• ...and so much more!
  • SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    We’re all Texans and used to dealing with heat thru the years, but dadgum it, seems tougher nowadays.

Is very difficult for me to be outside in heat more than a few minutes except early morning. I get dizzy and get a rapid heart rate walking to and from my truck. Wow have I changed at age 76. We keep our blinds/shades drawn all day, lights turned off (they do generate heat) except minimal at night. Ceiling and floor fans going all day blowing on us, stat set on 78 and is actually pretty comfortable. We have definitely noticed that keeping the shades drawn and keeping sun out is a huge plus !! Just like opening them on a cold day lets in that same heat. We all know those tips but wanted to refresh anyway. Can you imagine all those northerners and left coasters who moved here this past 9 months? Maybe they will go back ?

Pray for our power grid and cooler weather soon

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    When I was a kid, I don't remember ever being affected by the heat. I know the summer of 1980 was brutally hot, and I was 9 years old, which means I was running around outside almost 100% of the day every day that summer.

Today? Yeah, all my plans went in the toilet because it was so damn hot. Maybe if there had been at least a slight breeze...

Last edited:

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Typical August here.
    All heat. No chance of rain.

But it's a dry heat.
    I do things early and late in the day.
    Siesta is after lunch till 4ish.
    Then I ease into the evening.

I've never seen the cactus suffer like this before though.
    Some are dead. I thought el Nino would last through this year.
    I guess I was wrong.

Pray for rain.

gamboolman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Spring, Texas - Retired
    When I was a kid, I don't remember ever being affected by the heat. I know the summer of 1980 was brutally hot, and I was 9 years old, which means I was running around outside almost 100% of the day every day that summer.

Today? Yeah, all my plans went in the toilet because it was so damn hot. Maybe if there had been at least a slight breeze...
    I was Roughnecking for Delta Drilling Company in Central Texas that summer of 1980.

Being young, it was just hot....I was used to it.

We worked 8 days on and 4 days off. I was dating ms gamboolgal then and all I was worried about was Days Off so I could go be with her.

We're coming up on 43 year married soon.

My favorite thing to do in retirement is just the same as what it was that summer of 1980.... and that's chasing ms gamboolgal buck neckid around the ole 4 Poster.... ha

I cooked up some Yard Birds today on the back patio and it was dam hot and unpleasant....Can't take the heat like what I could back in 1980... go figure... ha !

ETA: I just realized that my Avatar is from that summer with ms gamboolgal sat on my knee at her folks house. I'm in Delta coveralls and a hat.... Snowballs chance in Hell I could fit in them coveralls no more... ha !
    I donated them and a lot of Oilfield souvenirs and paraphernalia from 44 year working in the Oilpatch to the Oil Field Museum in Kilgore a couple year ago...

Last edited:

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I don't know how I survived childhood. We had no AC in the house or vehicles. It was pretty humid in Seguin. I remember being a bit uncomfortable at night trying to sleep. Had an old oscillating fan and opened the windows in my bedroom. I don't remember the heat bothering me much during the day.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    Don't quote me but I read a warmer winter is coming. Good thing for A/C, I know a guy with no A/C, when I ride by his house around 6:45 am his front door is wide open. He uses the old ways of keeping his house ventilated. I remember hearing about a stray cat living in his house.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Heat didn't bother me when I was young, except sometimes at night. We had no A/C and whatever fan was blowing never moved enough air. You just had to lay in bed and sweat until you didn't care anymore. Clear hot days were good for putting up hay, with a break after lunch to lay underneath a big tree and maybe a breeze to get cooled off. Two-a-days for football were the same way - we started before the sun was up and then took a break in the heat of the afternoon before starting back up in the evening. The tshirt I wore under my shoulder pads would hang on a hook and would be as stiff as a board from the sweat when it dried out. Sometimes the coaches would hand out salt tablets. I suppose that's considered bad for you now. But when the power was off after the hurricane, that heat was just miserable. I had a limb fall from an oak tree the other day and I had to take at least half a dozen breaks to cool off while I cut it up and loaded it in the truck. Is it old age that makes the heat seem worse, or am I just spoiled from having A/C?

I do know that I was never good at tolerating cold weather, and I spent a few years living in upstate NY back during the oil and natural gas bust freezing by butt off. I have a "mad bomber" hat made from a rabbit pelt that will make your head sweat if it's over 20 F, and I wore it quite a bit up there. My poor Golden Retriever tried to take a leak after a snow, and every time she squatted she'd contact that snow and let out a yelp and run 10 feet before trying again. It was funny, but I felt sorry for her. I seriously think it took me 10 years back in Texas before I thawed out from that adventure. It taught me a valuable lesson: There isn't enough gold in Ft. Knox to get me to live north of the Red River every again. The electric bill may make me cry, but I'll pay it to keep the house cool.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    104.4 yesterday per my weatherstation and should be 107 today. High for the year so far has been 105.8 with a low of 9.7.

Due to various reasons, I really don't sweat anymore. I worked on my truck in the garage yesterday morning for 2 hours and had a floor fan running on high to keep me from overheating. Oddly enough, I'm cold natured (probably age related) and if our highs would be mid-90s or less then I'd be happy. Anything over 100 just feels like running into a wall when going outside.

I'll stay in the AC this week. It was having an issue keeping things cooled down at 100 and the repair guy found it was a little low due to the schrader valve having a leak around 3 weeks ago.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I don't know how I survived childhood. We had no AC in the house or vehicles. It was pretty humid in Seguin. I remember being a bit uncomfortable at night trying to sleep. Had an old oscillating fan and opened the windows in my bedroom. I don't remember the heat bothering me much during the day.
    As a kid during the summer when it was 100 outside it increased the chances of going to the recreation club to go swimming. My mom didn’t drive the neighbor lady across the street did. So six kids and two moms loaded up in a station wagon. Often we got to eat concession food there, which was really high lifting it.

It never occurred to me that my dad was stuck at work busting his ass while we were high living it at the beach, eating a corn dog while he ate a sandwich out of a lunch bucket. We always had to leave early enough for mom to make dinner when the old man got home.

I never did well outside in summers. I’d sun burn until blistered. As I got old I would really peter out cutting grass in the heat to the point of heat exhaustion. After moving to Houston and getting on as an apprentice meat cutter I remember my dad saying it was probably the best place for me to work was in the market.

Top Bottom