• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45er

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2021
    New Ulm, Texas
    While I'm keeping my permit current for many of the reasons you stated above, I still think the entire permit scheme is itself an infringement on our enumerated right to keep and bear arms.

The very idea of asking permission to exercise a right is at odds with the concept of it being a right at all, instead of a "privilege" to be doled out by a clerk after you pay your money, sit through the useless classes and hit the paper for your "qualification."

I would like to see the day when we scrap the entire thing and stop asking permission to do things that we were endowed by our creator with the natural right to do in the first place.

Why should the law-abiding bear the burden and expense of "proving ourselves worthy" to clerks or politicians in order to exercise the same rights every criminal gets for free?

While I understand an argument can be made that the "right to carry" is a directive straight from the Bill of Rights as opposed to a license to drive an automobile being a "privilege" that can be granted by an authority. However, I still believe that the CCL process creates a much safer environment if people who decide to carry a firearm in public have been vetted to some degree for their mental and criminal status and have been trained on the laws and at least rudimentary instructions on how to use their gun. My CCL class was anything but a useless exercise. I had been shooting all my life so the "how to aspect" wasn't needed, but I walked away knowing much more about the laws and knowing that if I ever, God forbid, had to shoot someone to protect life or wellbeing, my life would change forever. I've also seen enough insanely stupid acts by uneducated, inexperienced gun owners to know that these people walking around with a gun in public are almost as dangerous as a criminal in the act of using a firearm!

We'll see how it all pans out, but this new rule in Texas is certainly a huge risk and we better realize that it is entirely possible that it could backfire and set gun rights back 25 years!
    ARJ Defense ad

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    While I understand an argument can be made that the "right to carry" is a directive straight from the Bill of Rights as opposed to a license to drive an automobile being a "privilege" that can be granted by an authority. However, I still believe that the CCL process creates a much safer environment if people who decide to carry a firearm in public have been vetted to some degree for their mental and criminal status and have been trained on the laws and at least rudimentary instructions on how to use their gun. My CCL class was anything but a useless exercise. I had been shooting all my life so the "how to aspect" wasn't needed, but I walked away knowing much more about the laws and knowing that if I ever, God forbid, had to shoot someone to protect life or wellbeing, my life would change forever. I've also seen enough insanely stupid acts by uneducated, inexperienced gun owners to know that these people walking around with a gun in public are almost as dangerous as a criminal in the act of using a firearm!

We'll see how it all pans out, but this new rule in Texas is certainly a huge risk and we better realize that it is entirely possible that it could backfire and set gun rights back 25 years!
    Fear is not a virtue.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    I really doubt this law will change much even though I wish it would and more people would carry. Fact is after a little while I bet you will see almost no difference. Those that want to carry are already doing so either with or without a license.

Last edited:

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI

Please explain why you feel Texans are so inept.

This is not an experiment. This is already the law in 20 other states, and it has always been the law in Vermont.

Do you have information as to how your perceived issues have been a problem in any of those other states? If so, please share it!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I'm just here for the popcorn and free beer.

popcorn.jpeg

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Once permitless carry becomes law, it will set gun rights back 150 years...

Seeing as how the carry law requires hands off gun except in extremis, most misuse will result from poor retention, same as now.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012

I mean, I tend to respect other people's opinions, but none of this is opinionated. It's just incorrect. Why? Because most of what you've typed has been factually debunked and everything else is hypothetical nonsense.

Don't ever go to Walmart after 1 AM because a cereal killer might be there, killing cereal, and interrupting him may turn him into a serial killer.

See how ridiculous hypotheticals are?

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I didn't realize that was in a statute, etc. Does that mean one cannot touch their gun except "in extremis"?
    'Extremis' was my choice of words. You can't brandish, and in some circumstances, I think that could mean even touching your gun. But, there are more knowledgeable persons on here than me, and I'm sure they will comment...

Top Bottom