• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Spent a half hour here and there over the last few days sizing/depriming some OF 9mm brass. When I zipped up the bag today I felt like I was making a little progress, but then...

I weighed the other 2 bags I have that need sizing as well ! The jabba the hut fat bag on the right is the remaining blazer brass, there on the left is some Winchester NATO. Both weighing in at over 10 pounds each. After observing how much work I have ahead I was further demoralized when I remembered I'll have to ream the NATO brass before repriming or risk some crushed primers.

Oh, well. It was glorious for a moment. At least I can dream about the loaded rounds to come and appreciate the fact that I have some 9mm to shoot ! I'm willing to bet that there are plenty of members out there with 5 gallon buckets of joy awaiting them too.
    Military Camp

Attachments

• IMG_20210203_222641387~2.jpg
      IMG_20210203_222641387~2.jpg
      2.3 MB · Views: 385

Rusty Gun

brass picker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Gulf coast
    You have way more patience than I do. I take range bras through it in a tumbler for 2-3 hours
    and dump it in the hopper on my progressive. No sorting, no hand cleaning, no primer pocket cleaning, just fresh ammo. Once they are out of the tumbler, my system could take all three of those bags and make loaded ready to go ammo in an hour.

Rusty Gun

brass picker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Gulf coast
    If I remember right There are something like 113 empty 9mm cases per lb. if you have ten lbs in a bag that is somewhere north of 1100 cases per bag.

Those must really be “Texas tough” bags because I did not know you could get 1100 cases in a standard 1 gallon bag. That much weight would be pushing the limit of a standard zip lock.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    You have way more patience than I do. I take range bras through it in a tumbler for 2-3 hours
    and dump it in the hopper on my progressive. No sorting, no hand cleaning, no primer pocket cleaning, just fresh ammo. Once they are out of the tumbler, my system could take all three of those bags and make loaded ready to go ammo in an hour.
    It would take my progressive and me a few hours to load them up because I'm not in a rush at the press.

I think I loaded up 1,500 9mm a few months back over the course of 3 hours or so if not longer. Again, no rush.

Single stage press for handgun rounds is for the birds.

Rusty Gun

brass picker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Gulf coast
    It would take my progressive and me a few hours to load them up because I'm not in a rush at the press.

I think I loaded up 1,500 9mm a few months back over the course of 3 hours or so if not longer. Again, no rush.

You are right, at a leisurely pace my Dillon 650 can make about 400 rounds of 9mm an hour. I need some prep time to fill primer tubes and clean up time after but once I start pulling the handle there are a couple hundred rounds in the bin before I need another sip of my coffee.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    remembered I'll have to ream the NATO brass before repriming or risk some crushed primers.

Oh, well. It was glorious for a moment. At least I can dream about the loaded rounds to come and appreciate the fact that I have some 9mm to shoot ! I'm willing to bet that there are plenty of members out there with 5 gallon buckets of joy awaiting them too.

Consider a super swage from Dillon, it is faster for me than reaming by hand or drill and cleaner too. Short of a 1050, it is hard to beat for pistol brass, once you get into that rhythm with it. It is hard to imagine doing 9mm on a single stage anymore, bless you!

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I use a Lyman prep station and it speeds things up nicely. Wish I had bought it the day I started reloading 223 though. Would have saved me from sore thumbs countless times.

I have 5 full bags of completely unprocessed 223 that's next on the list. Makes my head spin just thinking about it. Luckily I have around 1k primed and ready to load. Probably why I keep putting it off.

Sometimes I feel like I'm living in the groundhogs day movie. The repetitious labor never ends !

sergeant69

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 6, 2016
    san marcos tx
    i go slow and load about 1000 rds an hour on my 1100. if i have crimped primer pockets to deal with i chuck my de burr tool pointy side down in a drill press and ream out that crimp in a milisecond per rd. never have to do it again.

HCS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2020
    Llano, TX
    I use a Lyman prep station and it speeds things up nicely. Wish I had bought it the day I started reloading 223 though. Would have saved me from sore thumbs countless times.

I have 5 full bags of completely unprocessed 223 that's next on the list. Makes my head spin just thinking about it. Luckily I have around 1k primed and ready to load. Probably why I keep putting it off.

Sometimes I feel like I'm living in the groundhogs day movie. The repetitious labor never ends !

when I wind up with large quantities of .223 brass with crimped primers, I process a little at a time when I am "resting" from other activities in my shop ( my reloading & gun room is partitioned off from the rest of the shop so I can shut the door & leave ongoing projects out of sight from nosey visitors)

HCS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2020
    Llano, TX
    I started of with a Dillon xl550 in about 1986 or so, then upgraded to the 650 in 2002 with the case feeder and auto indexing, can't imagine loading handgun ammo on a single stage press anymore, but I did for almost 10 years, wishing I could afford a Star loader and then came Dillon and the rest is history

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016

I take offense to that single stage press comment. I use a single stage Lee press. . Just kidding. I feel that way sometimes. But I’m barely over 75 rounds total reloaded so I just deal with the pain. Plus I’m a budget reloader with not a lot of cash so I make do with what I can afford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom