• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    When I loaded rifle, four decades ago, I used a turret press but I used it as a single stage. Each step was done in batches, all the sizing and depriming for say 50 or 100 rounds. Then I did the powder for all that batch, then bullet seating, then crimping. Just had to rotate the turret to the proper station and do the batch.

Starting with one case and rotating stations until one round was complete is way more time intensive.

You will also need reloading blocks to hold your cases as you batch process them. I suggest two. One for start of a step and then it goes into the completed step block. This will keep you from trying to double charge powder and help from not dropping powder as well. I kept the start block on the left and the completed step block on the right. When the block was full and it was time to go to the next step, then the block positions were switched. Always worked left to right. Kept me straight with no errors.

I was loading for precision rifle work. The press was a Texan Seven Station Turret press. Strong as hell and they are now out of business. It was made in Texas too.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    A reloading tray fixes that problem. Cheap to buy, easy to make.

You searched for: reloading tray - MidwayUSA

I should mention that I used the reloading tray more when loading handgun cartridges using a Lee autodisk power measure. With rifle cartridges I weigh each charge so I charge the case anl seat the bullet right a way. With a Dillon 550B the loading tray is unnecessary but I still use the Lee Turret for Rifle cartridges except for 223.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I should mention that I used the reloading tray more when loading handgun cartridges using a Lee autodisk power measure. With rifle cartridges I weigh each charge so I charge the case anl seat the bullet right a way. With a Dillon 550B the loading tray is unnecessary but I still use the Lee Turret for Rifle cartridges except for 223.

That's how I do it.

Removes the need for a tray and makes it almost completely impossible to have a squib/double charge situation. You would have to actually grab a case and seat a bullet on it completely forgetting to weigh a powder charge. That's a hard step to forget.

Also, I have kids and am on call every other week. Charging and immediately seating the round gives me a stopping point after each round if necessary.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    When I loaded rifle, four decades ago, I used a turret press but I used it as a single stage. Each step was done in batches, all the sizing and depriming for say 50 or 100 rounds. Then I did the powder for all that batch, then bullet seating, then crimping. Just had to rotate the turret to the proper station and do the batch.

Starting with one case and rotating stations until one round was complete is way more time intensive.

You will also need reloading blocks to hold your cases as you batch process them. I suggest two. One for start of a step and then it goes into the completed step block. This will keep you from trying to double charge powder and help from not dropping powder as well. I kept the start block on the left and the completed step block on the right. When the block was full and it was time to go to the next step, then the block positions were switched. Always worked left to right. Kept me straight with no errors.

I was loading for precision rifle work. The press was a Texan Seven Station Turret press. Strong as hell and they are now out of business. It was made in Texas too.
    I like this idea of batch processing. At first i was wondering why would i want to turn a turret loader into a single stage.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    Im trying to find a site with everything needed in stock so i can screenshot my new list and see if im missing anything.

Midsouth shooters is local to my duty station so im trying to make use of them even though ill pay for taxes i should save on shipping.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    Die setup

1)trimmer
    2)sizer
    3)seater
    4)crimper

This will use up all 4 turret stations.

Or buy a single stage press and mount the quick trim to it for trimming only

On the turret press

1)sizer
    2)open for powder
    3)seater
    4)crimper

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    1b9d1c647e77a37e936d0406d9f39491.jpg

Heres my list. I lost all my tabs when my phone crashed but this is basically what i remember.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Any specific lube recommended? I was gonna use the lee one. Also i think my dies said they are non lube?

I have some of the lee, only tried it on the .50 cal and decided to not use it anymore after beating the case out. I like One Shot for normal rifle cases. Most options are OK, but I won't recommend Lee. I use Valvoline for .50. I've also used an RCBS lube pad in the past and it was ok.

Do not trust any dies for a bottle neck case that says it doesn't require lube. Cases WILL get stuck.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    Yeah i kinda figured i would need lube. Does it matter how much is used. Im guessing not too much to cause me to have to clean it out of the neck and stuff

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Too much can cause dents around the shoulder from the hydraulic pressure. It's should be a very thin coating.

From time to time it may be necessary to clean the dies, depending on the type of lube used and the amount of reloading you do. I haven't had to clean mine yet.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    Using a fired case and a bullet sounds like i may overcompensate the feel of where the lands are vs a modified case. With a modified case it seems like even if i hit the lands hard theyll push back into the case exactly where it needs to be or enough for me to reset the tension on the rod. Ami correct in my assumption?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    A once fired case won't even hold the bullet without putting a slight dent in the case mouth.

The modified case is probably a much easier method. The once fired case works well if you are cheap and don't mind getting a feel for it.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    A once fired case won't even hold the bullet without putting a slight dent in the case mouth.

Am i having memory dump? Is it actually a NEW case this is done with?

The modified case is probably a much easier method. The once fired case works well if you are cheap and don't mind getting a feel for it.

I think so too atleast for me. I dont want to risk going past the lands and having an unnecessary pressure spike from it.

Comments in bold.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    Getting closer to reloading. I have a bunch or hornady tools right now. Mostly things to measure case length and ogive. Got these all measured out.

Also got 100 140gr amax and 100 178gr hpbt. Now trying to figure out what powders i want to run especially with the new imr enduron available.

I have a ton of 308 brass fireformed and just 20 6.5 creedmoor since i tossed 100 some at the range.

I should be able to save on shipping as i have a major national reloader store in town. Downside is i have to pay state taxes.

Now that baby is born reloading spending is slowed down. So its probably gonna take me 3 times longer now to get it all.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom