• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Decided to check out a local pawn shop looking for a good .22 plinker. The owner asked what i was looking for and i replied "just a .22 pistol for plinkin'.''
    After looking over his cabinet and trying to show me several 22 pocket revolvers he gave up saying that was all he had. As i was glancing over a couple of glocks on the bottom shelf i noticed a Beretta Neos. I played dumb and asked spmething along the lines of "whats that one?" He takes it out realizing its a .22 and hands it to me saying what good guns Beretta makes and how nice the sights are. I looked it over not letting on that i was hoping to find a neos but willing to take a ruger or browning if i crossed a good deal. BTW, front sight was alittle wide for my taste but i can cope for a $200 pistol that is comfortable and reliable. I flipped the tag over and almost fell down. $489 for this 4.5 inch slab side neos, no extras, and needing a good cleaning. I first thought the tag may have been written wrong and asked If it was $189, He looked at the tag smiling "No, its $489" I remarked that it seemed kinda high and was informed that beretta not cheap and it was a good price on this type of "target" pistol. I couldn't help it even though i new better. "hell, they sell'em new for 200 bucks, the target models are 250". Apparently this offended him quiet a bit and he began ranting about how he has to make a living and people like me want something for free. I wasn't really angry and for some reason though maybe alittle common sense might have a positive effect. I offered to show him the new price on my phone from academy at which time i was informed that he wasn't interested and if i didn't like his prices i could go elsewhere. I thanked him for his time and left. I guess i wasn't actually banned so much as have no reason to return. I'm sure he would be very nice if i went back with $500 bucks for a $200 gun. Not really angry about the situation and did not enter the pawn shop expecting to find the deal of a lifetime. Honestly figured the price would be close to that of new but would save the trouble of driving to waco. I really didn't expect to find a 250% markup on a used gun. Crazy bastard.

Edit: just checked academy website, Identical pistol is $229
    DK Firearms

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    There is one pawn shop near me that i wont even walk into anymore. The best pricing i saw on any gun in his shop was 300% over new. But there are a few around here that i walk into at least 2-3 times a week because im always finding good deals there.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    Yup. Pawn shops arent like they used to be. No haggling and its what the computer says the price is.

If im in a pawn shop and they wont even try to haggle i just walk out. I know that they have to make money but i also have a very good idea of what they paid for what im trying to buy.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If im in a pawn shop and they wont even try to haggle i just walk out. I know that they have to make money but i also have a very good idea of what they paid for what im trying to buy.

I figure he probably gave around $100 for this gun and knows its value. I would also bet he manages to sell it to some poor sap who doesn't know any better.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I make it a point to haggle at pawn shops and never pay sticker. $230 out the door for a Ruger MK II bull barrel 5.5 blued 2x magazines that hadn't been shot much at all was a good find at one. Sticker was around that $450 to start.

With how little they pay for guns I think it's all fair game.

kurt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Tyler, Texas
    If they paid anything for them, I might be sypathetic. I recently watched a local shop offer an old timer $100 for a Remington 700 in 30.06 (Monte Carlo style stock) with a Leupold scope and a Model 12 Winchester 12 gauge shotgun, both in good to excellent shape. He took it. I should have doubled his offer at least.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    if youre in the store, you can always side swipe their business. they wont like you for it, but atleast both of you will make out. both of you being the seller/buyer.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    I know a pawn broker.

They have a guide for all kinds of merchandise, which lists the "fair market value" with a high and low range.

They usually list merchandise at the high end, unless they have something that has not moved in weeks.

Never pay asking price: They always loan low for what they take in from people pawning their stuff, less than 30% of actual value, IIRC.

Be well.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    This is the second pawn shop i have been to which refusd to budge on price, the first was much friendlier about there no haggle policy, still i have no plans of returning to either. I guess i just need to start goin to the big city shops. Oh well, i would prefer the target model anyways, or maybe just hold put for a glock or millenium pro. Just have to see which bug bites me when the opportunity strikes. man i love being addicted to guns.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I have been fortunate to find a bargain at a pawn shop but not often. They cater to people who are desperate for money so they low ball their offers to purchase. On the selling side, they look for people who are too stupid to know that their prices are higher than new, retail. The whole scene is pretty depressing so I try to leave them alone since I'm neither desperate or stupid.

Flash

kurt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Tyler, Texas
    I occasionally find a good deal like the Sig P220 for $475, but more often than not, the prices are just stupid and they won't go down enough for me to consider buying.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    Most of the deals i get at pawn shops aren't for newer weapons. I have pulled antiques and early 20th century stuff for alot cheaper than i could sell them for. Also i have a pretty good thing going with a couple of the shops around me, when i let them know I'm interested in something its usually a 25% drop right then and there and sometimes the haggling starts there and others i just take the deal but i have built a report with the managers and owner.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I've found some good deals in pawn shops, but never on firearms. Every pawn shop I've been to seems to think their guns are worth their weight in gold.

bullgator

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Houston TX
    Pawn shops for the most part are a bunch of idiots when it comes to retail. They make their money on loans (220% +/-) It is all about rolling their money not trying to hold someone up on the retail side. YOu can go into some pound shops and it looks like they still have their first loan gone bad in stock 6 - 10 years later. LOL When these idiots go wild on retail and thank them for their time after pointing out of course that they want more than retail and then walk out. Some just cannot see the forest but for the trees.

DMC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    Navasota
    People in all walks of life learn to believe their own BS, pawn shop owners are better than most at it.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I've found several good deals on used guns at pawn shops, but the ratio of well-priced guns to exorbitantly priced ones is honestly about 1:100. If you want good deals on used guns, your best bet is Shotgun News.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I found a Bersa .380 for $ 500. Manager had the audacity to tell merit was a Beretta, and it was a collectors item because it was misstamped "Bersa" at the Beretta factory in Italy. I just walked away.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I found a Bersa .380 for $ 500. Manager had the audacity to tell merit was a Beretta, and it was a collectors item because it was misstamped "Bersa" at the Beretta factory in Italy. I just walked away.

Holy crap! Where? And how long ago? I need a good laugh!

Top Bottom