• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    My dogs usually like to be outside but the last few days they don't want to deal with the heat.
    Last year at this time Renfield was content in digging holes all over to lay in to stay cool. He was much on drinking water and hates bathes.

Now he content to soak up the a/c and wants fresh water on demand. He’s finally becoming less skittish, and started popping up on the bed. I keep trying to coax him into the UTV to go for a ride but that ain’t happening yet.

I need to get out and finish washing the the hog eliminator, then give Renfield a bath he still is shedding a lot of hair and a bath will loosen it all up.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    When I was a kid, I don't remember ever being affected by the heat. I know the summer of 1980 was brutally hot, and I was 9 years old, which means I was running around outside almost 100% of the day every day that summer.

Today? Yeah, all my plans went in the toilet because it was so damn hot. Maybe if there had been at least a slight breeze...

That summer I ran a hay truck and we mostly worked in river bottoms. Not much breeze.

I ran two crews. 6am to around 1. Then another from 6pm to around 1am.

I barely slept, but I made a crap ton of money that summer. Doing that schedule made the heat bearable.

Waco area had 45 consecutive days of over 100.

I don't know how I survived childhood. We had no AC in the house or vehicles. It was pretty humid in Seguin. I remember being a bit uncomfortable at night trying to sleep. Had an old oscillating fan and opened the windows in my bedroom. I don't remember the heat bothering me much during the day.

Same at my house. But in 1971 my dad had a heart attack so we got central air. Thought I had gone to heaven.

Last edited:

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Bedroom on the 2nd floor, no AC. Open windows brought the stock yards or Bendix jet engine testing noise. Managed to survive that.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Spent the summer of 1981 scrapping asbestos and caked on gravel off pipe carts and then scooping fresh gravel onto the carts. Fun since it was out in the uncovered pipe yard and we had to wear respirators. Back in the day when 20' asbestos pipe was still made.

Nicholst55

Retired, Twice.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Houston Area
    Maybe I’m nuts, but this heat doesn’t bother me. We lived in AZ for 22 years and as long as the humidity isn’t 80% and in the shade it’s tolerable.

You get acclimated to it. I worked at Yuma Proving Ground for five years, not exclusively outdoors, but frequently. Anything under 100 was 'cool.' But, I was somewhat younger back then.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    We’re all Texans and used to dealing with heat thru the years, but dadgum it, seems tougher nowadays.

Is very difficult for me to be outside in heat more than a few minutes except early morning. I get dizzy and get a rapid heart rate walking to and from my truck. Wow have I changed at age 76. We keep our blinds/shades drawn all day, lights turned off (they do generate heat) except minimal at night. Ceiling and floor fans going all day blowing on us, stat set on 78 and is actually pretty comfortable. We have definitely noticed that keeping the shades drawn and keeping sun out is a huge plus !! Just like opening them on a cold day lets in that same heat. We all know those tips but wanted to refresh anyway. Can you imagine all those northerners and left coasters who moved here this past 9 months? Maybe they will go back ?
    I have been in TX and AR now for over years. Yes the summers have ben hot but they do not compare to those in the Imperial Valley of CA wherein I spent 4 years as a Border Patrol agent.I also spent at least 4, maybe 5 summers in Las Vegas where it also gets hotter. Add that to 5 3 month or longer details to AZ and one to Laredo, Tx. So it is hot, why would that make anyone who left shitgolesvlike NY want to go back to those commies dystopias.you Texans sure are prejudiced based upon where someone came from. It is shameful. Happy I moved from TX to AR, I don't get crap like that here.

Top Bottom