• ...and so much more!
  • TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    does powder last? Assume a HVAC controlled home and stored in a proper container how long will it last? Is there a legal limit to the amount of powder you can have?
    Gun Zone Deals

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Powder will last a long time in the proper conditions. I am not sure how many years, but it is a lot.

I have no idea how much powder you can have.

I thought I read that you can only have 10k primers though.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I've got some red dot in a square metal can that's still good. I'd say it's 30 years old.

(Dated from receipts that came with the setup)

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013

you must have been told that by the clerk at the same academy I shop at.:roflfunny:

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I bought some SR 4756 that was sold by a lady after her husband died. It was in the metal cans. He had it in a spare room closet in a milk crate. The price tag left on it was from a department store here that went out of business in the mid 1980s. No telling how long he bought it before they closed.
    It has all loaded and shot perfectly. So there is at least 30 year old powder that is fine.

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    does powder last? Assume a HVAC controlled home and stored in a proper container how long will it last? Is there a legal limit to the amount of powder you can have?

whelp, I shot some Chinese 762x39 ammo with '67 date stamps on it back in the late 90's, so there's an easy 30 years in less than ideal conditions. It sort of gave me the creeps seeing that ammo in little paper wrappings tied with string. Ammo probably destined for the NVA to be used against our GI's.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Powder will last a long time in the proper conditions. I am not sure how many years, but it is a lot.

I guess I should have extended my questions to ask about that as well. How much powder is a Texas taxpayer allowed to have at his property? Primers? Bullets? I'll bet it changes from rural to city but I have no idea since I am just starting to look at reloading.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I guess I should have extended my questions to ask about that as well. How much powder is a Texas taxpayer allowed to have at his property? Primers? Bullets? I'll bet it changes from rural to city but I have no idea since I am just starting to look at reloading.

I've never been aware of or even heard of of an "allowed" amount a citizen may have in his or her possession. I would like to know what state might have such a ridiculous law. :green:

Last edited:

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    What SAAMI and the NFPA say.

http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/publications/download/SAAMI_ITEM_201-Primers.pdf

What Alliant says. I'm not sure if this is a Federal Reg or where they even got it. Probably from the National Fire Protection Association.

10-3.7 Smokeless propellants intended for personal use in quantities not exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg) may be stored in original containers in residences. Quantities exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg), but not exceeding 50 lb (22.7 kg), may be stored in residences if kept in a wooden box or cabinet having walls or at least 1-inc. (25.4-mm) nominal thickness.

Here is the entire article from Alliant

Alliant Powder - Storage & Handling

Last edited:

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    It depends on the jurisdiction you are in and the fire code they may have adopted. For instance, in the ESD I live in they adopted the NFPA from 2007, which was 10k primers and 50 lbs in a residence IIRC. The newer editions of the code upped the primers to 100k.

The important thing is that whole Texas may not have any laws or have adopted a uniform code, your jurisdiction may have.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    You can still buy ammo that is left over from the Korean War - over 60 years old. Newer powders have even better stabilizers than older powders. As long as it's closed up and stored under reasonable conditions, it will last a very long time.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Eff the regs? The NFPA is a great guideline in general for storage of powder and primers. Is follow it even if it wasn't part of my obligation as a law abiding citizen of my area.

I've got two little boys in my house and a powder safe that reduces the risk of me losing them in an accidental fire. That's smart to me...

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Eff the regs? The NFPA is a great guideline in general for storage of powder and primers. Is follow it even if it wasn't part of my obligation as a law abiding citizen of my area.

I've got two little boys in my house and a powder safe that reduces the risk of me losing them in an accidental fire. That's smart to me...

I'm talking about when the feds tell us what we can and can't do more and more! If they want to make recommendations, that's well and good. I don't depend on the government to to tell me how to raise my family and take care of them. I trust the government less than a hole full of rattlesnakes on a hot day! :green:

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    I'd say a minimum of 50 yrs. or more. What do you think will happen to it after a certain period of time? It's not going to turn to dust or slime, etc. (stored properly). I've got some .22 ammo that I shot in the mid fifties and again last summer (stored in the magazine in a drawer).

(my guess would be 454,272 hrs., minimum, stored properly :green:)

Last edited:

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Charlie, you do realize that the NFPA is NOT written by the federal government, right? Sorry of like the NEC, another useless trespass I guess. Damn those standards

Top Bottom