• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    Alright, ive reloaded before on other peoples presses which was pretty much weigh this, pull lever, done.

I will be purchasing a kempf lee classic turret kit. To make it easier for me im also looking at getting an auto disk powder measure. Im assuming i also need the double disk kit, riser, charge bar and charging die? The press will be used for rifle only.

As for reloading products, i have imr4064, h4350, federal 210m primers, hornady brass, 175gr bullets, 178gr bullets and 140gr amax bullets.

Manual, lyman 49th edition.
    DK Firearms

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Last edited:

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    You will need a scale to weigh the powder that the Auto Disk Powder Measure throw to make sure it's accurate.
    Yes of course, i know it sounded like i overlooked a scale but i will be purchasing one thats better. The kempf kit deletes the factory scale so you can add your own.

Also i overlooked that the kempf kit comes with all of the above components i was going to add with it. So looks like i just need a scale and calipers.

I will be using all new brass for my first loads. But when it comes time to reuse my brass what will i need to resize and trim? Do the dies do that for me?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    For precision loading, I wouldn't look at the auto disk. The Lee Perfect powder measure would be a much better option.

The autodisk just doesn't allow enough fine tuning or accuracy for anything other than cheap range fodder.

I'm using the Classic turret with the Perfect powder measure, Franklin arsenal trickled, and Hornady electronic scale. (Battery powered scale)

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    I will be using all new brass for my first loads. But when it comes time to reuse my brass what will i need to resize and trim? Do the dies do that for me?
    Resizing, yes, the first die does that. Trim, no - you need to get a case-trimmer for that. There are many types of trimmer but unless you want cramped fingers, try stay away from the ones you trim with hand-held tools; they work and they're cheap but not fun after a while.

Last edited:

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    For precision loading, I wouldn't look at the auto disk. The Lee Perfect powder measure would be a much better option.

The autodisk just doesn't allow enough fine tuning or accuracy for anything other than cheap range fodder.

I'm using the Classic turret with the Perfect powder measure, Franklin arsenal trickled, and Hornady electronic scale. (Battery powered scale)
    Even with the double disk it will not be precise? Your setup sounds much more like what id need to run. In your opinion would it be better to stick with the kempf and add the additional features you have or buy just the press itself and add them?

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    Resizing, yes, the first die does that. Trim, no - you need to get a case-trimmer for that. There are many types of trimmer but unless you want cramped fingers, try stay away from the ones you trim with hand-held tools; they work and they're cheap but not fun after a while.
    I already have carpal tunnel and arthritis. I would prefer to not have to do anything by hand except pull the knob, add the components. I guess my next step is to find a trimmer.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Even with the double disk it will not be precise? Your setup sounds much more like what id need to run. In your opinion would it be better to stick with the kempf and add the additional features you have or buy just the press itself and add them?

The autodisk works well for pistol rounds, if that will ever be an interest. You will be trickling up to your load wait her way, but you can get much closer with the perfect powder measure.

I bought mine off midway and I think it came with a die set. But I chose .45 ACP and got extra plates for my .308 dies.

I recommend a beam scale even with an electronic. I like to double check each load. Takes about 4 seconds to dump on the beam then to the case.

I don't bother with a powder through die. Don't need one if you aren't using an auto drop feature. Just a cheap powder funnel.

I'd say get the Lee classic turret, scale, perfect powder measure, funnel, etc.

I do use the cheap Lee trimmer. I have the cutter with the ball grip and Chuck the lock stud in a Dewalt cordless. Trim the put the dechamfer tool on it for a quick run. It's not fancy, but it works well enough for me. The ball grip and drill make all the difference.

Te only advantage the Turret gives me over a single stage is not having to worry about setting dies after switching calibers. Just swap the plates.

Sorry for jumping around, having trouble keeping track on tapatalk.

KiloKilo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2013
    • Rifle Caliber Kits include:
    • Lee Classic Turret Press
    • Lee PaceSetter Dies (3 Die set)
    • Lee Auto Disk Powder Measure
    • Lee Saftety Prime System (Large AND Small)
    • Lee Auto Disk Riser
    • Powder-Thru Rifle Charging Die
    • Case Lube
    • Double Disk Kit

I don't see this listed.......one may come in handy, if you don't already have one.

364181.jpg

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    You want to get the PRO auto-disk. The regular auto-disk is crap.
    Yeah i was looking at the upgrade. The pro says that adjusting bar is junk when used with it and to stick with the double disk.
    • Rifle Caliber Kits include:
    • Lee Classic Turret Press
    • Lee PaceSetter Dies (3 Die set)
    • Lee Auto Disk Powder Measure
    • Lee Saftety Prime System (Large AND Small)
    • Lee Auto Disk Riser
    • Powder-Thru Rifle Charging Die
    • Case Lube
    • Double Disk Kit

I don't see this listed.......one may come in handy, if you don't already have one.

364181.jpg

Wth is that in the picture?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    So leave one turret open for a funnel. Use the PPM and trimmers mounted seperately from press.

I don't use the turret function for rifle.

I deprime all the cases. Then trim, chamfer, debur all chucked in the drill. Then prime with a Lee safety prime tool (or whatever it's called). The priming ram in the turret press works just fine and probably better if you have issues with joints. I just like that the safety prime holds plenty of primers and the press mounted version must be loaded 1 at a time. I think there is a kit for a primer feed though.

After priming I weigh a charge, pour it in the case off the press, insert the case in the shell holder, then seat the bullet. Repeat as needed.

Basically, I treat the turret press as a single stage for rifle rounds. Otherwise I would lose the precision and uniformity, mostly in the powder charge. Trimming step prevents resizing and priming without removing the case from the press.

I'd also recommend a bullet comparator. It allows you to measure from the ogive instead of the tip of the bullet and is much more accurate. I use the Hornady Kit with bushings for different calibers.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    I don't use the turret function for rifle.

I deprime all the cases. Then trim, chamfer, debur all chucked in the drill. Then prime with a Lee safety prime tool (or whatever it's called). The priming ram in the turret press works just fine and probably better if you have issues with joints. I just like that the safety prime holds plenty of primers and the press mounted version must be loaded 1 at a time. I think there is a kit for a primer feed though.

After priming I weigh a charge, pour it in the case off the press, insert the case in the shell holder, then seat the bullet. Repeat as needed.

Basically, I treat the turret press as a single stage for rifle rounds. Otherwise I would lose the precision and uniformity, mostly in the powder charge. Trimming step prevents resizing and priming without removing the case from the press.

I'd also recommend a bullet comparator. It allows you to measure from the ogive instead of the tip of the bullet and is much more accurate. I use the Hornady Kit with bushings for different calibers.

I've removed the auto index from my Lee Turret and do things in batches. Size all the cases, trim as necessary, prime all the cases, charge all the cases with powder and then seat the bullets. This works well for me with rifle cartridges. I use the Lee hand held priming tool for priming.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Why you gotta make my post look all wordy?

Pretty much the same, but I don't charge and seat in batches.

I'd just end up knocking over a bunch of cases full of powder and making a mess.

Top Bottom