If Open Carry ever comes to Texas, I hope everyone has.........

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

jocat54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Lindale, Texas
    calling you bored is a personal attack?

sheesh - thicker skin - please get some

anybody know who this normal looking man is?

ted-bundys-dna-.jpg

anybody?

No idea, but he looks like one of the guys on American Pickers

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    did you read that decision yet? do you understand its purpose now?

let me know if you dont and i'll tell you another cool story

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    There's no way he can accurately answer the question - because there's no way to say for sure. On a situation like that, unless you're there, it's really almost impossible to "call the shot" - there's way too many nuances involved, many of which aren't going to be covered in a law or book. THAT is the reality of "law enforcement" - and those that wanna read the books and be experts usually fail. The law is a guideline, if you will.....but it's NOT always definitive.
    Of course we weren't there. But based on the info we have, we can form opinions about what should and shouldn't have happened. Hypotheticals are useful learning tools, and I value Texan2's analysis even if it is of a hypothetical.

Also, when OC becomes legal here, we must be prepared.

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    WTF does that have to do with anything? Are you trying to say the Police should be able to detain anyone for any reason? It's OK as long as there is no frisk, because then it isn't really a stop right?

nothing gets by you

there was discussion as to what a "normal man" looks like.....Ted Bundy was quite "normal looking" ......and the rest of the story as we know is history

you read words that dont exist...nowhere did i say anything about being able to detain anybody for any reason

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Of course we weren't there. But based on the info we have, we can form opinions about what should and shouldn't have happened. Hypotheticals are useful learning tools, and I value Texan2's analysis even if it is of a hypothetical.

Also, when OC becomes legal here, we must be prepared.
    I can appreciate that people want to hold the police accountable and that is the way it should be.
    Its fine to watch and to discuss, but what drives me nuts is when people decide things like...."the officers are crooked" just because they asked for ID, even though we werent there and dont know the totality of the circumstance. When you talk about bizarre behavior....I see 2 kids that dont look old enough to have those pistols, standing in a crowd of people and when the police ask them for ID, they start rambling "Is this illegal? have I broke a law? is this illegal?

To me THAT is strange behavior.

I merely wish that they could channel that energy into something constructive.

I suppose we are a bit spoiled in Texas as the police here are a bit more use to seeing guns everywhere and the mere mention or sight of a gun doesnt send most of them into a frenzy.

Most of you would not want someone with a gun to get in your face without provocation and start firing questions at you, with the intention of trying to get you to make even the most minute of mistakes. I know that there are places that have abused gun owners and that cops do stupid things as well.

I just feel that if gun owners worked WITH police (and many do), they would get much further than working to trip them up and boast how they caught a mistake on film.

Were they within their rights to carry? I suppose. Were the cops wrong to stop and ID them? Who knows, but when you start off adversarial the way they did, I wont to give you the benefit of the doubt.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    When Texan2 referred to a "normal" man, it could also be summed up as "reasonably prudent person." Behave that a person may take part in given the general situation or environment. A guy standing in a trenchcoat in San Antonio could be a multitude of things. In my experience and the area I live in and folks I've contacted, yeah, that guy in the trenchcoat may just be Joe blow who feels like wearing a jacket. But, when everyone walking around him is dressed in shorts and t shirts, something will raise my awareness. Now standing outside a daycare with two long guns in my in front of a daycare, in my experience, education, and training will definitely cause a concern. Those in the San Antonio area have heard of the wolfpack kids. Some brush them off as nobody. I've worked sidejobs where I've been surrounded by these guys. Some are posers, some have wanted to be the one to be remembered. Two have killed themselves and others have made threats to schools.

Also, being that I'm in a smaller jurisdiction with a more intimate/closer relationship with our citizens, I can honestly say that we respond to every call received by our dispatchers. We don't prescreen or take reports by phone. Yeah, even barking dogs, lol....

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    As CM stated, once you are outside of huge cities, most departments will respond to EVERY call that comes in. I think most would agree that you dont want an officer deciding whether or not your call is important enough to show up at. That can go nowhere but south.

espy59lc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    San Antonio
    Well, by "us" I mean the ones who don't go out of our way to instigate these encounters and are old enough to shave. Why is it that every one of these kinds of vids feature guys who either look like smart aleck teens or won't try to look decent. (These kids look decent but still, they look like they're in high school.) Won't shave, wears their hat backwards, won't get a decent haircut (and comb it). It's no wonder these guys have encounters. They ask for it. At least wait to open carry after you have to shave at least every other day and your voice isn't breaking. LOL

I'd like to find one of these vids that feature an adult. I've searched and watched many. Haven't found one yet.

Honestly? I don't shave (beard), I don't comb my hair (which is quite funny). I wear a hat backwards sometimes. I wear Oakleys, cargo shorts, and t-shirts. That means I'm asking for it? Never had a problem with the law other than speeding ticket. Never even smoked weed.

Just because I'm not some clone with tucked in polo with khaki pants, boat shoes and a lame comb over doesn't make me a bad person. And I'm 23.

I'm sorry but that comment just rubbed me the wrong way.

Any who, I have read on other forums that its actually pretty smart to carry a recorder for these encounters, to protect yourself incase you end up not meeting up with a level headed officer and get a hot head who doesn't know the law and wants to arrest you.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Any who, I have read on other forums that its actually pretty smart to carry a recorder for these encounters, to protect yourself incase you end up not meeting up with a level headed officer and get a hot head who doesn't know the law and wants to arrest you.

There is a difference between carrying a recorder to protect yourself and taking one and going out looking for a confrontation.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    at the same time it's also embarassing to think I would have to carry a camera to "protect" myself. I've never used one before and have been just fine. Some folks just watch too much NYPD Blue and the like, lol.

espy59lc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    San Antonio
    There is a difference between carrying a recorder to protect yourself and taking one and going out looking for a confrontation.

I totally agree. The ppl out their with videos just to start shit are annoying. But the voice recorder makes more since when it might come time for a court matter and my word vs. the Officer's word.

Not saying all Officers lie to protect their ass when in the wrong, but there are some bad apples and you never know which one you're gonna get. Again, I'm not Cop Bashing, I actually went to school for CJ and went thru a police academy thru school, so I side with Officers 99.9999999% of the time.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I know I am hijacking this thread but...
    our officers will soon be wearing wearable cameras to protect themselves form the flood of bogus complaints that police departments deal with. In my capacity our in car video exonerates the officer over 95% of the time.
    Roughly 9 out of 10 times when someone comes to file a complaint, the mere mention that the video will get reviewed puts the brakes on the complaint. A large number of complainers ask, "there is a video?" and when told there is...just say they dont want to get anyone in trouble and to just forget it.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    That is excellent news; as someone on the other side of the fence I've been wanting that for a long time. Hopefully they'll make them unable to be turned off by the officer and hold on to the recordings for quite a while before deletion. This would be great for everyone involved!

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    You'd be surprised how many departments have these. As for not turning off cameras, that's excessive. At the same time. You don't need to record an officer the complete shift. Our cameras have made a difference too. I like the system, really helps my court cases.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom