Hurley's Gold

Let's get this debate started. Which is the most practical: .22lr revolver or semi-auto pistol?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    22lr revolver vs. semi-auto pistol

Which do you think is the most practical choice for field use?

I'm voting revolver.
    Why?
    1.) Can use any ammo. Short, Long, Long rifle, rat shot, CB caps, etc.
    My revolver RAFFS at your single shot semi.

2.) WHERE DID MY MAG GO?!?!?!?!?! It WAS in the gun. But now it isn't.
    Can't lose a cylinder very easily.

3.) There are these things called Speed Loaders.

4.) Ok, on suppressors, we'll call it a draw.
    I am gonna go back to what the OP asked, key word FIELD use.

For me with a double handfull of tools, fencing tool, shovel, machete, crowbar to stretch barbed wire over several posts, post hole digger etc. I needed something I get quick access to: This meant DROP everything, and grab and shoot and holster cowboy style, SA colt in 22, slap and kill before the snake bites.

My mother had the S&W in 22L not sure she ever used it, might have, but I know I did 2x. I came down one morning to make coffee and their was a rattler coiled up in the breakfast area.

The next time I used it (it was kept in a side table between 2 lazy boy chairs in the den. So I had a guy and his GF from work come over to watch the Dallas Cowboys. They were new, having moved down from Ohio for a job and he was a city boy for sure.

There we were sitting in the den, he and I in the 2 lazy boys chairs and his GF and mine sitting on the couch. Somewhere in the second quarter a water moc that had somehow got in the house come crawling out from under another chair and heading out across the room. I grabbed that S&W and popped him in the head. My friend and his GF are standing on the chair and couch, she is screaming. Snake flops a couple of times and calls it a day. I put the gun up and IIRC he asked if I was gonna pick up the snake?

Yea, I will do that at Half Time!

Well that was it, they said they had to go had something to do. I see them out and she asked if this was normal. I tell her not normal, but not rare, killed rattler few years back in the breakfast room.

Not sure why, but he didn't seem interested in being a friend anymore and shortly they moved back to Ohio.

But I do like that S&W 22, great house gun for varmint...

marineimaging

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Cypress, TX
    Revolver for the same reasons as Moonpie;
    1.) Can use any ammo. Short, Long, Long rifle, rat shot, CB caps, etc.
    2.) Can't lose a cylinder very easily.
    3.) Less likely to hang up if dirty.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Ruger single six or Ruger .22 auto (Mk1, II, or III). The advantage of the single six is the magnum cylinder. The advantage of the auto would be capacity in case it was pressed into use for defense against a two-legged beast.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I would be comfortable with either. I routinely carry a single six with a couple of rat shot in the cylinder during the summer months. They work great on copperheads.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I used to have a 9-shot h&r revolver that was double action and had about a 6" barrel. The double action trigger pull was pretty atrocious. I loaned it to a girlfriend I had taken shooting with it. I don't miss her, but I do miss the H&R!

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Been using my Buck Mark quite a bit the last couple days. The PA Microdot and semiauto action has been pretty dang handy.

For the use I've found the Buck Mark to be very advantageous vs a revolver.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    500px-SteveMcQueen-unidrev.jpg

You will note what the King of Cool is using.

Fast Frank

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Houston (Woodlands)
    And to enter the debate...

I have both.

I have a tricked-out MK3 with a Burris FF3, and a stainless Super Single Six Convertible.

They are equally badass. The reliability nod goes to the revolver only because I know the auto is probably gonna jam someday. (It's super reliable)

The auto MIGHT be more accurate, but proving that free handed isn't something I can do. They both blow a hole right where they are pointed.

As far as calling one "Better", I can't do it. More practical? If putting rounds on target quickly is your deal then the auto is what I'll pull out. But for just enjoying myself while shooting, I like the revolver. I Think both have their place.

I like the idea of a range day, too.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom