• ...and so much more!
  • easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    So the narrative was crafted by a group of guys stirring a caldron, some of whom were directly or indirectly responsible, science and the truth be damned to cover their own asses. And anyone who was actually interested in following the science and finding the truth was shown the door and called consipiracy theorists or worse. And of course the media gave the perpetrators nothing but cover. Pretty much what I suspected even back in early 2020, but without a doubt now.

And it's absolutely correct, with the exception of a (shrinking) group of sheep who will believe anything and everything told to them by the establishment, whether politicians or bureaucrats, there is no longer confidence in the scientific community. Look no further than Fauci declaring himself as science and any opposition was ludicrous. He and others need to be prosecuted. Otherwise, the damage is irreversible.
    Yeah, who would have thought a virus that originated in Wuhan, China would come from the Wuhan Virology Lab? Remember when they were trying to paint Trump as racist for pointing that out?
    Target Sports

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    He and others need to be prosecuted. Otherwise, the damage is irreversible.

Doctors have endorsed cigarette brands. The federal government told us to get most of our calories from sugar in various forms. We were assured it would just be "for two weeks to flatten the curve."

Humans don't change. We get hornswoggled, figure it out too late, and vow to do better next time.

I don't think the loss of confidence in science is irreversible. It's just going to take a long while to correct.

I predict that in 50 or 60 years, Americans will look back on Covid the way we look at the food pyramid today. We'll realize that money and politics brought us a version of "settled science" that was wrong and made us sicker and prematurely killed plenty of us. We won't throw away the scientific method or denounce all scientists or doctors but we'll vow to be more careful, more skeptical.

And then the next big con will come along and most of us will fall for it all over again.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    “IDTT the loss of confidence in science is irreversible”

What we should have no confidence is “science” with political aims. That is NOT “real science” !

Not that “Science” can’t make a wrong conclusion.

But politicians & bureaucrats can force one !

Our problem is not real Science, but politicians !

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Doctors have endorsed cigarette brands. The federal government told us to get most of our calories from sugar in various forms. We were assured it would just be "for two weeks to flatten the curve."

Humans don't change. We get hornswoggled, figure it out too late, and vow to do better next time.

I don't think the loss of confidence in science is irreversible. It's just going to take a long while to correct.

I predict that in 50 or 60 years, Americans will look back on Covid the way we look at the food pyramid today. We'll realize that money and politics brought us a version of "settled science" that was wrong and made us sicker and prematurely killed plenty of us. We won't throw away the scientific method or denounce all scientists or doctors but we'll vow to be more careful, more skeptical.

And then the next big con will come along and most of us will fall for it all over again.
    1679072051080.png

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx

I'm pretty sure I won't be around to contradict your prediction, but then again, in that time period they may have perfected thought crime to where the only science remaining is what the ministry of science allows.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine

<>

Ben,

If seeking the greatest “Doctors Error” fiasco of modern History, just consider the “peptic acid theory of gastrointestinal ulcer disease’.

For over a century, we read, were taught, believed, and taught others that excess gastric acid production” caused duodenal ‘’ulcer disease”.

Books were written, medications developed, surgical procedures invented, ‘antiacids” were commonplace, etc.

Then, some 25 years back, a young Physician @ Baylor Med in TMC had an idea: “What if I cultured my specimens for bacteria?”

Guess WHAT ? Helicobacter pylori was id’d and we learned that the entire 100+ years, we had missed a simple & easily treated infection !

So, yes, Doctors make mistakes, sometimes giant ones.

leVieux

WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas

Good point, but I think this is far different because the parties spouting were the same ones that were practicing and/or funding the gain-of-function research that ended up in this disaster. I'm old, but not old enough to remember any doctor ever endorsing smoking. I'm sure it happened, but perhaps at the time, they believed it since there wasn't enough research or history to know otherwise. In this case, they ALL knew exactly what happened when it happened and crafted a narrative immediately with the assistance of the media and certain hand-picked politicos and delivered it to the world as undisputed fact when they knew the opposite was true to cover their own liability. I do, however, remember the food pyramids from the '70s, which was perhaps wrong looking back, but hardly malicious. This was absolutely malicious and 100% on purpose. I'll never trust them again, although what trust I had beforehand was minimal.

And don't even get me started on the continued defense of the CCP by politicians, medical "professionals," and some in the media when we know that they knew exactly what they had and what had transpired, had locked their own country down, yet sent tens or perhaps hundreds of thousands of people out of country on flights around the world, including here.

And also not forgetting the whole "take this jab or else" stance before effectiveness was even known by the chosen mouthpieces. Another total lie. We all remember predictions of death for those who abstained at worst, and loss of any freedom of movement at best. Those of us who held out thought for ourselves and were ridiculed and targeted because of it and threatened with loss of our very freedoms. And ultimately not that long afterward, have been proven exactly right.

Last edited:

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Good point, but I think this is far different because the parties spouting were the same ones that were practicing and/or funding the gain-of-function research that ended up in this disaster. I'm old, but not old enough to remember any doctor ever endorsing smoking. I'm sure it happened, but perhaps at the time, they believed it since there wasn't enough research or history to know otherwise. In this case, they ALL knew exactly what happened when it happened and crafted a narrative immediately with the assistance of the media and certain hand-picked politicos and delivered it to the world as undisputed fact when they knew the opposite was true to cover their own liability. I do, however, remember the food pyramids from the '70s, which was perhaps wrong looking back, but hardly malicious. This was absolutely malicious and 100% on purpose. I'll never trust them again, although what trust I had beforehand was minimal.

And don't even get me started on the continued defense of the CCP by politicians, medical "professionals," and some in the media when we know that they knew exactly what they had and what had transpired, had locked their own country down, yet sent tens or perhaps hundreds of thousands of people out of country on flights around the world, including here.

And also not forgetting the whole "take this jab or else" stance before effectiveness was even known by the chosen mouthpieces. Another total lie. We all remember predictions of death for those who abstained at worst, and loss of any freedom of movement at best. Those of us who held out thought for ourselves and were ridiculed and targeted because of it and threatened with loss of our very freedoms. And ultimately not that long afterward, have been proven exactly right.
    1679108095266.png

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Just about everyone smoked back in the 50's, 60's. Even Beaver Cleavers family had ashtrays, though Ward and June didn't smoke.
    You don't have to go back that far. In Japan, until 1985 the government had a full monopoly on cigarettes and the profits derived from them. The government still owns a bunch of their tobacco industry. When they had a monopoly, they told their citizens that cigarettes were good for you. Today, the Japanese government has a real split personality about smoking. Officially, they discourage it. In practice, laws are lax and the government is still happy to profit from continuing to own a huge fraction of the industry.

When you mix scientists, doctors, politicians, big business, and money all in the same pot, the result seems to consistently be nothing but poison.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Top Bottom