Gun Zone Deals

Leaving a blue state, need advice from texas residents.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I bought 34 acres on a lake with lakefront at 100K. More than enough for my own 1000yd range. I've even got the perfect spot with angles picked out. :asniper:

Been through a winter yet?
    MO is a great place, and so is AR, but damn those winter last a long time ...

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    Do these HOA's usually "rule" large developments or do they extend out to even the rural away from the city? This sounds like something to avoid for sure

Once you get far enough out from the cities they shouldn't exist. I'm in Frisco which is about 30-40 min North of Dallas. Another 30 min north and you have options to avoid them.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Sounds great, ill have to take a close look into the Springfield area and the flight availability. Question, and I am going to sound like a noob, but how much land to you need to be able to shoot a decent distance (300 yards). I am not really a hunter, however, I am involved in 3 gun, and wouldnt mind being able to practice on my own property.
    You'll want at least 10 squarish acres. And acre is something like 220 x 220' for reference.
    Do these HOA's usually "rule" large developments or do they extend out to even the rural away from the city? This sounds like something to avoid for sure
    Developments in the suburbs are the most affected, but once in awhile you'll get a country town growing that gets one.

Wow! I knew it was good, but not that good. That sounds like exactly what I would look for. Outside the city, wooded, great price, big lot, taxes very low. Ill look into Fort Worth. Is your property under a HOA? Are these types of properties hard to come by, or is that the norm down there?

HOA? NO. I left an HOA and will do whatever I can to avoid another one. If you are just living inside your house, no country life, they're great. But if you want to do anything outside... Forget them.

While I searched for a while to find what I wanted, I was limited by my cash on hand, NOT availability. There are plenty of available properties for under $200k within an hour of some part of a city. That is slowly changing as the influx of outsiders (myself included) grows.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    We used to live in Big Bear Cali and we'll get used the cold again. Besides, It's still better country landscape and hunting wise than N texas. And the Libs can keep the south down there. lol

I just got back from a week at our lake house in AR, couldn't wait to get back to Texas.
    Got enough room to shoot a pistol, and plenty of lake waterfront, but, like I told my wife as to why I was coming back three days earlier than planned:

"How do you know you've been in AR too long?"
    "When you start looking for excuses to go to Wal-Mart".

That said, I do love MO, of all the places I've visited in the US, it is my favorite, after Texas.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    HOA? NO. I left an HOA and will do whatever I can to avoid another one. If you are just living inside your house, no country life, they're great. But if you want to do anything outside... Forget them.

Having to deal with HOA's constantly when doing room additions, exterior painting, fencing, and even roofing specs, I can tell you that an HOA can add a good deal of cost to any remodel/construction project that has an exterior component. Particularly, as often happens, when such additional work is an afterthought by homeowner and was not originally planned.

2sam22

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    Georgetown, TX
    Blue2Red, I moved from Maryland to Texas 3.5 years ago. I have to tell you, living in a free state is fantastic, you won't regret the move. There is a good reason Texans have pride in their state. Also, check out the Hill Country if you ever get this way.

Se7en62

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2015
    That Holler Up Yonder, Texas
    I just left N. Texas and we moved to SW Missouri. there are 4 Airports within 45 mins of my house. Property here in which is heavily wooded with crazy good hunting is cheap. Just thought I'd through it out there....

image-M.jpg

OP, don't mind skeeter. He talks up his new home away from home, because he has to keep his mind off the New Madrid fault ruining everything and swallowing his entire state.

drjames

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2015
    cypress
    Houston/texas native. If you come here, leave your east coast attitude there. If you say "its not like _____" get the f___ out. Otherwise welcome. West coast east coast. Not like where you came from for a reason.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    You'll need to do that to get the 10+ acres. That's a state law that preempts Counties from regulating land use on property over 10 acres. The farther west you go, the better it gets for acres and price, but farther from reasonable commuting airports.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    You'll need to do that to get the 10+ acres. That's a state law that preempts Counties from regulating land use on property over 10 acres. The farther west you go, the better it gets for acres and price, but farther from reasonable commuting airports.

I didn't know there was a preemption. Good to know.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Although it's been said many times before, I'll say it again: State law does not prohibit shooting on land less than 10 acres, county law is county by county, city ordinances are city by city. I live on less than two acres just outside the city limits and I can shoot legally on my property (assuming I'm doing it in a safe manner and my bullets don't leave my property, etc.).

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    There's a place for sale right down the road from my place - 3000+ sqft house, 3 car detached garage w/ two apartments over, another 2 car garage/shop, huge pond w/ pavilion, 40x60 hay barn on 106 acres for $390K. Most of it is under a hay & cattle lease for the AG exemption, no HOAs within shooting distance.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Although it's been said many times before, I'll say it again: State law does not prohibit shooting on land less than 10 acres, county law is county by county, city ordinances are city by city. I live on less than two acres just outside the city limits and I can shoot legally on my property (assuming I'm doing it in a safe manner and my bullets don't leave my property, etc.).

I missed that too. :) Thanks

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County

When I moved onto the property I have now, about 2+- acres all told, I went in search of the county Constable, Sheriff's Deputy and a local cop to find out about shooting on my land. It was pretty much as Charlie said, into a berm/backstop, hill, etc., not "at" any other dwellings/buildings, and safely, meaning, no projectiles flying off property, you're good to go.

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    If you are going to work out of EWR . Then you should look North to North East of Houston . IAH is located on that side of town . That would have the most flights per day to EWR I think.

Top Bottom