• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    I did a search and couldnt find a thread about just 17s.

I grew up shooting 22s for squirrels and plinking then I bought my Ruger X17 and it was all over with

This gun is too much fun, prairie dogs arent safe out to about 400yds. May take me four shots to get em at that distance with any wind but they eventually do down.
    IMG_2124.jpg

Its also been known to put a hurting on rabbits that like to get in the garden
    IMG_2135.jpg

I dont have any actual pitures of it just by itself, only "action" pictures. Im thinking about adding a little better scope to, maybe a millet along these lines
    http://www.millettsights.com/scopes/lrs/
    to bring the little critters in closer for easier shots, the 10x just isnt enough for the little guys and getting on out there.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Ive shot the Marlin 17s and it doesnt compare to the Ruger X17 which it should at dang near triple the cost, but I wanted a great out-of-the-box gun and it has served its purpose well. With Hornady Vmax 17gr it will group on a 6" plate at 200yds on a calm day. Is accurate enough to hit prairie dogs out to 500. Takes a ton of windage and elevation to get there though at that range. 300 and less, its a lot of fun and usually a one shot ordeal.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Hell Yes! First of all, welcome to TGT. Glad to see someone else excited about rimfire like I am. I know my buddy Mr. MateFrio just got him a 17hmr so I know you're not alone! I look forward to shooting one. Thanks for the thread idea.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Yes, it was taken out of the box, scope bolted to it and started having fun. No modifications needed to be a tack driver which is exactly what I wanted

My first gun was a single shot chipmunk like this one only circa late 1980s version
    http://olegvolk.net/gallery/d/40775-2/crickett_7478web.jpg
    Then I graduated to a ruger 10/22 with a couple goodies on it. So Ill always have a soft spot for rimfire rifles. My son is coming up on his 2nd birthday so it wont be much longer before I can pass down my first gun to him to learn like I did.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Here's mine. I won't have it in hand till next week though.

CZ 453 Varmint with fluted barrel and weaver v16 scope.

Single set trigger and fluted barrel
    Weaver v16 4-16x42 scope with ballistic x reticle on burris rings
    DIP picatinny scope mount
    butler creek scope caps

rifle1p.jpg

rifle4o.jpg

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Hi Guys!

I am, indeed, a tremendous fan of the 17HMR! I shot my first High Master match scores at 200 yards with my Marlin 917V and later scored a 200 yard 499/500 and a perfect 500/500 with the little rifle! The matches were shot prone from a bipod.

I wish it was all expert marksmanship on my part (well, maybe a little marksmanship....snicker) because my friend in Beaumont asked to try my rifle at the end of our 200 yard match. He picked it up and shot a "10" and an "X" having never seen the rifle before!

Can't say much beyond 200 yards as I've never tried it but at 200....WOW!

In the matches, the "X" ring is the size of a golf ball. We usually nail the "X" between 23 and 28 times out of 60 rounds!

Incidentally, from a 100 yard zero, moving out to 200 yards requires 4 MOA elevation increase. That is a flat shooting little rascal.

Wind does deflect the 17 a bit but remember, the action of the wind is diminished if the round is smoking downrange at high velocity. The .17 doesn't give the wind much time to work against it.

I really want one but the wife says otherwise.

I bought 4 of them and the first two cost $179 at WW! You can pick up a used one for cheap as most guys get their bores copper fouled and the accuracy drops off. Get a good, one piece cleaning rod, good brushes, patches, jags and some Butch's Bore Shine and put the chemicals to work. It might take three days of putting fresh bore shine into it but it will end up shooting like new. Let the chemicals do the work. Scrubbing won't remove copper fouling. You can find a bargain that way.

17HMR....yup, I'm a big fan!

Flash

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DSDExpresso
    Top Bottom