• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Just buy a nice running 60’s -71 muscle car that’s drive able and tinker with it. Here’s the good.
    It’s a classic
    It will appreciate in value
    Insurance is cheap
    Very easy to work on
    Can not beat the Coolness
    of it
    Tons of fun and learning the cars history.
    Have fun!
    Guns International

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    ...Was just hoping someone here would have weighed in waving the red flags, or steering me towards a more appropriate project for fun.

Part of the equation is what you enjoy more...building or driving.

Talking with my buddy in KS this week, he’s on his second donor car. First one all he could salvage was GT40 heads, pedal box, and electric PS & rack. Sold that donor for what he bought it for. He was hoping to rebuild the motor, but the spun, a conn rod sheared itself, and the cylinders were already at .060 over. He just has a new short block show up and is waiting to get his heads back from being decked and a 3-angle valve job.

Second car, he salvaged the trans, rear end, and pedal box. That one’s back up for sale now. He’s rebuilt the trans and as well as doing the rear end with new axles and re-geared it. He went with a 3-link rear-end instead of 4-link in his FFR frame, and has found (he’s a mech engineer by trade) the suspension bolts are not of the grade and length he’d desire.

He’s spending at least 30-mins a day doing something, whether it’s parts count, reviewing the plans, researching parts, or building. FFR says 200-500 hours for assembly. He says, that’s probably accurate if you’ve got a lift (he does) and all the parts. Reality is he figures he’ll have about 1000 hours all in. Got his kit in April, should be in go-kart phase by end of August, and hopes to be complete by Christmas.

Then, the driving can begin.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    toddnjoyce,

Fwiw, supposedly my little Chrysler LeBaron ragtop will have the AT rebuilt by tomorrow. - I've gotten really tired of NOT being able to drive it.
    ("Rudy" finally found the last parts for the transmission on Thursday last, got them in Saturday & told me this AM that he's determined to have it finished by COB tomorrow.)

Btw, it's metallic wild cherry out & red cloth interior, with the 3L Mitsubishi V6.

yours, satx

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom