• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    My current home feels almost indefensible by just 2 occupants. Every one of the 4 walls have large windows.

If things hit the fan, this would not serve as a fortress at all. If under attack, I won't turn on the lights inside the house of course, but I have my hands full here. Installed a couple if cameras, but that's only good as long as you have wifi and power.

Any suggestions, or what are you doing if you're in a similar situation?
    I don't know what your surroundings are like, if you have land, urban, suburban, rural or what so it's hard to suggest solid info based on that because it varies. A lot of it does apply to all areas though.

I would say if you're rural or semi rural, have it in your plans to not let anyone get within 100 yards of your house. I have rolls of barbed/concertina wire so I can funnel invaders to lanes of fire or avenues that are easier to watch. Work with natural barriers, keep cinder blocks, earth bags/sand bags on hand. Have a good relationship with your neighbors so you can have check points and security rotation that keeps people far away from your area.

Know what your neighbors skills are and who is armed. Have a way to communicate with your neighbors, designated runners if necessary. If someone can get within throwing range or shooting range of your house, I would be worried. You don't want to be burned out of your house.

I've heard many people say they will leave their house run down looking to detour people. In a SHTF WROL situation, people will ransack whether it looks occupied or not, just see if something can be scavenged. Of course all of this varies on the level of SHTF scenario we're in.

The best answer is to buy bugout property within a couple hours of your house, or move while you can. I know that's not always realistic for most people. At the least having a secondary location to bugout to if you just can't control the situation.
    Venture Surplus ad

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Having watched hurricane “evacuations’’ for 75 years. “bugging out”” is ridiculous unless one is in a really bad area.

Think of the crowds of desperate people, fuel shortages, lack or adequate law enforcement, clogged roads, etc.

We may die.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Having watched hurricane “evacuations’’ for 75 years. “bugging out”” is ridiculous unless one is in a really bad area.
    When it comes to disaster preparedness, this is the only thing that I believe is certain.

And even this isn't certain if you have enough warning. They may be paranoid but folks who leave Galveston and take up residence in a hotel in Dallas every time a hurricane enters the Gulf and any of the spaghetti models come anywhere close to Galveston are examples of successfully bugging out. But they're definitely the exception. And I don't think this thread was intended to address threats you can see coming a week away, anyway.

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

Think of the crowds of desperate people, fuel shortages, lack or adequate law enforcement, clogged roads, etc.

We may die.
    This is the hard one, because everyone has a different idea of what SHTF is. In a serious situation, I believe any area can turn bad real quick. Likely to happen, maybe not.

I would imagine Houston could turn ugly real fast, and usually you want to bugout before or after the rush. I wouldn't want to join the rush.

I agree generally though, it's gonna take a lot before I push out of my location. Bugging out only makes you a refugee in most situations, it's best to have that setup before hand and timed right.

If we're talking natural disaster type emergencies, I have enough regular stuff on hand to handle that normal stuff. I wouldn't really consider that SHTF type of stuff. When you know it's temporary and normalcy is near by for help. I guess New Orleans and NJ got hit with extended problems, those are usually in a different category in my head.

Last edited:

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    When it comes to disaster preparedness, this is the only thing that I believe is certain.

And even this isn't certain if you have enough warning. They may be paranoid but folks who leave Galveston and take up residence in a hotel in Dallas every time a hurricane enters the Gulf and any of the spaghetti models come anywhere close to Galveston are examples of successfully bugging out. But they're definitely the exception. And I don't think this thread was intended to address threats you can see coming a week away, anyway.
    <>

No, but just imagine the mess.

Metro ‘’Greater’’ Houston is some 65 miles wide and over 130 miles tall, ~4MM people.

<>

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Maybe it's less about having "bugout" property and more about having "garbage disposal" property....
    1711115726880.png

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Be careful. Transporting bodies can leave lots of potential evidence. I've watched too many Forensic Files.
    I'm more worried about the law shooting my dog then their ability to collect evidence. Not only he lake out here but plenty of vacant lots around plus pasture & oil /gas lands. As we all know Hogs & vultures gotta eat too.

Paul Saver

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2023
    North Texas
    Yes, but blaming all of it on the one bad actor is minimizing the problem. And ignorant. Ed Meese was NOT a Dem appointee.
    Almost every politician is a "bad actor". Deep state law enforcement is long out of control. The world system we live in now is close to collapse. My family.. We are going to enjoy each day as a gift and if we have to defend our lives against tyranny then we will rise up and do so. What a way to go!!
    IMG_7404.gif

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Almost every politician is "bad actor". Deep state law enforcement is long out of control. The world system we live in now is close to collapse. My family.. We are going to enjoy each day as a gift and if we have to defend our lives againt tyranny the we will rise up and do so. What a way to go!!

Just remember, apparently Eric Holder is the only one you need to worry about...

Top Bottom