DK Firearms

Is this knife illegal to open carry in TX?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Tyler, TX
    It's the Glock knife: The blade is 6½ inches.

glock-field-knife.jpg

I'm planning to open carry on my way to the camp grounds and may leave on my side while I'm traveling.

Good to go or no? I've searched but couldn't find anything. Sorry if this has been asked a gazillion times.
    DK Firearms

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    You say you "searched the code" What code did you search?

Look up Texas Penal Code section 46.01 for the definition of illegal knife.

Section 46.02 tells you about the lawful and unlawful carry of illegal knives.

Section 46.15 (b) tell you when section 46.02 does not apply to you.

The knife you described is an illegal knife. It is unlawful to carry on or about your person unless on your own premises or premises under your control, or unless you are in your motor vehicle or one under your control.

if you are traveling or engaged in a lawful hunting, fishing or other sporting activity where an illegal knife is commonly used, then 46.02 does not apply to you. Traveling is not defined, and IMO it is not wise to carry an illegal knife in public because you think you are traveling. That is nearly a sure fire way to have a court determine your traveling status.

Hope that helps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Tyler, TX
    Yes, this does help a lot. Thank you for taking the time to provide the penal codes and for the direct answers.

I'll keep this as a subscription, because I have other friends who wondered about the same thing.

Harley Rider 55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    There's no such thing as concealed or open carry in Texas. As stated by txinvestigator, "on or about your person" is the term used. If you've got your hunting/camping gear with you, a destination in mind, I doubt you'll have any LEO issues.

jdh

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    not sure why anyone would want to carry one of those glock knives. that steel they use is good for one thing. rusting.

Simple, I use a Glock knife for jobs that would dull, scratch, stain, or otherwise damage my good knives. (I won't mention throw downs) Sometimes you just need a POS for a back up.

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    what about carrying an illegal knife while hiking in a national park in Texas, or at a state park?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    what about carrying an illegal knife while hiking in a national park in Texas, or at a state park?

Here is the section of law that would cover that if hiking is an exception;

Texas Penal Code 46.15 (b) section 46.02 does not apply to a person who;
    (4) is engaging in lawful hunting, fishing, or other sporting activity on the immediate premises where the activity is conducted, or is en route between the premises and the actor's residence, if the weapon is a type commonly used in the activity;

Do hikers commonly use illegal knives?

Buckles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Cypress, TX
    yea. Mountain lions, javelinas, and the occasional black bear, oh my!
    but for real, reason I asked is, I'm not not old enuff to carry a concealed handgun yet.

then why not just get a fixed blade or folder that is within the legal limits to carry all the time?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    You don't have to be 18 if you have your parents permission.

To carry a long gun? That's not completely accurate. If a 17 year carries a long gun WITHOUT his parents permission HE commits no violation. The offense is on the person providing the firearm. You are correct though, that one need not be 18 to carry the long gun. ;)

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Guys, this goes back to the old saying "You might beat the rap but you won't beat the ride."

If a LEO thinks you are in violation about that knife, he will write a coupon or haul you to the iron bar hotel. It's best not to ride the edge on the law (pun intended). You may beat that rap but it will cost a couple of Grand ($$$$) to do it. Either way, you lose.

That Texas "Traveling" issue is rigged with traps. Enforcement and interpretation varies from county to county and it's best to leave that one strictly alone. Again.....you may beat the rap but it will cost you dearly.

Flash

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    There are plenty of good fixed blade knives that are not cost prohibitive that you don't have to worry about. I wouldn't even bother trying to spell out to a Cop why you think your 0.5" of blade is for such-and-such purpose.

Be careful of city knife ordinances also.

Top Bottom