Let's get this debate started. Which is the most practical: .22lr revolver or semi-auto pistol?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cb51

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2017
    Georgetown Tx.
    My two Heritage 22 revolvers are about the funnest things I shoot

I gave Heritage a serious look at a gun show recently. Never held one. I was impressed at how it felt, and I like the idea of two cylinders. I shoot a ton of .22 and it's my favorite caliber. Growing up watching Gunsmoke and Have Gun Will Travel, I have a huge soft spot for single actions.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    My two Heritage 22 revolvers are about the funnest things I shoot

I have a couple, and I have been surprised at their accuracy. I have heard people say they are not, but the ones I have are very accurate. I've had zero issues with them.

And they are so inexpensive, they are a great pistol for the glove box. I'm not worried about it getting scratched up.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I love my Heritage Rough Riders, they are a blast at the range and if I ever get around to finding a double-rig holster belt for them, I might just start doing some Cowboy Action Shooting with 'em! :D

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I'm 66 years old and have had many guns come and go in my life. All kinds of gun from Colt 1911 to Ruger GP100 and lots of other guns. But the gun I have always shot the mot was my .22. I've had a lot of .22's, but in 1980 I bought a S&W 63 and fell in love. I kept that gun until 2007 when they finally made the S&W an 8 shot cylinder. I trade in my old one and have been happy with my 'new' 8 shot model 63. It has taken over as my favorite gun. I shoot it every week just plinking at cans. It pushed my Ruler super single six and S&W model 617 out of favorite status.

I sold off my old Ruger standard model and MK2 long ago. I find the versatility of the revolver taking all kinds of ammo to be a good thing. I ant to be able to shove any round in there and have it work. Short, long rifle, shot round. And I love being able to use old ammo that if I get a dud, I just pull the trigger again. My 63 is my hiking gun, so it could be pressed into a self defense role, and I like revolvers for the role.

I am an unashamed .22 revolver fan.

I whole heartedly agree with you cb51.
    Recently I purchased a Model 63 eight-shot from a fellow TGT member. That little revolver is a wonderful gun to shoot.
    It has quickly become one of my favorites.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    IMG_0775.JPG

IMG_0776.JPG

All the .22 revolver talk got to me.
    Had to go to the range! Just had to!
    Today was NAA Mini, Ruger Bearcat Shopkeeper, and S&W M63 love.
    Tried out the new VZ grips on the 63.
    Don't think I like them much. Will give it a few more range trips to see if they grow on me.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I have a couple, and I have been surprised at their accuracy. I have heard people say they are not, but the ones I have are very accurate. I've had zero issues with them.

And they are so inexpensive, they are a great pistol for the glove box. I'm not worried about it getting scratched up.
    I just received wood grips for mine today and put them on, feels so much better. I'll get some pics tomorrow.

cb51

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2017
    Georgetown Tx.
    View attachment 127510

View attachment 127511

All the .22 revolver talk got to me.
    Had to go to the range! Just had to!
    Today was NAA Mini, Ruger Bearcat Shopkeeper, and S&W M63 love.
    Tried out the new VZ grips on the 63.
    Don't think I like them much. Will give it a few more range trips to see if they grow on me.

Moonpie, LOVE that shop keeper!!!!!!

I my have to break down and get one. I had a bearcat back in the early 70's and like a dumb cluck, traded it on something else. I've periodically missed it over the years. The shop keeper has the old west look that I love.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    My grips are not checkered, and I think it's a 5" barrel. I like the dark wood grips best.

93e0e7cdea5ae8ee3d9cb90cfed4cfac.jpg

My wife loves the laminated grips on this one. Hard to see from the pic, but there is some green in there.

b3a3aa20ba10cbf3436d2caa1c852b1d.jpg

Last edited:

Churchmouse

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2017
    Indy west
    First I bought my Ruger for use with a suppressor.
    Then I always wanted a .45 LC, and bought another Ruger (New Vaquero).
    Then I had to have a .22 to match that and bought an Uberti 1873 Cattleman 6 shot.

I have the Ruger in the "Lite series and I bought it for a suppressor as well. It runs flawlessly. Is on point accurate. You do have to use the Ruger mags in it.I bought some off brand ones and it took some adjusting to get them to run reliably.

Top Bottom