• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    Hey gearheads, I'm jonesin' for some kind of cool car. I've never owned a cool car and now that I've got a little money coming in and a garage to keep it in (just bought my first house) I'd like something to enjoy on the weekends. I have a motorcycle but sometimes I'd like some air conditioning other than twisting the throttle.

I've been enamored by a specific kit car because its a replica of something I'll probably never be able to afford, its the Factory Five Type 65 coupe (Shelby Daytona clone). I've never built a car, I have few tools but understand I'll need to buy a bunch of stuff and drop a lot of time into the car. How hard can it be, right?

I've also wanted a 1954 F100 to resto mod, however I lack any of the knowledge and tools to restore a rusted hull and would likely just end up wasting money and reselling it, or sending it to a shop to do it all correctly. That'll probably be a purchase later in life at a higher salary.

My second thought was to buy a used Mustang GT (late model) to use as a cruiser on the weekend. It would have no practical use other than weekend farm roads and making noise. Really I'm just looking for a project to work on, but won't be some fruitless endeavor.

Anyone here ever built a kit car and can recommend doing it, or have a decent project for a relatively novice mechanic to work on?
    Capitol Armory ad

plinkr

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 18, 2019
    US
    I have had that dream for years.You understand that you will NEVER get all your money back, right? So, it's all about the project :) Having said that, here is my dream build:
    3df7265e7b9be37edc856b330782b185.jpg

Sent from my SM-J730F using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 3df7265e7b9be37edc856b330782b185.jpg
      3df7265e7b9be37edc856b330782b185.jpg
      66.4 KB · Views: 456

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I’ve got a buddy in Kansas building one. The FF kits are pretty good and relatively easy to assemble if you can follow the instructions and apply some thought before hand.

Biggest problem he sees is the final fit/finish. The show quality fit/finish is not what the average builder ends up with.

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    I'll have to look into the legality of registering it for Texas roads. I saw a Daytona coupe on the road in Allen, but have no idea if it was an original Shelby or a kit car. Either is possible for that area. I'm not looking for a period correct car and would include AC (Factory Five has the brackets to install it) as well as a radio.

Biggest problem he sees is the final fit/finish. The show quality fit/finish is not what the average builder ends up with.

Can you elaborate a little more? Is it just a matter of body panel gaps, overall professional level finish 'appearance' or what? Sounds like its not on FF's kit, rather the builder which I can understand because the people building these kits (like me) are probably handy enough to build it but not a professional car builder.

And yeah, this is not "lets put together a kit car to sell it for a profit" or building a financial asset. Cars are massive black holes for money, even the ones that can make money are hugely expensive and speculative at best. I'm glad I've already convinced myself of that :D

Last edited:

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Can you elaborate a little more? Is it just a matter of body panel gaps, overall professional level finish 'appearance' or what? Sounds like its not on FF's kit, rather the builder which I can understand because the people building these kits (like me) are probably handy enough to build it but not a professional car builder.

You’ve hit the nail on the head. Most of the issues are builder-related however, the more you stray from the FFR ‘suggested’ powerplant/drivetrain/etc. the more challenges you face.

They have a good builder support forum at thefactoryfiveforum.com.

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    Yeah, its a bear of a project that I'll bet I could do with enough time and money. I can fix anything with enough time and money really. :p I have perused their support forum, probably not as thoroughly as I should yet. Was leaning toward the 5.2XS which is pretty much a slightly larger displacement 5.0 coyote which is known to fit just fine in these type 65's.

Was just hoping someone here would have weighed in waving the red flags, or steering me towards a more appropriate project for fun.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I have had that dream for years.You understand that you will NEVER get all your money back, right? So, it's all about the project :) Having said that, here is my dream build:
    View attachment 170848

Sent from my SM-J730F using Tapatalk

This showed up at our car show.
    Super sick car, the nicest replica I’ve ever seen
    (Lonnie the car babe was pretty cool, too, for a gal with 750k Instagram followers LOL)

3b31027068c68b85a36b8ae09c023658.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Attachments

• 3b31027068c68b85a36b8ae09c023658.jpg
      3b31027068c68b85a36b8ae09c023658.jpg
      89.7 KB · Views: 334

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    I think you need to go to some car shows and talk to people who have built some. It is not a project novice should undertake. You will need engine hoist, transmission jacks, floor jacks, hand tools, grinders, some friends who are willing to help donate time and work when you get into running wiring and setting up drive-train alignment. I have helped with two Shelby Cobra builds, and a couple dunebuggy builds in the '60s. Good luck on whatever project you take up. Lots of work, but can be very rewarding

Last edited:

Coop's Dad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2018
    Lorena
    Check around on insuring a kit car before you even think about dropping a dime on one. Few insurance companies will offer liability coverage for a kit car, much less comprehensive and collision coverages. OTOH, a rolling project car and a trailer full of parts? Hagerty will insure it with an increasing value value as it approaches completion.

I've done both; two kit cars and many resuscitation cars and the project cars have been easier to source parts and easier to register and insure

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    I talked briefly with my agent about a restomod or kit car and losing my homeowners insurance via multi line discounts, she was aware some cars like that wouldn't help me to save money but she seemed familiar with those types of cars.

Went to a couple car shows recently, nobody had any insight on FF kits and only wanted to talk about how extensive polishing their 70s car was.

My main concern is buying the kit then being way too overwhelmed with the scope of work.

66vette

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2019
    U.S.A.
    There is a recent thread on here that indicated kit cars cannot be licensed as street legal in Texas.
    A guy near me built a kit car......EXO something.
    No problem with registration.
    You need to have the DPS do the full inspection to make sure it has all required current lights, cats, windshield, seat belts , etc.
    Then you can get a title.

The only draw back I know of is cost for insurance........have fun with that.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    You need to have the DPS do the full inspection to make sure it has all required current lights, cats, windshield, seat belts , etc.

Most people go with a company like Grundy, Hagerty, Leland West, etc., and write an agreed value policy. Cost actually isn't that bad.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I too have wanted a Shelby kit car since I was kid. I am pretty good with wrenching & welding & think I could take on the task to build one. But the time & money to build over a period of time vs instant gratification comes to mind now that I'm getting closer to 50...instead of my 30s or early 40s. I've seen the kit cars over the years used, with low miles for almost cheaper than you could build one. If you start to factor man hours that cost goes up to build one. As much as I would like to take a project like that on at my stage in life I would just find a used one for a good price & smile as I push the skinny pedal & make smoke.

Heres what she would look like...

1966-shelby-ac-cobra.jpg

Attachments

• 1966-shelby-ac-cobra.jpg
      1966-shelby-ac-cobra.jpg
      105.9 KB · Views: 376
    Last edited:

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    and was this in the last 2 years that they started enforcing not registering them ? Although if it looks like a replica of classic then you can still get it registered.

It may be a moot point the bill to fix the BS law passed the house and is out of comity and is scheduled for a senate vote Friday.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Hey gearheads, I'm jonesin' for some kind of cool car. I've never owned a cool car and now that I've got a little money coming in and a garage to keep it in (just bought my first house) I'd like something to enjoy on the weekends. I have a motorcycle but sometimes I'd like some air conditioning other than twisting the throttle.

I've been enamored by a specific kit car because its a replica of something I'll probably never be able to afford, its the Factory Five Type 65 coupe (Shelby Daytona clone). I've never built a car, I have few tools but understand I'll need to buy a bunch of stuff and drop a lot of time into the car. How hard can it be, right?

I've also wanted a 1954 F100 to resto mod, however I lack any of the knowledge and tools to restore a rusted hull and would likely just end up wasting money and reselling it, or sending it to a shop to do it all correctly. That'll probably be a purchase later in life at a higher salary.

My second thought was to buy a used Mustang GT (late model) to use as a cruiser on the weekend. It would have no practical use other than weekend farm roads and making noise. Really I'm just looking for a project to work on, but won't be some fruitless endeavor.

Anyone here ever built a kit car and can recommend doing it, or have a decent project for a relatively novice mechanic to work on?

OutlawStar,

IF I might make a suggestion, forget the "kit car" which are often hard to complete & get registered/insured & find/buy a MERCEDES BENZ 500SEC or 560SEC to rehabilitate.
    (IF you want help finding one, I'm your "local MB nut" & will help a "first-timer" locate a good-condition example at a decent price, gratis. = Once redone, the BIG W126-class MB coupes are BLAZINGLY FAST, RARE in great shape & APPRECIATE in price yearly.)
    "Kit cars" almost always LOSE $$$$$ over time. = Often the unassembled kit is worth more than you can sell a completed kit-car for.

yours, satx

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    OutlawStar,

IF I might make a suggestion, forget the "kit car" which are often hard to complete & get registered/insured & find/buy a MERCEDES BENZ 500SEC or 560SEC to rehabilitate.
    (IF you want help finding one, I'm your "local MB nut" & will help a "first-timer" locate a good-condition example at a decent price, gratis. = Once redone, the BIG W126-class MB coupes are BLAZINGLY FAST, RARE in great shape & APPRECIATE in price yearly.)
    "Kit cars" almost always LOSE $$$$$ over time. = Often the unassembled kit is worth more than you can sell a completed kit-car for.

yours, satx
    Thats gonna be a hard pass; I'm not interested in an old Merc. I'm not doing it as an asset because cars are very seldom an asset.

Top Bottom