Target Sports

IF the current bill becomes law, how will it change what you are doing now?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    To those that will OC (or anyone for that mater), will there be any thought or change as to where on your person you carry your handgun? Are you maybe considering different holsters, something with retention?

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    To those that will OC (or anyone for that mater), will there be any thought or change as to where on your person you carry your handgun? Are you maybe considering different holsters, something with retention?
    Will probably change from appendix to strong side..still concealed in public

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    when and if it goes into effect, CC will mean "Comfortable Carry" to me, because this fat boy will go OWB, but still concealed but now I can do it with comfort

RCK1999

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    when and if it goes into effect, CC will mean "Comfortable Carry" to me, because this fat boy will go OWB, but still concealed but now I can do it with comfort

Ha ha. You are so right. I'm there with you, especially when it's 150 degrees outside. My big concern is if we will see a proliferation of 30.07 signs.

DarkwingDuck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    My big concern is if we will see a proliferation of 30.07 signs.
    I believe the day one rate of 30.07 will be far less than 50% of the current 30.06 sign base

Those properties which have correctly posted 30.06 signs are most likely to be staying abreast of the pending legislation. Assuming the legislation is enacted sometime in the early summer, those places will have ~6 months to print, manufacture & install the new 30.07 signs.

The proposed 30.07 language is very similar to the current 30.06 language. A properly posted 30.06 sign is about by 2' x 2' by my casual observation. For a property owner to properly restrict both concealed and open carry via signage, he would need to dedicate ~2' x 4' of space to the signage. This is not an insignificant amount of display space, especially when considering many of these signs are posted on or directly adjacent to entrance doors. Rarely have I seen a 30.06 sign posted by itself. Other notifications are posted as well - TABC, NS/NS/NS, Store Hours, etc. The layout of these will need to be considered when adding the new 30.07 sign and IMHO will slow down initial adoption.

I would not expect new adoption to be high either. I don't believe many property owners will choose to solely prohibit open carry. Those properties which choose to post new 30.07 signs (where no 30.06 sign currently exists) are likely to be caught up in the MDA/Bloomberg emotion-driven rhetoric, which is already a small, if not waning, number. Wanting to restrict open carry - and learning the new language - will lead them to learn of the 30.06 sign required to restrict concealed carry. Now they are posting two signs and learning their current gunbuster sign is, and has been, worthless. Will there be new 30.07 signs? Of course. Despite much internet conjecture, I don't believe there exists a significant number of property owners whom are okay with concealed carry but not open carry.

Something interesting to consider is the slight difference in the language between 30.06 and 30.07. 30.06 requires a sign "is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public" (link). As currently engrossed in SB17, 30.07 would require a sign that "is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public at each entrance to the property." (link) There are some examples of current 30.06 signs which do not meet the 30.07 location requirement - and they wouldn't need to. This could lead to an unique case where a 30.06 is posted apart from a 30.07 sign at a given location. In theory a CHL holder, while concealed carrying, could walk through a side entrance which has a 30.07 sign while the sole 30.06 sign is posted elsewhere. As has been theorized, but not yet tested in a court of law, said CHL holder would not have been given proper notice for 30.06. Would an unintentional display (an OWB pistol in "comfort carry" becomes briefly visible while adjusting or reaching) be protected by 30.06 or considered a violation of 30.07?

DWD

Top Bottom