• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I think your suspicion is right on with it. Those definitely look like tumbling or "keyholing" bullets. I bet the barrel has an irregular twist rate or the cylinder is out of time. May even have a defective barrel altogether.

A few years back century was guilty of producing polish tantals that were notorious for keyholing. Turned out to be over sized barrels.
    Texas SOT

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    Well, they are owned by Taurus. Had I known that I may have reconsidered.

Live and learn.

Sent from a B-52 flying over Russia.

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    When I went shopping for a Heritage Rough Rider, the store I went to didn't carry them.
    They did have the Chiappa single action 22/22WMR. At $169 I was sold.
    It is no where near the quality of the Ruger Single Six. It is a good value for the money.
    I've had one flier in fifty or so shots at the range. It may have been the ammunition. IDK.
    I haven't yet tried the WMR cylinder.
    I bought it primarily to dispatch crows that didn't die in the sky. Crows can get nasty, kind of like an animal in a trap.
    The pistol serves its purpose well.

The Armscor 22WMR that was suggested above is actually labeled 22MRF. It is the correct ammunition for WMR.

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    Anybody with a knowledge of the workings of a revolver want to buy one cheap?

If you recall, or have read through this thread, you know I was having keyholing issues with both the .22lr and .22WMR cylinders of this Heritage Rough Rider.

I received it back from them yesterday with a slip that said it was fixed and they had shot 12 rounds of each to confirm this fact. I wanted to see if they were true to their word and took it for a spin this morning.

It is still doing it with both cylinders. I picked up one of those cheap bore cameras off Amazon, so I am going to have a look at how they are lining up when I get some time this evening. Not sure I will be able to tell, nor will I be able to do anything about it, but at least I will be a step closer to diagnosing the problem.

Caveat emptor is my phrase for today.

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    Okay.

So I ran home for lunch, and couldn't stand the curiosity any longer. Got my bore camera out and went down the muzzle to see if I could determine if the cylinder was not lining up properly. Boy was I in for a surprise.

Correct me if I am wrong, but this doesn't look like any rifling I have evey seen:

https://vimeo.com/153954928

Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions?

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Ummm, that doesn't resemble rifling at all. It looks like the barrel was reamed to size instead of button rifled. The concentric ridges could not be conducive to accuracy. I don't think I have ever seen one that looked that terrible, it's worse than a smooth bore ! I would let it go or trade it off asap.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Ummm, that doesn't resemble rifling at all. It looks like the barrel was reamed to size instead of button rifled. The concentric ridges could not be conducive to accuracy. I don't think I have ever seen one that looked that terrible, it's worse than a smooth bore ! I would let it go or trade it off asap.
    Yep. I don't see any rifling at all. Just rings.

I would send it back to them.

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    I am glad y'all were able to view it and confirm what I thought was NO RIFLING AT ALL.

I will be contacting them soon. Hopefully there is a way I can send the video as proof.

I knew that camera would serve a purpose someday!

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Holy Hell! Can you at least get a flashlight and shine it in the barrel from the cylinder end and look down it? That thing looks like the inverse of a ring shank nail.

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    Holy Hell! Can you at least get a flashlight and shine it in the barrel from the cylinder end and look down it? That thing looks like the inverse of a ring shank nail.
    That's a good idea and I will try it when I get home.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Probably work real good with rat shot.
    And sadly, a "smooth bore" handgun is illegal.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Very interesting couple of videos. I bought one of those $13 cameras too, a few months ago. I'm going to get it out of the box and try it some day.

I believe they need to replace your pistol.

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    Very interesting couple of videos. I bought one of those $13 cameras too, a few months ago. I'm going to get it out of the box and try it some day.

I believe they need to replace your pistol.
    Calling them shortly. They are open until 9:00 central time.

Gonna give them an earful.

Top Bottom