• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    I agree with gshayd. I don’t wrap brisket and smoke rings are caused by co2 or something. I know you can not get a smoke ring in an electric smoker or I couldn’t. Anyway here’s a pic of some beef ribs I cooked this weekend. I use cooking pellets perfect mix pellets. They’re the best pellet imo.
    IMG_3902.jpg

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    I'm using a BGE for my smoker. I do let it sit in a cooler for at least 1 hour after I pull it from the smoker. I wrap when I hit the stall, then pull when the meat is around 203 or 205 degrees. The flavor is always good and it's moist, but I don't seem to be getting the thick smoke ring like above. It may be due to the lack wood in my smoker which uses lump charcoal. I always put some wood in when I first fire up the smoker. Usually smoke with Pecan, Oak, Cherry or Hickory (depending on the flavor I want) and add 3-4 large chunks of wood to the smoker. Gonna to have to try without wrapping when it stalls. Going to try that sauce the outside too.

Last edited:

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    And another beautiful brisket! The smoke ring looks perfect. How are you getting that nice bark? Are you wrapping the brisket? I wrap in parchment paper (or foil). I've read that can ruin the bark.
    Mesquite wood, no wrap, 225° for 8 hours.
    If it's over 10 lbs before smoking, I'll wrap in foil for the last hour or so.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Salt and pepper.

Hmm..., it may be the type of smoker you're using. With my BGE, the fire is close to the meat so my bark is really burnt. Your's doesn't look as burnt as mine. Maybe you're using a offset smoker which has the fire further away. Whatever, your brisket looks great and I bet it taste as good as it looks.

I usually use Holy Cow Meat Church rub on my brisket. Fat side down. The bark has lots of flavor. Brisket is one tough piece of meat. I'm still learning so always looking to improve. Wish brisket was as easy as pork butts. I really excel with pork butts and chicken. But not so much with brisket LOL.

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Hmm..., it may be the type of smoker you're using. With my BGE, the fire is close to the meat so my bark is really burnt. Your's doesn't look as burnt as mine. Maybe you're using a offset smoker which has the fire further away. Whatever, your brisket looks great and I bet it taste as good as it looks.

I usually use Holy Cow Meat Church rub on my brisket. Fat side down. The bark has lots of flavor. Brisket is one tough piece of meat. I'm still learning so always looking to improve. Wish brisket was as easy as pork butts.

Yep, indirect heat/ offset firebox.
    Lean side down for one hour, then fatty side down for the remainder.
    I've fed a few folks on this site at the gatherings.
    No complaints that I'm aware of.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Yep, indirect heat/ offset firebox.
    Lean side down for one hour, then fatty side down for the remainder.
    I've fed a few folks on this site at the gatherings.
    No complaints that I'm aware of.

What's the reason for putting the lean side down for an hour then putting the fat side down for the remainder?

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    What's the reason for putting the lean side down for an hour then putting the fat side down for the remainder?
    It sears/seals the juices on the lean side, flip it, then it cooks slowly from below through the fatty side.
    A few small bleeds on top let me know when it's done.
    Once it's running clear (not red or pink), it's pretty well done.
    Then I poke it with a spoon to check for tenderness.
    Usually an hour more.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    It sears/seals the juices on the lean side, flip it, then it cooks slowly from below through the fatty side.
    A few small bleeds on top let me know when it's done.
    Once it's running clear (not red or pink), it's pretty well done.
    Then I poke it with a spoon to check for tenderness.
    Usually an hour more.

That makes sense. I'm going to try it that way next time. I usually throw the brisket on fat side down.

Another question: Are any of you dry brining your brisket with Kosher salt before you smoke it? I usually prepare the brisket before going to bed and let it sit in my refrigerator overnight uncovered with the rub on. I've noticed when I dry brine my holiday turkeys with Kosher salt over night before cooking they have great flavor and are very moist. For those, I wash the Kosher salt off the next morning before seasong and cooking. I been thinking of trying that on a brisket, with Kosher salt the night before, then wash off, dry and apply the rub. Anybody tried it that way?

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    That makes sense. I'm going to try it that way next time. I usually throw the brisket on fat side down.

Another question: Are any of you dry brining your brisket with Kosher salt before you smoke it? I usually prepare the brisket before going to bed and let it sit in my refrigerator overnight uncovered with the rub on. I've noticed when I dry brine my holiday turkeys with Kosher salt over night before cooking they have great flavor and are very moist. For those, I wash the Kosher salt off the next morning before seasong and cooking. I been thinking of trying that on a brisket, with Kosher salt the night before, then wash off, dry and apply the rub. Anybody tried it that way?
    That 1st hour usually involves some wide temperature swings too. 200° to 300°.
    So, that helps get things regulated while the searing is happening.

Top Bottom