• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Charlie, you do realize that the NFPA is NOT written by the federal government, right? Sorry of like the NEC, another useless trespass I guess. Damn those standards

Yes. So let me re-state my thoughts. Any entity, group, etc., etc., that gets it's nose under the tent should be watched carefully. What they say and what they do and where they are going just "might" be a slippery slope. I'm sorry to say I have become very distrusting in my old age because of what I have witnessed over the years.
    Hurley's Gold

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I'd say a minimum of 50 yrs. or more. What do you think will happen to it after a certain period of time? It's not going to turn to dust or slime, etc. (stored properly). I've got some .22 ammo that I shot in the mid fifties and again last summer (stored in the magazine in a drawer).

(my guess would be 454,272 hrs., minimum, stored properly :green:)

I was considering humidity or condensation being a problem if it were that sensitive. I have shot old ammo before but I did not consider that to be a problem since it is sealed to some degree. I have washed ammo in the clothes washer a half a dozen tomes and it fired just fine lol but I did quit carrying it in my EDC. I have not begun to reload and was curious of the shelf life.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    It isn't going to get humid and/or have condensation in a closed container. I've been told that powder that smells bad (sour?) has become to old but I've never had any that smelled bad. You may be over-thinking it (kinda' like trying to find a problem or issue that doesn't exist).

My best guess is 50 yrs.+ :green:

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Quantities exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg), but not exceeding 50 lb (22.7 kg), may be stored in residences if kept in a wooden box or cabinet having walls or at least 1-inc. (25.4-mm) nominal thickness.
    Hmm... What protection would a wooden box provide? If a spark gets in there it'll just be a wooden grenade :laughing:

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    It is a greatly scientific explanation. I recently pulled some google jitzu on it myself, if I can dig it back up ill post a link. But to answer the question, powder does have a finite shelf life dependent on how and where it's stored. The powder itself will tell you when it has gone bad but special attention should be paid to signs of powder going bad.

The sniff test will give away bad powder, if it smells sour, like muratic acid fumes, something that burns your nostrils, it's bad.

If it smells mildly sweet and similar to rubbing alcohol or paint thinner, or zero smell, it's still good.

When you open a container, if gas emits or red dust swirls out, it's bad. If the powder looks like it's got rust on it, it's bad.

The older metal cans are susceptible to sweating internally causing the powders molecular structure to decompose and become unstable. Check metal cans for rust internally and externally for rust (oxidation).

In ammo that has already been loaded, expanding gasses can cause the case neck to become brittle and crack or start oxidizing the brass.

If a favorite load gradually or immediately begins having wide velocity spreads or throwing lead where it wouldn't normally go, be suspect of your powder. (Or get your eyesight checked.)

Disposal suggestion for bad powder is as a lawn fertilizer.

Powder stored in a climate controlled area within a sealed container will last a long time, how long depends on how unstable it is to begin with. A single base will decompose at a different rate than a double base.

Be careful and use your head about what you trust your life with.

just my .02

heres the link. http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=448203

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The sniff test will give away bad powder, if it smells sour, like muratic acid fumes, something that burns your nostrils, it's bad.

If it smells mildly sweet and similar to rubbing alcohol or paint thinner, or zero smell, it's still good.

When you open a container, if gas emits or red dust swirls out, it's bad. If the powder looks like it's got rust on it, it's bad.
    Best summary so far and, having experienced all those permutations, one I totally agree with. How much do I agree with it? I spent a good deal of money on a large quantity of very old 4895 a while back. I had only the sellers word the powder was good but I didn't need to trust him. I opened one jug and trusted my own eyes and nose, then handed over the money.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Hmm... What protection would a wooden box provide? If a spark gets in there it'll just be a wooden grenade :laughing:
    You don't understand the point of the wooden container at all or how powder burns. The former provides insulation from heat and a sacrificial burn surface during a fire in a structure. The container is about buying time for a response since wood burns in layers. Lastly, powder does not detonate (I.e. explode) like a grenade, it deflagrates and how exactly does a spark get into that closed container? Magic?

Ignorantly making fun of something designed to save lives and property makes you look, well, ignorant.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    You don't understand the point of the wooden container at all or how powder burns. The former provides insulation from heat and a sacrificial burn surface during a fire in a structure. The container is about buying time for a response since wood burns in layers. Lastly, powder does not detonate (I.e. explode) like a grenade, it deflagrates and how exactly does a spark get into that closed container? Magic?

Ignorantly making fun of something designed to save lives and property makes you look, well, ignorant.

And responding with a post like this makes you look like an ass.

Simply answering the question would have sufficed.

picker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2014
    TX Hill Country
    well good thing I don't keep powder/primers in my residence unless the boss lady makes me sleep in the barn, then I guess the primer police could git after me......Damn I dislike these damn blanket laws.And honestly the people that make em.
    Best/joe

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    I know a guy who has been using some 30-year-old black powder. He hasn't noticed any difference.

mrappe

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    I have had powder that was 18 years old that worked just fine. Best to keep it out of heat and moisture.

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    If its over 6 months old, send it to me and I'll dispose of it properly for you!

I shot some goex fffg that belonged to my grandpa this weekend. He died in '95. I remember seeing the powder sitting under his carport when I was a kid. I'm pretty sure it had been there for 15-20 years at that point so just to guess, I'd say it is 40-50 years old. He bought it for the pistol I'm using back in the early 70's. Its been stored out of the weather in its metal container under a carport (no climate control). The powder horn has been in the attic and is no where near air tight. Both the powder in the horn and the powder in the can shoot perfectly fine.

Top Bottom