• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Having to use wife's desk top since my Dell Lap Top has virus. Has something call Security Tool trying to sell me a anti virus program and I have not been able to figure out a way to delete. Can still use if I'm patient about closing out pop-up but choose to turn of wireless and not use until I can get rid of this thing. May end up trying to RESTORE TO FACTORY settings and see if that works. I just backed up everything about 3-days before the problem so I won't lose anything of value. Anyone ever had similar with this Security Tool Virus?
    Capitol Armory ad

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Having to use wife's desk top since my Dell Lap Top has virus. Has something call Security Tool trying to sell me a anti virus program and I have not been able to figure out a way to delete. Can still use if I'm patient about closing out pop-up but choose to turn of wireless and not use until I can get rid of this thing. May end up trying to RESTORE TO FACTORY settings and see if that works. I just backed up everything about 3-days before the problem so I won't lose anything of value. Anyone ever had similar with this Security Tool Virus?

Remove Security Tool, removal instructions

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I've had enough viri over the years that I have streamlined the way I have my computers setup. Some viruses are invasive enough that you almost can never fully remove them with any conventional or unconventional method. I completely bypass the problem. I'll have my computer setup with multiple partitions. First partition is purely for the OS as well as simple software programs I can easily re-install. I'll have another partition that is purely for up to date drivers, program install files, etc. Have as many other partitions as you want for everything else. Point is, if you get a virus, spend a little bit of time trying to fix it conventionally, then move on to unconventional methods (manually editing the registry, etc). My rule of thumb is, if the virus takes more than an hour or maybe a few hours (if it looks promising I can remove it), I'll just completely format the OS partition and start from square one with a new OS install. I call this the, "Pull out and nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure" method. ;) lol I've found, with some viri you can spend hours or days trying to eliminate them, and sometimes even if you do your system won't be the same (damaged system files, drivers, etc). An OS install usually only takes ~1hr or less, so why waste the time? There are probably easier and more correct ways of doing it but, personally I like having the piece of mind knowing that no trace of that virus exists after formatting. I use the following scanners:

-Malwarebytes
    -AVG
    -Spybot: Search and Destroy (make sure it's specifically "Spybot", as SpywareBot is actually spyware)
    -Occasionally I'll use Avast
    -CC Cleaner (use if you know what you're doing)

For advanced users, I also use the following:
    -Autoruns
    -ProcessExplorer

By advanced I mean, you really have to know what you are doing to use or get anything out of those two programs, but if you do there is a good amount of capability.

Burt Gummer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    I use Kaspersky anti virus and CCleaner (free online).
    Once I started using this combo a few years back all my computers run well. Currently in 3 work/household computers and had them in 2 others before that.

pyrat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    Allen, Texas
    One technique I've use successfully on persistent malicious code attacks is to transfer the corrupted hard drive into an external housing, attach it to a second computer and run AV software against it from the unaffected machine. Since a lot of malicious code has self protection features, this prevents the code from being able to execute any part of it's payload.

Another site you may find of help is Gibson Research Corp's Shields Up site. This site can be useful for checking the security of you system, LAN, etc.

FYI, I use Symantec AV and CounterSpy, both run in active mode

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    I use Avast Antivirus, Spybot and malawarebytes. Covers well for me.

Well guys got my laptop up and running but had to restore back to original factory default settings. Good news is I had just backed all my documents on a flashdrive. All I lost were my pictures but have them on wife's desk top so no big deal. Geek Squad at Best Buy wanted $130-200......looked at Dell owner manual and did myself. Also luckily all my extra programs Microsoft Office, Acrobat Professional and some others were on disk from the company I retired from and had no limits on the number of computers that they can be installed on. Let me say this.....Security Tool is as bad as it gets and Spybot was no match for it. When you would try to run a Spybot Scan the Security Tool would block it and tell you it was infected as well. Got everything loaded back on and purchased AVG Anti Virus Software for my laptop and wife's desk top. NONE OF THE LINKS SAYING THEY COULD GET RID OF SECURITY TOOL WORKED........SECURITY TOOL PREVENTED PROGRAM FROM LOADING. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I used to use antivirus and antispyware apps, but got tired of them. I've never really been a fan of antivirus programs anyways. Ever try to remove a malfunctioning copy of Norton? You might as well have a virus!

Now I do similar to what Sig_Fiend said... I keep and backup all my data separate from the hard drive my OS is on, and I've got an image of windows tweaked and setup just how I like. So now if I get a virus I just nuke all data on the drive and load the image. Hardly any downtime at all and I'm back up and running the same as I was.

accordingtoome

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    with the viruses nowdays.. its better to just back up your important files and reinstall.. might take an hour or two.. but you would be sure to get rid of it. i do that every 3 months. keeps my stuff running clean.

smschulz

Paid for CUT
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    I have not had a computer that I couldn't remove the virus.
    I am in IT and have cleaned a ton of computers.
    Simply remove the HD and mount in another system (directly or usb) and run MalwareBytes (there are others too that work).
    Reinstall and re-run the scan in safe mode,
    Gets about 98 % of the computers.
    The other 2% some manual maintenance is needed.
    Never have had to reformat.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    This is actually called a hijacker. It holds your computer hostage while behaving as if you have an actual virus. They attempt to blackmail you into buying their 'antivirus program'. You can remove it, without losing anything. It takes about 15 minutes.

Top Bottom