• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • If open carry was legal, how often would you do so?

• Always (80-100% of the time I carried)

Votes: 14 18.2%
    • Sometimes (30-80% of the time I carried)

Votes: 21 27.3%
    • Rarely (1-30% of the time I carried)

• Never (0%)

• Total voters
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    No, and the only change we have had was because of a lady named Suzanna Hupp.
    Without her, we would not even have the CHL!
    The most offensive statement I have read on this website is the recent statements that open carry will not be possible without another event such as Luby's! How is that regulating the wearing of arms with a view to prevent crime?
    You have twisted what I want to allow yourself to be offended. Dude, come on.

I wrote that such an event would guarantee open carry. Unfortunately, I don't think the legislature will see a need for OC without such an event.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Indeed...if a bad guy wants a gun and you have one showing he knows where to get one. that goes for cops and civilians.

That or if you get into a physical altercation ... you now have to fight the guy off and keep that gun tied down. You can be assured that most people will fight to get to that gun. Some dude taking a swing at you isn't grounds for deadly force in a vast majority of cases. With concealment you remove the temptation.

It's a viable possibility, but I don't think it's something that should prohibit us from exercising what I feel it our right. Just the same as I don't think cops should be disarmed on the premise that they might be shot with them or disarmed.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I think I get what you are saying

Yeah, me too; I was a bit confused at first at your point but now I get it.

And I agree, it's sad that it took the Ludy's massacre to get a CHL program in Texas. Just think of how differently that event could have turned out if there were legally-armed civilians who could have at least tried to intervene. I have great respect for Suzanna Hupp for not only what she endured, but what she went through to ensure people wouldn't be victims to such a situation again.

But the sad truth is that it most likely would take such a catastrophic event and someone like Hupp to get OC passed in this state, and even under such circumstances I don't think it would guarantee a bill passing. Honestly, if you think about it, the same arguments for concealed carry based on the Killleen incident apply to justifying open carry. Had George Jo Hennard saw several armed patrons instead of knowing there was little chance they would be armed, he may have not gone through with his plan or at least not had been able to kill or injure over half of the customers in the restaurant!

OC needs a well-known and influential spokesman that can persuade the lawmakers in Austin to move forward with such a proposal. At this time I don't see who that could or would be...

Cheers! M2

APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    OK, this thread is not to debate the issues surrounding OC; that's being done ad nauseum in the other thread. I just wanted to see when, if ever, folks on here would open carry if a law were passed in Texas allowing it.

Please feel free to further explain your vote, such as why you would OC during specific situations, if you feel it adds to do discussion.

Again, this is just to get an idea of the percentage of folks who would open carry if legal, and how often they would; as well as the percentage that wouldn't even if allowed.

Cheers! M2

Isn't the poll doing just that - answering the question who would OC? It is simply unrealistic and naive to believe dialogue would not occur in regard to this topic.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I've heard of cops being stripped of their firearms, and in alot of instances, killed with them.

Apples and oranges. The cops are typically stripped of their firearms during a physical altercation where they're trying to arrest someone. It's exceedingly rare for someone to even attempt to just tackle a cop out of the blue and take his gun away.

I'm not exactly going to go trying to wrestle people to the ground to try and put handcuffs on them. If it's not something I can walk or run away from, I'm going to be shooting.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    Yeah, me too; I was a bit confused at first at your point but now I get it.

And I agree, it's sad that it took the Ludy's massacre to get a CHL program in Texas. Just think of how differently that event could have turned out if there were legally-armed civilians who could have at least tried to intervene. I have great respect for Suzanna Hupp for not only what she endured, but what she went through to ensure people wouldn't be victims to such a situation again.

But the sad truth is that it most likely would take such a catastrophic event and someone like Hupp to get OC passed in this state, and even under such circumstances I don't think it would guarantee a bill passing. Honestly, if you think about it, the same arguments for concealed carry based on the Killleen incident apply to justifying open carry. Had George Jo Hennard saw several armed patrons instead of knowing there was little chance they would be armed, he may have not gone through with his plan or at least not had been able to kill or injure over half of the customers in the restaurant!

OC needs a well-known and influential spokesman that can persuade the lawmakers in Austin to move forward with such a proposal. At this time I don't see who that could or would be...

Cheers! M2
    Im glad you understand the idea behind " with a view to prevent crime"..
    As far a spokesman goes, I call that person Constituents. Every vote casted to elect a Representative who is suppose to represent the people who put them in office.
    This method is most effective.
    For example Arizona. I have spoke with the AzCDL guy's very often. When they first got started Legislature pretty much ignored them. After the first session Az. legislature soon learned what the term " Organization of Constituents" ment. They started Voting Representatives out of office and elected people who will listen to the people.
    I truly feel that Texas has already started this process. Some of the people who got voted out Nov. 2 shows this to be true.
    We are all spokesmen and women... and of course there's skeeter!

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    You have twisted what I want to allow yourself to be offended. Dude, come on.

I wrote that such an event would guarantee open carry. Unfortunately, I don't think the legislature will see a need for OC without such an event.

Its not you that offened me, it the reminder of what I already know. I already know all about what you said.
    Dude

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Actually, over there is support, but many fear a backlash of signs against ALL carry. Open Carry dot Org also made lots of impressions over there the last time they were "in town", to the point that folks automatically think anyone speaking for OC is part of 'em.

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    I'm registered on lots of gun-related sights - it doesn't mean I'm not allowed to have my own opinions that don't necessarily line up with anyone else's. :)

I think worrying about the signs is kinda pointless. Figure there's maybe 50 or so folks raisin' a stick about it, out of almost half a million CC'ers. and it kinda puts the whole thing into a new perspective. My thought is we should get our rights back (and I mean *constitutional carry*, not simply OC), and THEN we remedy the small sh*t, like signage.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Hell, I cant tell who supports what. I see all kind of arguing all over the place.
    Whats to argue about a right? Good lord! What gets me is how people act about the subject in Texas. People seem to give me the impression that they think Texans cant be trusted with a gun!
    The question I have is why cant Texans be trusted with the same rights they can have just by simply "visiting" another state?
    Answer that one !

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Hell, I cant tell who supports what. I see all kind of arguing all over the place.
    Whats to argue about a right? Good lord! What gets me is how people act about the subject in Texas. People seem to give me the impression that they think Texans cant be trusted with a gun!
    The question I have is why cant Texans be trusted with the same rights they can have just by simply "visiting" another state?
    Answer that one !
    I thought this thread was merely a question about how often you would opt to OC?
    In all of these threads I have yet to see anyone arguing that it shouldn't be legal. That is the one thing that everyone seems to agree on... I dont see what all of the active pro-OC folks are up in arms about.
    Poll shows that just under 60% of those who carry would OC ever or very often. Looks pretty straight forward.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom