Texas SOT

Interesting incident while walking the dog.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    However you still might be charged with local laws pertaining to shooting firearms within city limits for example.
    And it would break my heart to shoot a dog. People suck but all dogs start out cool.
    Maybe, can cities legally override state law?

I don't kill anything without purpose and, while I love animals, I have no reservation in shooting a potentially dangerous dog, or anything else.
    Guns International

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    More than likely. That's where a police report could help in the future.
    Lol. Not a dig, but you should have known that. But I have done the same. Walked away when I should have reported something and they did later on. Made me look bad from the start. We all learn.

from an idgit coffeeholic

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I belong to a forum type website called "Nextdoor" that our neighborhood is on.
    How do you like it? I thought about signing up, but they don't give you the option of just seeing what people are posting before signing up. I've heard some stories about their neighborhood nextdoor being real crappy and I'd rather not put all my info in there if that's the case.

I would wait until the next time. If they come up to you and appologize, all is good. If they come to you and things get sideways again, it's clearly them that came after you.
    I endorse this message.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    More than likely. That's where a police report could help in the future.
    Lol. Not a dig, but you should have known that. But I have done the same. Walked away when I should have reported something and they did later on. Made me look bad from the start. We all learn.

from an idgit coffeeholic

Dispatch made a call ticket. And my call is recorded digitally. I think I am OK there.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Its not overriding state law, else you could be charged with both. They are separate things.
    This happened in Fort Worth not too long ago (in city limits) and he was never charged with anything to do with discharging his pistol. They cited the law saying he was able to defend his dog and that was that. That's why I asked.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Open carry comes to mind. Not pistol, but something like a GoPro. If you prefer concealed you could visit your local spy shop and get the video that is hidden in some glasses or a pen or something.

Recording any possible future confrontations will help in two ways as I see it. Reminds you to behave because you're on video (or at least the audio portion) and catches anything illegal they might or might not do.

If you'd rather just rant, I'd rather rant about people driving and texting. But I can't actually video them without implicating myself for not paying attention while driving.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Open carry comes to mind. Not pistol, but something like a GoPro. If you prefer concealed you could visit your local spy shop and get the video that is hidden in some glasses or a pen or something.

Recording any possible future confrontations will help in two ways as I see it. Reminds you to behave because you're on video (or at least the audio portion) and catches anything illegal they might or might not do.

If you'd rather just rant, I'd rather rant about people driving and texting. But I can't actually video them without implicating myself for not paying attention while driving.

Funny you mention Go Pro. I talked to my wife about getting one today. I wear a camel pack when I am out, and the shoulder strap is a perfect place to mount one. :)

james.long48

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2015
    This happened in Fort Worth not too long ago (in city limits) and he was never charged with anything to do with discharging his pistol. They cited the law saying he was able to defend his dog and that was that. That's why I asked.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk
    I looked up the law on this recently, similar incident with a loose dog in the neighborhood. However my kick was enough to get him to leave my border collies alone.

In Texas you are protected to defend your domestic animals or livestock from dogs. However there is no specific law dealing with protecting yourself or family members. You must absolutely be able to prove discharging a firearm was absolutely necessary.

However I don't take walks without carrying. Too many crazy animals and people these days.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!

Dash cam! You can pick up an inexpensive one and a decent SD card, and you can video all the time while you drive. I've had one in the Jeep for about a year now, and am amazed at some of the stuff I capture on video! Heck, the first week I had it I almost had a head-on collision when a truck turned in front of me while I had a green light. Luckily I was able to avoid him, but if there was an accident I had the evidence I needed to show I had the right-of-way!

I had to cut the video short to remove the choice comments I made afterward!

Cheers! M2

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Dash cam! You can pick up an inexpensive one and a decent SD card, and you can video all the time while you drive. I've had one in the Jeep for about a year now, and am amazed at some of the stuff I capture on video! Heck, the first week I had it I almost had a head-on collision when a truck turned in front of me while I had a green light. Luckily I was able to avoid him, but if there was an accident I had the evidence I needed to show I had the right-of-way!

Cheers! M2

I would definitely need a "no audio" version.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth

Cheers! M2

Video is good, background music needs work

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    If it's a city ord that pets be leashed, she can face consequences.

TXI, I'd have been as mad as you were, and I probably would have felt the same after. Don't sweat it. Sometimes we get caght off guard just right. It's hard to be "ON" in work mode all the time where you have to be the nice one.

Good move calling Dispatch (particularly because shooting and guns were mentioned), though, you should have stuck around for the report. An RP that leaves the scene is a real peeve, especially when it will forward the process on an ongoing problem that needs resolution. Start tallying up those Calls For Service at her address (OFCs will be sick of going there and it will be noticed). When she's got that history of Animal Call/Aggressive Dog or off-leash violations that can be handed over to ACO (even as soon as the first dog attack). They'll now be on her case. They can take her dog. Aggressive and loose fits our city ords. enough that they are On Call for those.

Anyway, my course of action, slowly squeeze the vise on her. Inform all your neighbors to call PD Non-Emergent # and request an OFC or ACO fr a loose aggressive dog every single time. Take video if safe/possible. It will be immediately detrimental to her argument.

As for the verbal threats, that too is a call for service. You could have made those at the same time you were making the dog attack report.

I'm sorry to say you missed a very golden opportunity with this incident. There will be others from the sounds of it.

Top Bottom