Capitol Armory ad

Leaving a blue state, need advice from texas residents.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blue2Red

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2015
    Thank you guys, I was not expecting such a great response, and the more I read from you guys, the more eager I get. Its good to hear from a few of the "defectors" on here, which made the move from places similar to mine. Its a big move, but it sounds like one you dont regret. From what I have gathered from your responses, HOA's are something to avoid, Southern areas are very humid, watch out for county laws concerning shooting on your property, good property values can still be had within 30-45 min from cities, property taxes are low, and you have a lot of airports from what I see. Aside from the financial relief, I hear there is a pretty noticeable difference in how people treat each other down there. I only visited Houston a few times for work, and didn't get out of the city, but you guys are checking the right boxes for me. I think im going to take a few days to fly down and check out some areas in the winter. This move would have another motive, which is moving my parents into my house in NJ, to allow them to retire. My dad is a painter with no retirement plan, and owes far too much on the house to be able to retire. Thanks again guys

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    West of the I35 corridor.
    Life just moves slower and easier.

Good luck. Vote conservative!

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    The people are the best part.

The hardest part for me to adjust to was driving. It takes a lot of discipline to drive at the speed limit, not to tailgate and not to cut people off as part of normal driving. People here are mostly courteous drivers. Driving like your used to in NY/NJ is far too rude here.

Voting to preserve the state is super important as others have mentioned.

drjames

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2015
    cypress

The hardest part for me to adjust to was driving. It takes a lot of discipline to drive at the speed limit, not to tailgate and not to cut people off as part of normal driving. People here are mostly courteous drivers. Driving like your used to in NY/NJ is far too rude here.

Amen!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

drjames

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2015
    cypress
    Houston is the most diverse city in the American. Texas is not "Dallas " the series.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Blue2Red

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2015

Actually, "voting" is kind of what brought about my more recent motivation to get out of where I am. I know its not the state level voting you are referring to, but as a result of the recent presidential election, I have found myself in a what seems to be in constant defense of what I think is common sense policy. My coworkers and friends have either drank the Bernie Sanders Kool-aid or write all republicans off as war mongering, big business, white devils. I would be lying if I called myself a bleeding heart conservative, but my ideology usually aligns with conservative principles. I am more riled up over this Sanders guy than I was over Obama, as I knew why people were voting for him. Now, it seems that people are either too misinformed or are too stupid to understand what it would really mean if Sanders became president. Im sure you all know how these arguments play out, or you dont because your in Texas, and you generally represent the culmination of conservative power, but I essentially promised myself that if Sanders gets elected, im moving to a "safer" place. I know no one is immune to the federal government, but being in New Jersey reminds me each day what is wrong with this country.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Define "airport".

So in my opinion much of the land within an hour (at midnight) of a major airport (DFW, IAH, Hobby, Love anything services with major airline not American eagle) within 50 miles is already developed urban sprawled out. If you have to make those drives during traffic hours. That turns into a 10-15 mile drive.

If you can do smaller airports with regional carriers. Or better yet a private jet airport, it would vastly expand you search parameters.

But if you expand your drive time to 1-2 hours, you have all these smaller towns around DFW. Alvarado down to Waco, weather ford, mineral wells, Rockwell. They'll all have properties, houses etc. and they won't typically have BIG city prices. (My aunt has 40 acres listed right now with a 400 yard gun range.)

But if it expands to smaller airports, there will be a lot more options, for instance if you go an into Texas from corpus there ain't much of nothing, and land might be ripe for the buying now that oil has gone down. same for Tyler, Lubbock, midland/Odessa, El Paso. And if you go out to wear Texas, land is cheap!

If you can go private alliance airport has lots of stuff to the northwest of it. Heck I think at alliance, they still retrofit the American Airlines planes.

Oh IMO (and I don't know how much you make) but paying NJ income tax and Texas property tax would not be advantageous. .

Top Bottom