• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    But I don't really want it for any specific purpose. Maybe the most use it would get would be to cut tape off of packages lol. I was looking at some online a week or two ago, then I saw this girl at my work with a kershaw, and it looked kinda cool.

Thing is, I don't know jack shit about knives other than that the pointy side goes into my enemies (I have none). I'm looking for something folding, durable, that can withstand a nuke. I prefer big blades, but I still want it to be compact. I don't want it to be more than $80, unless it is the best shit ever, which I doubt.

Any suggestions?
    Gun Zone Deals

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Benchmade, Gerber, and Ka Bar ar some I like.

I usually get Gerber cause they are usually alittle cheaper and easy to sharpen but they don't hold an edge as long

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I also don't know jack shit about sharpening. I tried to use that concrete cement slab thing before, always end up doing nothing. I like those V notch sharpeners though, they are... to the point (pun intended)

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I used to keep one in the truck, couldn't get the same edge as a wet stone but still pretty descent.

stx kid

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    laredo
    Get a buck knife. It will last you forever. I carry one and it's sharp as hell. Ofcourse I've also got a fancy sharpening kit.

A buck 110 will run you around $40
    A smith's Dimond sharpening set will go for about 20.
    Having a damn good knife that can dress/skin/quarter a hog and still maintain it's edge... Priceless

Btw, if you get the sharpening set like I have can teach you how to use it over the phone... Or you could read the destruction book..

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I think the sharpener I kept in the truck was a Smith's, not the best, but you can't F it up if you try.

rifletex91

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Houston
    Kershaw blur and a Lansky turn box Crock stick sharpener. Will cost you under 100 for both. The kershaw in the picture is the one I use the most at work. Mainly for cutting tape off of boxes and slicing up cardboard. Even used it for prying a few times and still going strong.
    View attachment 12998

rifletex91

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Houston
    You just hold the knife straight with the edge down. Then as your pushing down against the side of the rods you would also
    pull the knife towards you to sharpen that entire edge. Then you would do the same for the other side and repeat about 20 times for each side.

xstuntman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    west Texas
    If you want a tactical type folder the Kershaws are within your price range.
    Buck also makes some good ones just not as many tactical types.

My edc is a Spyderco Tenacious, check out the reviews on that one btw. They can be had for around thirty dollars but are built like a knife three times that price.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    kershaw junkyard dog II, mine stayed sharp for about 8 months of moderate use before i sharpened it... holds an edge like you wouldn't believe. the D2 steel is like no other, and the knife is built like a brick shithouse, i carry this knife daily.

see this: Amazon.com: Kershaw Junkyard Dog II Ken Onion Folding Knife Gray Plain Drop Point Liner Lock/Pocket Clip 3.75" Black G10 Box 1725CB: Sports & Outdoors

it can be found cheaper, but here is a pic for reference.
    Kershaw%20Junkyard%20II%20Comp%20Blade%201725CB_1.jpg

Really liking the looks of this one!

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    kershaw junkyard dog II, mine stayed sharp for about 8 months of moderate use before i sharpened it... holds an edge like you wouldn't believe. the D2 steel is like no other, and the knife is built like a brick shithouse, i carry this knife daily.

see this: Amazon.com: Kershaw Junkyard Dog II Ken Onion Folding Knife Gray Plain Drop Point Liner Lock/Pocket Clip 3.75" Black G10 Box 1725CB: Sports & Outdoors

it can be found cheaper, but here is a pic for refer
    Kershaw%20Junkyard%20II%20Comp%20Blade%201725CB_1.jpg

Okay so for now I am leaning towards this one, but what's the advantage of the composite blade like the one pictured over the combo serrated one? I want that exact one as pictured and I assume its the composite?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I have has alot of knive and found that for everyday use the serrated portion get in the was. I ways get the plain strait edge now. The serrated edges are better for cutting thick tough rope I guess but generaly a strait edge seems to work better. Not sure what the composite is.

Top Bottom