• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • If open carry was legal, how often would you do so?

• Always (80-100% of the time I carried)

Votes: 14 18.2%
    • Sometimes (30-80% of the time I carried)

Votes: 21 27.3%
    • Rarely (1-30% of the time I carried)

• Never (0%)

• Total voters
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    I believe this simple poll reflects an opinion which substantiates why OC will fail in Texas, at least at this point in time. 57% rare and never = (lack of enthusiasm) failure on the political stage.

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    I believe this simple poll reflects an opinion which substantiates why OC will fail in Texas, at least at this point in time. 57% rare and never = (lack of enthusiasm) failure on the political stage.

I think it reflects that 70% said yes they would. Always, sometimes and rarely doesn't matter. The point is that at some time they are going to want to do it and it won't be available to them if it doesn't pass. Sometime, I'll be out in the boonies fishing or hunting or even just taking a walk and would like to carry openly. It's my right even if it isn't legal, yet.

APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    I think it reflects that 70% said yes they would. Always, sometimes and rarely doesn't matter. The point is that at some time they are going to want to do it and it won't be available to them if it doesn't pass. Sometime, I'll be out in the boonies fishing or hunting or even just taking a walk and would like to carry openly. It's my right even if it isn't legal, yet.

I believe my point was to "enthusiasm" (rare and never). Therefore, lack thereof equates to lack of political pressure = failure to pass.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    It's a yes or no question.

I don't agree, the poll results show that even if it was legal, over half would only OC rarely if at all. That is an indication that it is not a big issue for many gun owners.

You are insinuating that if a person wants to OC even once they have to support the law, which is ridiculous.

You may think it is strictly black or white, but that truth lies in the poll in the other thread on the subject of OC, which showed that two-thirds of people on here think that an OC bill would not pass!

So if the gun community is not strongly united behind it, it stands even less of a chance of happening.

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    Both rarely and always are yes's. So it's a yes or no question. From a certain point of view. ;)

And if it passes, you can do it as rarely as you want.

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    I don't agree, the poll results show that even if it was legal, over half would only OC rarely if at all. That is an indication that it is not a big issue for many gun owners.
    Not really. I would only rarely open carry but for those rare times, I would like it to be legal.

You are insinuating that if a person wants to OC even once they have to support the law, which is ridiculous.

Not ridiculous when that one time he wants to do it it's illegal. If he wants to do it even one time or a hundred times, it will have to be just as legal.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I understand, but I do believe that most people--while supportive of an OC law--are not of the opinion that it is a pressing issue. Many feel that there are more immediate concerns that need to be addressed first, such as eliminating some of the places where concealed carry is automatically prohibited.

So while you may think that someone who says they will only openly carry on rare occasions is still automatically a supporter of such a law; I tend to disagree.

And even if they are, they may not be committed to seeing it realized. Support is a tenuous thing, it's nice to have; but honestly without a real commitment by these folks behind it, it's just not worth all that much...

Take myself for example, I do support an OC law but think I would rarely ever do so. Still, it'd be nice to be able to. However, do I feel strongly enough about it to write to my representatives in Austin, or pay to join an organization that has made this its top priority? No.

I did answer "Rarely" in my own poll, as I can see times where it would be convenient to be allowed to OC; but I can live with the ability to conceal carry during those times.

So while I support an OC law in Texas, I can't say I am really that committed to seeing it happen.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    It's a good thing that the folks that fought for CHL didn't feel the same way....every time we stand for our rights, another will see what we do, and consider doing the same. Sooner or later, another joins the lone person standing, then another....

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I voted "Rarely" because it's simply not practical for me most of the time, but I'm still extremely supportive of the legislation (i.e. enthusiastic). It should be my choice.

Tactics-Laws-Opinions <> Rights

Silverhair

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Ferris, TX
    Once every two weeks I have to go to an ATM at night. I don't like it. I use the walk-up ATM because I have far superior visibility and can see someone approaching if it happens. I would like to have the pistol obviously visible for those few minutes so that a potential mugger knows that it would be really dangerous to try to mug me and would leave me alone. Instead I try to use the ATM one-handed with the other in my pocket on the S&W642.

The rest of the time I would opt to carry concealed.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Once every two weeks I have to go to an ATM at night. I don't like it. I use the walk-up ATM because I have far superior visibility and can see someone approaching if it happens. I would like to have the pistol obviously visible for those few minutes so that a potential mugger knows that it would be really dangerous to try to mug me and would leave me alone..

Or instead of mugging you they decide to approach and just shoot you in the face.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Most muggers won't notice. They focus on the face - it's a sort of tunnel vision. They're simply too intent on YOU to see what you might have on you 90% of the time.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Good reason why more people should open carry. If a public place has 100 people and only 25 were open carrying then I really dont think the dumbest of criminals would consider robbing anyone. I dont carry a gun anyhow. I prefer busting heads.

Busting Heads? That's worse than bringing a knife to a gun fight!

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Good reason why more people should open carry. If a public place has 100 people and only 25 were open carrying then I really dont think the dumbest of criminals would consider robbing anyone.
    There is just no evidence of that. AND he was talking about being ALONE at an ATM at night. Criminals generally don't mug folks where there are 100 people around ANYWAY. Good Grief.

I dont carry a gun anyhow. I prefer busting heads.

tugger.jpg

Cliffh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    North Texas
    And carrying concealed would help him how? Seems to me that the potential mugger is actually more likely to approach if one is carrying concealed. He can't see the firearm until after things have gone a bit too far. There are anecdotal stories of crimes being averted because of open carry.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom