• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    I take offense to that single stage press comment. I use a single stage Lee press. . Just kidding. I feel that way sometimes. But I’m barely over 75 rounds total reloaded so I just deal with the pain. Plus I’m a budget reloader with not a lot of cash so I make do with what I can afford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I remember when I spring for my Dillon press I almost had buyers remorse because I am a budget reloader too and it wasn't cheap. But over time it pays for itself, and with ammo prices they way they are now it's easy to justify.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk
    Capitol Armory ad

GP40X

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    League City, TX
    Did a 50 round ladder today (actually yesterday evening) to see what load is best our of my snubbie. Debating on if I want to try to make it to the range tomorrow (today)

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    Hey, I know a guy who was doing 1,000 rounds a month with a Lee Loader and a plastic mallet. So I got a Lee Loader and used it just for fun, to try it out. Slow. Slow. Slow. Plus every once in a while you set a primer off which is a bit unnerving. If you took a Lee Loader and combined it with a priming tool (and maybe a Lee Perfect Powder Measure) it would improve things a lot.

I used a single stage for a few years, then I got a Dillon RL450, eventually upgraded to a 550 frame. But I still have the manual primer feed. It's fast enough for me. I'll run 1,000 rounds of whatever off after breakfast, and before lunch, and I don't get up especially early. I do about 300 or a bit better an hour I think. I don't really time myself.

One thing I've learned from all this: It's entirely possible to make equally accurate ammo with anything from a Lee Loader to a Super Dillon if you work at it a little bit. The only real difference is speed and cost.

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    Hey, I know a guy who was doing 1,000 rounds a month with a Lee Loader and a plastic mallet. So I got a Lee Loader and used it just for fun, to try it out. Slow. Slow. Slow. Plus every once in a while you set a primer off which is a bit unnerving. If you took a Lee Loader and combined it with a priming tool (and maybe a Lee Perfect Powder Measure) it would improve things a lot.

I used a single stage for a few years, then I got a Dillon RL450, eventually upgraded to a 550 frame. But I still have the manual primer feed. It's fast enough for me. I'll run 1,000 rounds of whatever off after breakfast, and before lunch, and I don't get up especially early. I do about 300 or a bit better an hour I think. I don't really time myself.

One thing I've learned from all this: It's entirely possible to make equally accurate ammo with anything from a Lee Loader to a Super Dillon if you work at it a little bit. The only real difference is speed and cost.
    When I bought my 1st 550('84) I was loading 1k of 44mag per hour without case or bullet feeders. Back the I only loaded 2 cartridges (44mag and 264wm). I do 200-500 per hour now. It's more relaxing.

LinuxAssailant

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2020
    Soon to be Texan
    I get like 400-600/hour (depending if someone helps me load primers in tubes) for 9mm, and like 200-300/hour for .223/5.56 on my Dillon XL 650. It'd be tough to go to a single-stage for me...

I did single stage for a few hundred .38 SPL and .357 Mag. and it was... an unhappy -LinuxAssailant...
    At least 300/hour in .38 SPL, and .357 Mag once I got dedicated toolheads for those in the progressive, and I am a MUCH happier LinuxAssailant.

Cob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2021
    Midland texas
    Get into reloading then you start casting your own pistol bullets/ rifle bullets then shotgun shells especially the sub ga yea it’s a never ending thing been doing for fifty years and still fill like I don’t know Jack shit about it

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    I highly recommend EVERYONE whose a reloader and doesn't yet have a 1050/1100 to spend 2 minutes every 2 weeks searching Craigslist Search Tempest- it will search nationwide in 1 shot...

I know it's highly unlikely in the current climate, but I have purchased 4 1050s over the years with this method, and never paid more than $800 (and that one had 3 tool heads and powder measures, 8 sets of dies, and a ton of other extras)...

There is a guy I know right now who scored an RL1050 w/extras for $500 about 2 weeks ago searching craigslist...

I know it's super rare, but it's entirely possible to get a 1050 for well under $1000... then, when something like the current situation hits, sell it/them for enough to upgrade to a Mark 7 :) (that's what I've done)

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    Is a Mark 7 reeeaaallly an upgrade? :)

maaaan, I sure hope so. I haven’t taken delivery, yet, but my entire reason for going the Mk7 route is the separate powder check, bullet drop, seat, and crimp stations.

2 squibs (one on the 550 15+ years ago, and one more recently on a 1050) that slipped by were the impetus for my change.

yes I know they’re going to be a learning curve, but that’s pretty much the case for all fairly complex mechanical systems. Hopefully it’ll be worth it and I will definitely be posting here once I get it all set up and running.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    maaaan, I sure hope so. I haven’t taken delivery, yet, but my entire reason for going the Mk7 route is the separate powder check, bullet drop, seat, and crimp stations.

2 squibs (one on the 550 15+ years ago, and one more recently on a 1050) that slipped by were the impetus for my change.

yes I know they’re going to be a learning curve, but that’s pretty much the case for all fairly complex mechanical systems. Hopefully it’ll be worth it and I will definitely be posting here once I get it all set up and running.

Definitely post a review.

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    1621741775869.png

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Ammo-Load for all pistol calibers...

Pssshhh... only if you have a priming machine. Have fun running 3 or 4 of them with primer fillers. They are solid but the shear pins stink, the standard bullet feed is problematic, you have disc powder drops, and they lack a bullet sensor. If they would upgrade them to a bit more modern sensors and shuttles, it would be nice. I may be a little biased though.

20210212_124121.jpg

Top Bottom