccoons.

Modestmike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Rio Grande Valley
    Pics soon to come of my new savage 93r17. I LOVE this rifle! I just got back from the range and sighted it in at 100yds and was able to take it out to 300. Pretty fun hearing that steel plate report. It was a little difficult adjusting for the 15mph cross wind though. I had to hold about 4 mil to the left....depending on the gust.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Nothing funner than shooting raccoons at a feeder. When I lived in Victoria, my landlord took me to his property in goliad and we shot raccoons and even some fat sows. It was a blast to say the least. That .17 put a big thumpin on them raccoons.
    The 17gr hornady Vmax that I shoot puts a hurtin on pretty much any small game animal and the occasional whitetail neck.
    Pics soon to come of my new savage 93r17. I LOVE this rifle! I just got back from the range and sighted it in at 100yds and was able to take it out to 300. Pretty fun hearing that steel plate report. It was a little difficult adjusting for the 15mph cross wind though. I had to hold about 4 mil to the left....depending on the gust.
    Ive noticed with mine out to 150ish there really isnt much windage adjustment needed unless it was a direct crosswind thats really humpin. 300+ it starts to get sketchy with that little bullet and wind. Prairie dog hunting Ive had to adjust up to two feet out at 400yds due to wind. Once that little bullet starts losing velocity it starts to wander bad. 200 in, its a pure tack driver.

I took mine out this weekend too and couldnt figure out why it wasnt as accurate as usual. Thought for a while I was just really rusty then I noticed the bolt on my scope mount was loose.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    This is a neat thread and I'm glad to see it revived!

The picture of my restocked Marlin 917VS rifle bit the dust after the TGT crash. Think I'll just repost it. The stock took a month of serious work to make it usable (Richards "Microfit" stock....long story).

Flash

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DSDExpresso
    Top Bottom