• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    We figured the only way to really make the platform work properly was a rimless metallic cartridge system. That also makes belt fed pretty easy ;)

The problem is, as mentioned, is that in the Grand View, 3-Gun isn't even a rounding error (in the number of shooters per sport nationwide). Making the setup costs work out as even a break-even project are not particularly viable. Without the ammo companies on board, an entirely new line is just not cost effective.

Alex

Rimless metallic would be awesome for detachable magazines, too. Rimmed cartridges and box magazines aren't the best combination...

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The ONLY thing holding 3 gun back is the lack of local matches, probably due to the space required.

Talk to anyone who enjoys shooting and almost all would love to try shooting 3 gun. Even if I had to go out with my bone stock Mossberg pump, M&P 15, and whichever handgun I could scavenge up enough mags for I would have a blast losing.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The ONLY thing holding 3 gun back is the lack of local matches, probably due to the space required.

Talk to anyone who enjoys shooting and almost all would love to try shooting 3 gun. Even if I had to go out with my bone stock Mossberg pump, M&P 15, and whichever handgun I could scavenge up enough mags for I would have a blast losing.

I rarely need to reload, and can't think of a time I've come all that close to shooting through two full mags.

20 round mags, of course, but...

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Then I'm "good enough" to go, just need a competition that's not too far away.

Don't want to get hook on something that will cost me over $100 in fuel every time I go.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Copperas Cove and Liberty hill are both almost 2 hours from you...

What kind of mileage does your car get? :p

Not much. 94 Chevy 4X4 with heavy duty manual transmission. 5th gear isn't much of an OD, maybe none at all.

Think I'm around 14 mpg highway.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Do they have a match on the 24th?

Says the next scheduled match is sept 7th on their yahoo page. Looks like my weekends will switch after this month so next month I would definitely be a no-go.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Do they have a match on the 24th?

Says the next scheduled match is sept 7th on their yahoo page. Looks like my weekends will switch after this month so next month I would definitely be a no-go.

Who is "they"? The group at Liberty Hill shoots third Saturday of every month. 17th this month.

I have no idea what the Copperas Cove schedule is like. Haven't shot there.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Who is "they"? The group at Liberty Hill shoots third Saturday of every month. 17th this month.

I have no idea what the Copperas Cove schedule is like. Haven't shot there.

Yeah, I was looking at Copperas Cove. Liberty Hill is about 2 and a half hrs away.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    So by this I have no excuse to not shoot 3 gun being as Best of the West is just outside of town.

Oh wait. No shotgun. Which one should I get again?

No excuses!

SX2/FN SLP (same shotgun, different names). The SLP MkI is pretty much turn-key, you can show up and run it the way the factory made it. There are some worthy modifications to be done, though... ;)

You'll want a way to reload it, too. I'm happy with the CCW speed strippers, but there are nicer (more expensive) ones on the market. Added bonus: if you pull the shell spacer out of the CCW stripper, it holds an AR magazine!

subseashooter

Use Your Imagination.....
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    No excuses!

SX2/FN SLP (same shotgun, different names). The SLP MkI is pretty much turn-key, you can show up and run it the way the factory made it. There are some worthy modifications to be done, though... ;)

You'll want a way to reload it, too. I'm happy with the CCW speed strippers, but there are nicer (more expensive) ones on the market. Added bonus: if you pull the shell spacer out of the CCW stripper, it holds an AR magazine!

I've been following the thread since I have the same issue of choosing a shotgun for 3-gun....what are these speed strippers that you are referring to?

cajunautoxer

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    Houston
    Seriously look at the 1301. $1200 and it already has a wide loading port so no mods need to be done and all you need is a tube extension. They guys over seas say they are impressed with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    Been going through this thread and look at it this way. How much are you planning on shooting? I shot an FN SLP for a couple of years, but had to replace a couple springs after about 3k rounds. I still have that shotgun and it runs great after replacing those springs (about 1k rounds ago). I have been shooting the Benelli M2 with the integrated Xrail this year. I have a 930 Blackwater edition that was pretty much built out to the exact specs of the JM Pro before the JM Pro was available. It will be for sale here soon.

I have decided that I am going to break down and switch to an M2 for all 3 gun. There seems to be a reason that 90% of the guys in the Pro Series shoot M2's and not just because they are sponsored by Benelli.

The 930's are nice, but as Alex said, the only one that I have ever seen really hold up to serious abuse is Lena's. At Superstition Mountain we had 3 people in our squad shooting Lena's gun because their JM's went tango uniform on them. However, if you plan to only shoot a club match every month or so then you probably won't ever shoot enough shotgun to get it to a failure point.

The Versamax was supposed to be a Benelli killer, however out of the box it seems to be crap. If you want a VM get one from Benny.. his are BAD ASS..... I haven't seen a single VM out of the box that could hit a 50 yard slug shot on big steel. One of the first things that Benny done is straighten the barrel.

cajunautoxer

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    Houston
    I'm pretty sure most M2s have had worked done to them also. Their not completely GTG out the box. As far as Versamax and not shooting straight just find a tree or IIRC Benny uses a phone pole

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    I'm pretty sure most M2s have had worked done to them also. Their not completely GTG out the box. As far as Versamax and not shooting straight just find a tree or IIRC Benny uses a phone pole

yeah there is no such thing (unless you pay 2800 for the 3 Gun model) as an out of the box M2 ready for 3 gun..

Funny thing about that 3 Gun model too.. it is a a Triangle Shooting Sports (Benny Hill) gun for about 300 bucks more than Benny will do the work for.. :)

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I've been following the thread since I have the same issue of choosing a shotgun for 3-gun....what are these speed strippers that you are referring to?

The four round version of these. 12 GAUGE SPEED STRIPPER | Brownells

Six rounds is too many to "palm" and feed into a shotgun. There are places that make three round strippers for people with baby hands.

They work something like this:

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DSDExpresso
    Top Bottom