• ...and so much more!
  • navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    It will behove you to take a few minutes to understand the different steels used in blades. Sometimes a knife looks really good, but it may not perform for your intended use based on the blade material. There are a lot of resources on the web. Here's just one of them. I'm partial to Spidercos. They have some made of ZD189 steel which is excellent for holding an edge.

The Knife Steel FAQ by Joe Talmadge Custom Knives at Knife Art
    Target Sports

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    It will behove you to take a few minutes to understand the different steels used in blades. Sometimes a knife looks really good, but it may not perform for your intended use based on the blade material. There are a lot of resources on the web. Here's just one of them. I'm partial to Spidercos. They have some made of ZD189 steel which is excellent for holding an edge.

The Knife Steel FAQ by Joe Talmadge Custom Knives at Knife Art

Thanks for the link!

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I have been carrying a Gerber Mini-paraframe for about 8 years. Its a great little knife. Its great for boxes, etc. and when you need a quick blade. Its tiny and is easy carried in my change pocket.

I do prefer the non-serrated blade. (had both) And the best part is they are around $8 at Academy, under $10 everywhere. I actually call it my butt-hole knife. I watched a guide use one to gut a deer one time, and have used mine to do the same. Just have to keep it sharp. You go through the butt, then to the front. Interesting technique, easier to do. My BIL still tells me there is no way I can gut a deer with a knife that small. I just chuckle. My kids have seen me dress their deer that way. Likely could not do a elk, or similar animal, but a whitetail is not problem with it.

And, if you happen to be in line at an airport with it in your pocket, you don't feel bad about throwing it away due to the price.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Kershaw Blur is a great knife at a good price. Be warned - they're razor sharp when you open that box!!

I really like the serrated versions.

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    I am another blade fanatic voicing his approval of a plane edge. Serrated blades are nice when new, but for me they tend to lose their luster with time. As HiCap mentioned the Kershaw Junkyard Dog II is very nice. Another Kershaw you might look into is the Packrat. It has displaced the JYDII as my most carried blade.
    http://www.kershaw-knives.net/Kershaw-Packrat-1665.php

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Do you have a specific purpose in mind? Remember that while a lot of guys swear up and down there are no good knives for under $50, $100, $300, whatever, a good man with a crappy knife will always be better than a crappy man with a good knife, no matter what you are using it for.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Eh, I have used the serrated part too much over the years. My work blade is a serrated Sog Trident (not really impressed with that knife overall), but my off-work knife is a Kershaw Volt II plain edge.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Thanks for all the info! I'm liking benchmade and kershaw, strongly prefer something made in America.

As for the purpose, I suppose it would be an EDC thing I'd keep with me at work or anywhere else I go. Also to cut open boxes and whatever other junk a knife could be used for. I see what you all mean with the serrated. I do cut rarely cut rope or wire sometimes but nothing that a straight blade shouldn't be able to slice through.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Serrated are a PITA to sharpen. Why a folder, why not a small fixed blade? This is as easy to carry as a pocket knife.

Here's a compact fixed blade that I really like for the price...
    Amazon.com: Ka-Bar BK14 Becker Knife and Tool Eskabar Knife: Sports & Outdoors
    Review The ESKABAR is here! - Page 4 (pic heavy thread)

2010_10280037.jpg

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I'all learn when I get a knife! I have this cheap old beat to shit dull one my dad gave me a long time ago. I learned to sharpen them yesterday at work a little.

And I want a folder because it stores inside itself, rather than a sheath which is another item you have to carry.

Top Bottom