• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigTexasOne

Support gun control! Hit what you aim at!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2016
    Springtown
    20180613_094358-X3.jpg
    Military Camp

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    I’m gonna have to admit I enjoy the heck out of my Yoder pellet smoker/grill. It’s a true game changer. So easy. I will either buy or build a stick burner in the future but as far as cooking with wood and ease I am amazed with the pellet coolers so far. Don’t get me wrong. The stick burner is and always will be the golden standard in smoke flavor.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    got home from wetting our lines just as it hit 165. Wrapped in parchment paper and she's back in. Getting excited.
    bb529d51ddb0dfc41694c691bb7b7fbb.jpg
    dddfa2b08f5c6eafc600f2fac545f168.jpg

Sent from my SIG Sauer

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    got home from wetting our lines just as it hit 165. Wrapped in parchment paper and she's back in. Getting excited. View attachment 142797 View attachment 142798

Sent from my SIG Sauer
    rman, 165 seems a bit on the high side (?), I pull it out around 135, 140 max and wrap in foil, let it set. The temp creeps up about 10 degrees and I let it cool down to about 110-120 or about 15 min, open, slice and serve.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    rman, 165 seems a bit on the high side (?), I pull it out around 135, 140 max and wrap in foil, let it set. The temp creeps up about 10 degrees and I let it cool down to about 110-120 or about 15 min, open, slice and serve.
    I was told smoke @ 225 until it hits 165
    wrap
    back in @ 225 u til it hits 205
    rest in cooler 1 hour

hmmm....

Sent from my SIG Sauer

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    IMG_3513.JPG
    IMG_3517.JPG

Yes you are right. Put this one in the Yoder pellet smoker last night around 6:30 in the evening. Set it @ 225 and ran it all night for 15 hours. Temp was around 205 when I pulled it. Wrapped it in foil when I pulled it and then I wrapped that in towels and stuck it in a cooler for 3 more hours to “rest”. Results are amazing.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    bought mine at Kroger for an amazing price. Not Nolan Ryan, but it'll do. Had a little flap on it that looks to have curled up, hence the weird horn looking thing.

that and I was running on 3 hours of sleep at 4:30am when I trimmed it up haha.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    Yep I always buy select grade meat for briskets. I’ve never cooked a prime grade only select. Got this one at Sams for $2.98/lbs. I figured that was always part of the challenge to cook them tender.
    Low and sloooooooooooow.
    My bunch approves. This brisket is over half gone already. They don’t last long around here. Good sign of a tasty brisket.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    First brisket completed. A little under seasoned, but otherwise perfect.

Salvaged the juices and used them to make burnt ends
    a6d9f012d44a8f2a2d935482b58a02c0.jpg
    32d525cf2730aac96cb80ff5f8dabc0b.jpg

Sent from my SIG Sauer

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Here is a good read on meat temps:

What You Need To Know About Safe Serving Temperatures, And An Award Winning Temperature Guide
    By Meathead Goldwyn

I want my meat tender, juicy, and flavorful. I also want it safe. The internal temperature of meat controls all of these things and understanding what temp is optimum and safe is at the core of good cooking.
    Nobody knows how many millions of dollars were wasted on overcooked food, but far more importantly, the Center for Disease Control (CDC) estimates estimates that in 2011 roughly one in six Americans got sick from foodborne illnesses, about 128,000 were hospitalized, and 3,000 Americans died, about the same number who died in the attacks in 2001 or Pearl Harbor in 1941. The difference: Many were children.

The fever, sweats, and runs that most people call "stomach flu" are no such thing. They are almost always a food borne illness caused by bacteria such as shiga toxin producing Escheria-coli (E-coli), Salmonella, Campylobacter jejuni, Listeria monocytogenes, and Staphylococcus aureus. True stomach flu is a viral infection caused by different viruses than the Influenza viruses and occurs much less frequently. Chances are that if you think you had stomach flu, you really had a food borne illness that probably could have been prevented by proper cooking.

Cooking without a good digital thermometer and a good temperature guide (like the one on this page) is like driving without a speedometer.

https://amazingribs.com/more-techni...you-need-know-about-safe-serving-temperatures

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    my first brisket. suffered a catastrophic traeger failure. 12lbs

went in at midnight sat/sun. checked at 2:30am and it had gone flame out, 90* grill temp, 110* internal temp. after reading of recent traeger fires, I decided to roll the dice and relit without cleaning out. by 3:00am we had ourselves a bonfire.

went to the trash since it sat in the danger zone for an unknown amount of time. Didn't want to risk sending my wife and 4 kids to the ER.

I know what caused it (rookie mistake, P10 smoke at 225*). Will try again soon View attachment 142349

Sent from my SIG Sauer
    The large number of WTH? that followed this post tells me that I'm not the only one here who knows waaay less about pellet grilling than rman. I'm interested in learning though. Anyone got a link for beginners pellet grilling?

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    The large number of WTH? that followed this post tells me that I'm not the only one here who knows waaay less about pellet grilling than rman. I'm interested in learning though. Anyone got a link for beginners pellet grilling?
    I bought a used one, no instructions, rebuilt it with aftermarket parts and an upgraded controller, and joined a Facebook page called "Pellet Grill Enthusiasts"

it's really simple, you just need to learn how to not **** up lol. Have had a few fires with over filling the grill with chicken legs & thighs, as. to be expected.

I'd say do a little research and/or buy a PitBoss from Walmart. Traeger quality these days is basically shit.

When I build my outdoor kitchen I plan to get a pretty big one, likely a Rec Tec Bull.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    I’ve got the Yoder YS640 and I love it. All I can tell you is with my Yoder it couldn’t be any easier. Game changer for sure. A lot of good cookers. If you can’t find the info your looking for on the internet I don’t know what else to suggest. Google has made me so smart!

gshayd

Ugliest house on the block.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    And another beautiful brisket! The smoke ring looks perfect. How are you getting that nice bark? Are you wrapping the brisket? I wrap in parchment paper (or foil). I've read that can ruin the bark.
    I douse it with Woo Sauce for moisture and then add my rub which is a local Texas product made here in Beaumont, TX. https://www.texjoy.com/store/p/65-Bar-B-Q-Special-Seasoning-32-oz.aspx
    Never wrapped it during the smoking process. I only wrap it in foil once it comes off the grill. As you can see the bark looks just fine and the meat is not dried up but glistening. When I wrap it I let it sit in my redneck cambro=Igloo cooler. I put a towel on the bottom of the cooler and a towel on top of the wrapped brisket. It will stay nice and hot for a while while the ladies finish up in the kitchen right before mealtime starts so I can go to work on slicing the meat. Don't use any of that pink paper wrap. The science of smoke rings is that the smoke doesn't actually make a smoke ring. https://amazingribs.com/more-techni...nce/mythbusting-smoke-ring-no-smoke-necessary

Top Bottom