• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I would rather pay a Texan to build a Tundra here, than a Canadian or Mexican to build a Ford or Chevy in Canada or Mexico.

I agree. Wife's Honda Accord was built in Ohio. My GMC was built in Indiana. There are still a lot of Chevy/GMC trucks built here. Suburbans and Tahoes are still being built in Fort worth too.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    I was more referring to the minivan jeeps. The 2.5 is gtg. I never got one because the mpg isnt good enough for me to justify 4 cyls.

Just try getting to 65 with 33" tires and a headwind.

The best decision my folks ever made was to let me drive a 2.5 yj. I couldn't hit 65 unless I was going downhill and had a 20 mph tail wind. I never got a speeding ticket growing up.

I may have trespassed a few times however.

As far as buying domestic or foreign.
    IMO it doesn't really matter any more. He'll my Honda was built in the USA and my wife's goes in Canada. All of them are publicly owned. So people from all sorts of different countries has stock in all the major auto makers.

A lot of weight comes into play where the vehicle is build because of the cottage industry that surrounds the plants. The ones who manufacture parts. Plus they pay people to build em.

What does detract is where the cars are engineered. That is big money for an employee.

But when you're a corporation, most profit goes to a few things, dividends (to share holders), back into the company as capital, or paying down debt. So while in the case of Honda it does go back to Japan, and if they pay dividends you know at least 51% is owned by jap nationals. It's only a fraction of the money you spent on that civic.

And IMO that money has helped Japan not try to take over the world again. They figured out they could become far richer trading with us, rather than taking us over. (Our little demonstration of power with the Enola Gay helped too). Incidentally that's why china won't ever invade us.... Losing us as a trading partner would destroy the capitalist zones keeping that country afloat.

So for me, I really don't care any more. The Feds owned most of diamond Chrysler. Then sold it to fiat (Italians). And then gave most of the GM stock to the unions, (and those guys are commies nothing American about that). Look at buying a Honda as promoting world peace, it makes it a little more palatable...

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Re-geared is the key word.

Those I've known who owned the 2.5 jeeps were not impressed. But that's only a couple of people.

tussery

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Corpus Christi
    Well I will say that as much as it sounds ricerish. Little things helped me also, I had a header running through 2 1/4" exhaust, had a 4.0L throttle body and spacer, cold air intake, and ran an electric fan.

With just the header and electric fan on stock tires and no lift the 2.5L had no problems pulling 70 even in head winds or uphill.

Top Bottom