Is there a better flashlight than surefire?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I just got an email from battery junction. They are giving 10% today on all purchases. Just thought I'd pass it along.

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Enter coupon code: SUMMERSALE to get 10% off of your entire order for 25 hours only![/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Coupon expires: 6/21/12[/FONT]Visit: BatteryJunction.com Today!

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    That is subjective. A Chinese flashlight is made by a factory of staff whose entire wages add up to very little. Where Surefire employs quite a few American's who make a very good wages. When you think of it that way a $50 Fenix light is way more overpriced than a $100 Surefire.

I personally like the $25-$35 Solarforce lights that are Surefire clones. I have owned many, and they are as durable as SUrefires. Bright LED tech too (they have XM-L modules, as well as other modules)

I prefer Eagletacs over anything else, because I like their features and output the most. But, I judge most flashlights against the $25-$30 Solarforce L2. When I see something that costs a lot, I quite often think to myself: "a $25 solarforce is better than that."

tussery

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Corpus Christi
    I personally like the $25-$35 Solarforce lights that are Surefire clones. I have owned many, and they are as durable as SUrefires. Bright LED tech too (they have XM-L modules, as well as other modules)
    In everyday situations I would say yes they are as durable. I would not go so far to say they are as durable as a Surefire. Surefires are pretty damn stout and are made of a better aluminum than most cheap clones. Much like a Aimpoint is as durable for range use as a Primary Arms, but put them through abuse that no civilian would think to put optics through the Aimpoint will last longer.

There is a reason why Surefire has been around since 1979 and Chinese light companies come and go.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I use a flashlight all day at work, and I'm a Streamlight fan. Check out their rechargeables, awesome not buying batteries.

+1 on stream light I have a surefire 6P LED and a stinger LED I think the quality from both companies are comparable but streamlight is my choice of the two.

tap talked from a phone yeah im on my phone! it's crazy!

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    In everyday situations I would say yes they are as durable. I would not go so far to say they are as durable as a Surefire. Surefires are pretty damn stout and are made of a better aluminum than most cheap clones. Much like a Aimpoint is as durable for range use as a Primary Arms, but put them through abuse that no civilian would think to put optics through the Aimpoint will last longer.

There is a reason why Surefire has been around since 1979 and Chinese light companies come and go.

Really? Than why did one of my SureFires crap out?

Sorry, while I would usually agree with your line of logic; in this case it doesn't apply. The "Chinese" fliTP flashlight I have is just as durable and dependable than any SureFire I've owned (if not more). It's been to hell and back (I'm a DoD contractor and travel a lot) and other than a few small chips in the paint, it looks and operates like new.

Spend your money as you like, but to answer the original question there is no doubt that there are many better (and cheaper!) flashlights than SureFire on the market!

tussery

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Corpus Christi
    Really let's think about that one. What is the average person going to do when a $20 light breaks? Buy another one and forget about it. What is someone going to do when a $100+ flashlight breaks. Go on the internet and bitch about it to no end.

Edit: Shit happens, Aimpoints, EOTechs, Nightforces and ACOGs have failed too, but they are still on a whole better than a BSA.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Well, I have a $40 Chinese-made flashlight that works better and outlasted the $80 SureFire I replaced with it, so forgive me for having a difference of opinion!

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I keep a surefire micro stream around my neck at all times and an old fenix pd10 in my pocket. I like them both for their intended purpose. Thanks to this thread I will be adding an eagle tac d25c to my flashlight collection(fetish).

MicroStream is Streamlight. Great lights, I have one in my pocket all the time. I gave a few away as Christmas presents a couple of years ago, they were such big hits, I still get thanked for them.

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    Until you've used Eagletacs and tried them, or some of the other brands mentioned above, how can you say the Surefires are better? Because everyone else says they are?

Roscoe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Magnolia
    I have 7 or 8 surefires. My agency would give me one everytime they sent me tdy or pcs to Iraq or Afghanistan. I got my first one in late 2001, it
    and all the others still work fine. Only thing you need to remember is when to make sure the damn thing won't come on in your pocket while you're
    riding in a chopper or vehicle. Guys with you won't let you know; its too funny watching you burn a blister on your leg and jumping around like a
    chicken with its head cut off.

I'm sure there must be better lights out there by now, but I never had a reason to complain about my surefires.

tussery

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Corpus Christi
    Until you've used Eagletacs and tried them, or some of the other brands mentioned above, how can you say the Surefires are better? Because everyone else says they are?

...You think I haven't used other lights? There is a reason I only keep SureFires...

Brighter doesn't make a light better. Let's talk about the R&D that Chinese light makers do when a new LED comes out. None, which is why they are always head of SureFire. SureFire has to do R&D and testing on their lights to meet their ISO9001:2008 requirements just to release a new light. Hence why they always seem to be behind the 8 ball.

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    Almost every light is made in China now. But, some are better than others.

I am on very good terms with a specific vendor. He sells a ton of eagletacs to law enforcement. I have several, and they are my personal favorite. Nothing wrong with Surefire if that is your personal favorite. I still say its not fair to complain about other brands without direct personal usage of them.

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    Okay, just because I am soon to be in this market. Can you guys give me a top 5 list (in your opinion) of your best bang for buck lights?

Price and size need to be stated...

I sold a few recently, as I was up to 30 lights... And, I typically only use a handful with regularity. Years from now, my "collection," would be outdated. So, I sold several and actually had enough money to buy a M&P Shield last month :)

Anyway, I have a lot of experience with lights...My top 3 are:

1. Eagletac T20C2 MK II ( EagleTac T20C2 MKII - 720 Lumen ) Actually now it is 770 Lumens (626 ANSI Lumens) with the XM-L U2 LED that just came out. - $89.99
    2. Eagletac P20C2 Mk II ( EagleTac P20C2 MKII - 720 Lumens ) 720 Lumens (524 ANSI Lumens) with the XM-L T6 LED - $73.99

Those 2 are lights that can be put in your pocket. My current fav is just slightly over that size, however.

3. The Jetbeam BC40. 830 actual out the front lumens. I use this one nightly. The reflector is bigger (since the light is made just slightly bigger than something pocketable), and it has a great combination of flood and throw. Obviously, my 2200 lumen Fenix TK70 puts more light out, but the Tk70 is also much bigger and heavier. I really love the Jetbeam BC40. It's like $70. (Last light on this page: http://www.illuminationgear.com/374482.html )

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Just as a gun is only as good as the bullets it fires, a flashlight is only as good as the light it shines. Whatever it is, as long as it has a quality LED in it and a good body, you're there. Surefire is extremely overpriced IMO. They use the same Cree LEDs the cheap flashlights use. Not to say Cree is a crappy LED company; it's very good. It's just not as expensive as Surefire sells it for.

Here's my take on the subject. People seem to be happy with it:

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...101-high-quality-inexpensive-flashlights.html

This thread London mentions, is still one of my favorites on the site. 4 Flashlights later, I'm still loving it.

Texasslinger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    houston
    I puchased a Coast brand flashlight HP7. It uses 4 AAA. I recharge them every few days. The light was around $50 and the batteries about $20. So for 70 I got a pretty good deal. I was looking at the rechargeable Streamlight. I like not having to remove the batteries to charge and I think it comes with an extra battery too. They sell somewhat decent knives, though made in China, Korea etc. I like to stick with American made knives. Flashlights I could go either way.
    High Performance Flashlights | LED Flashlights | Coast Flashlights

Top Bottom