ARJ Defense ad

Interesting incident while walking the dog.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Wife and I were on the last 1/4 mile of a 3 mile walk with our Huskey. We are walking down the last street before our street when we see a woman across the street with some little dog off leash. (Our dog is leashed) Then I see a HUGE doberman about 20 feet away from the woman. The dobie sees us and makes a bee line. The woman calls out to the dog, but he keeps coming. I try to step between he and my dog, but the dobie just runs around me. His hackles are up and he lunges and growls. I kicked out at the dog, but he dodged me. I yelled at the woman to control her dog, but she casually walks across the street like nothing is wrong. He dog lunges two or three more time, and I keep yanking my dog away and kicking out at the dobie. I made contact once or twice.

This woman tells me to calm down, and does nothing to get her dog under control. I tell her that there is a leash law and she needs to get her fucking dog under control. She just would do nothing to control her dog. She was so......casual, meanwhile I kick her dog again as he lunges. I am moving away from her dog with my husky, but the dobie keeps coming. She is walking around near me telling me I am stupid, telling me I am over-reacting (while I am trying to keep her dog off of my dog) I tell her that if he keeps lunging I am going to shoot her dog. At that point she actually moves in and takes control of her dogs collar and berates ME. I am disappointed in myself, because I then called her a dumb fucking c u n t. :(

She asked me to call the police, so I did. At that point she put her dog on the ground and leaned on him. She said she was going to send her husband to my house because I "threatened her" I told dispatch that. I had moved about 30 feet from her and her dog, and my sense caught up with me. I told dispatch I was not going to sit around and wait for a cop and allow the woman the opportunity to re-escalate.

Arrrgh... Now I KNOW that when I run down that street or walk the dog again that woman or her husband are going to confront me/us. :banghead:

Yes, I can avoid the street. However, it is the only street I can use that has sidewalks and connects to the rest of the neighborhood. :banghead::banghead:

On a side note, I belong to a forum type website called "Nextdoor" that our neighborhood is on. Back in December, a woman posted how her dog (off leash) ran up to an older woman whose little dog was on leash. The older woman walked with a cane, and she used it to hit the off leash dog. The woman was offended and upset that the elderly woman hit her dog with the cane. I don't get that thinking. I have to wait until your dog bites me or my dog before I decide if it is dangerous or not?

No point or question, I guess, just a rant.

Next time maybe I'll just pop the dog and say nothing.
    Capitol Armory ad

Last edited:

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Screw them, I'd keep doing what I do and not let them disrupt my routine. If her husband confronts you, call the police. If he gets physical, defend yourself.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I understand. We walk with the dog leashed. He's very protective of my wife. I honestly don't trust him off leash outside our yard.

The "lady" needs to pull her head out of her ass.

Popcorn emoticon, just for good measure. Heh.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    You know the rules. Do what you must and go to sleep with no regrets.
    On another note. Our dogs are like family and there's no reason to berate yourself for being human when your family is being attacked.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Screw them, I'd keep doing what I do and not let them disrupt my routine. If her husband confronts you, call the police. If he gets physical, defend yourself.

Yeah, that's how I see it. I DO feel bad, and wrong" for calling her a name. I teach conflict deescalation, and name calling is certainly not in the lesson plan.

My wife told me she would have felt completely helpless had she been walking the dog alone. She carries OC, but that dobie was on us so fast...

I was running alone one night when a pit bull ran up behind me and starting posturing, growling and barking. I drew my pistol, then remembered someone once told me to raise my arms and make "big" and yell at the dog. I did and that dog didn't move forward. He stood there until a bicyclist got his attention and he ran off.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I don't blame you one iota. I would have waited for the police and see if they issue her a citation. Then maybe, or maybe not file a complaint. Let the city hit her in the pocketbook.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Dont beat yourself up over calling her the name. You were in a high adrenaline situation. Bumming out over it doesn't change it or help it. I doubt your wife is disappointed in how you reacted. She is probably proud that you protected her and the dog. If someone who caused the entire situation with her dog has her feelings hurt, who cares . Screw her, she caused the situation and she's lucky all that happened was getting called a name. She could be burying her dog right now. Turned out good, no one was hurt (except her feelings maybe), and you didn't shoot the dog.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Shoulda been on a leash. If that happened on a walk with my kids I would have shot it for sure.

Im not gonna mess around with a big friggin Doberman.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I am disappointed in myself, because I then called her a dumb fucking c u n t. :(

You may be be disappointed, but I am elated! However it would have been better if you wife said it!

Not sure why the cops were called, nobody hurt move, do not invite the man into your life.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I think we should always evaluate our performance in these situations. I regret the name, but I am not going to lose sleep over it.

Thanks for the insight. Keep the comments coming. I'll be up at 6 to read the other posts here. ;)

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    You may be be disappointed, but I am elated! However it would have been better if you wife said it!

Not sure why the cops were called, nobody hurt move, do not invite the man into your life.

I was hoping they would cite her for dog off leash. ( and her tone when she told me to call was kinda "I dare ya") However, I realized the wait would allow the woman to call for her husband to come to the scene or other re-escalation. That's why I told dispatch never mind. Wasn't worth it.

When the woman said she would send her husband to our house, my wife did ask her if she was that stupid.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I think we should always evaluate our performance in these situations. I regret the name, but I am not going to lose sleep over it.

Name itself is not the issue IMO, but were your emotions out of control when you said it? Big difference. Using potty mouth like that to control a situation is good, bad if you are saying because you are out of control.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I was hoping they would cite her for dog off leash. ( and her tone when she told me to call was kinda "I dare ya") However, I realized the wait would allow the woman to call for her husband to come to the scene or other re-escalation. That's why I told dispatch never mind. Wasn't worth it.

When the woman said she would send her husband to our house, my wife did ask her if she was that stupid.

Yes, bad could have gotten worse if he was drunk and came out, armed.....

BCGlocker

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2015
    El Paso, TX
    I am sorry to hear your experience with this very unconsidered woman. It is not the Doberman's fault; it is 100% the stupid woman's faults.

My two dogs are my family members and I will do "everything" to protect them. My dogs and I walk 5.5 miles 4-5 times each week. One of my constant concerns is my dogs being attacked by stray dogs. My dogs have been attached twice in the past five years; this is what I have learned.

I love dogs, but I will not hesitate to shoot an aggressive dog that intent to kill members of my family. Thanks goodness, I have never reach that level. I also carry "bear spray" with me and I will use it before I use the gun (I had the safety off twice and used it once). What I have found effective is as the dogs charged toward us, I will step in the front and shut out loudly and extremely aggressively in a pissed off way "NO!” I show no fear and hyper agrees ion. In several occasions, the approaching dogs are startled and will either slow down or stop dead in their tracks. In the meanwhile, it gave me time to get the safety off my bear spray and ready to go to work if needed.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Name itself is not the issue IMO, but were your emotions out of control when you said it? Big difference. Using potty mouth like that to control a situation is good, bad if you are saying because you are out of control.

Emotions make us human.
    I hope you have some.

ScorpionHunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Driftwood
    I'm sorry for you. That is a crappy situation with no good options. My only suggestion is to document every time you see the dog off leash. Pull out your phone and record as much as you can.

Earlier this year in my little town we had accusations between neighbors about one's loose dog attacking and killing the other's. Lots of anger on both sides. Each convinced she was 100% correct. The issue made it before the monthly city council meeting, and it was the highest attended meeting I've seen. Dogs get everybody's interest. An animal control officer came and told us what he could and couldn't do. Basically, you need some proof that it's this specific dog that's causing the problem, and it comes from this specific house or this is its owner. That gives animal control something to work with.

Top Bottom