• ...and so much more!
  • Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    A good theory Moonpie.

Your knowledge never ceases to amaze me.

I just checked and the extra cylinder in the box is clearly marked .22WMR while the one installed currently has no markings at all.

I will try and track down some WMR locally tomorrow, or order some online of I am unsuccessful.

Stand by gents.

Sent from a B-52 flying over Russia.
    Texas SOT

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    Another range trip today and no closer to a determination on if the long rifle is key holing. I went to an indoor range with a hanging target.

I was able to track down some .22 Magnums and give 50 rounds a whirl. Same looking impacts as the long rifle. Loved shooting them though.

Going to hit an outdoor range that has solid backing to do more testing.

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    I was able to get to a range this morning that had solid backing for my targets. Below are some pictures of the .22lr shots I took. Some on a shoot and see type target, and two on just the paper target.

As you can see in this photo the round on the bottom looks like what I get when shooting at 50 yards with my rifle. The top two not so much.

6945abc36c605e2d7d5ffab1165215dd.jpg

This is another single round on the shoot and see.

1a9998a7b8089cf751225a10ae1a3903.jpg

And here are the two on just the paper.

8de0d1feef57c293c49e39d09b747c7d.jpg

I am not an expert (and that is why I am asking your opinions), but that sure does look like keyholing to me.

I didn't have another .22 pistol to compare the impacts to, but some of the holes being made were bigger than the 9mm I also was shooting.

I have a .22 conversion kit for my SIG P226 on the way so once that comes in I will do some side by side testing.

If (and I think it is) keyholing, what would be the cause?

stemoo01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2014
    The right hand hole on the final target looks very keyhole'y to me. I'd look at the muzzle & rifling first, then try some different ammo.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Do a simple test.

Take a loaded cartridge, insert it tip first into the barrel. Observe how far down the ogive the bullet goes in.
    Take the same cartridge and insert it in each chamber mouth on the cylinder. It should go in slightly further.
    Maybe the mouths are too small and swaging the bullet down before it enters the barrel bore.
    If that is the case you can try for an exchange or have a gunsmith open up the chamber mouths a little but that will cost $.

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    Do a simple test.

Take a loaded cartridge, insert it tip first into the barrel. Observe how far down the ogive the bullet goes in.
    Take the same cartridge and insert it in each chamber mouth on the cylinder. It should go in slightly further.
    Maybe the mouths are too small and swaging the bullet down before it enters the barrel bore.
    If that is the case you can try for an exchange or have a gunsmith open up the chamber mouths a little but that will cost $.
    Did this simple test.

Unfired cartridge goes into the barrel 1/3-1/2 of the way in.

Same cartridge seats fully in the cylinder. I did notice that in the individual chambers there was a gap of maybe 1/4" between the tip of the bullet and the barrel end of the chamber.

Could it be that the cylinder isn't locking up perfectly with he barrel? Thus causing shearing of the bullet before it enters the barrel/rifling?

This is my first foray into the world of revolvers so I am a noob to how they operate.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Did this simple test.

Same cartridge seats fully in the cylinder. I did notice that in the individual chambers there was a gap of maybe 1/4" between the tip of the bullet and the barrel end of the chamber.

Could it be that the cylinder isn't locking up perfectly with he barrel? Thus causing shearing of the bullet before it enters the barrel/rifling?

This is my first foray into the world of revolvers so I am a noob to how they operate.

Was the test done with the lr cylinder? It still has to have the length of the magnum cylinder to be interchangeable. If you suspect misalignment of cylinder to bore, hold a sheet of notebook paper to the side of the gun when firing. About a foot away. If shavings penetrate the paper, misalignment is an issue. Try both left and right sides.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Did this simple test.

You tried pushing the round into the front of the cylinder, correct? Like backwards from normal.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Install the cylinder as normal.
    Bring the gun to full cock.
    Insert a .22 cleaning rod in the muzzle and slide it down far enough to go into the mouth of the chamber that is aligned with the bore.
    If possible use a section of cleaning rod with the square shoulder at the threaded area inserted first.
    Gently pass the shoulder of the rod against/thru the barrel gap between the cylinder and barrel forcing cone.
    What you're attempting to do is check the cylinder to barrel alignment. If you can feel a sharp lip or ridge the cylinder isn't aligning correctly.
    Look carefully at the locking lug notches on the outside of cylinder. Are they cut square? Any peening evident? A drag mark is normal.
    It's possible the locking lug is too wide to correctly fit into the cylinder notch. This would prevent proper alignment when fully cocked.

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    I will give all these suggestions a try shortly (except the live fire one) and see what I can determine.

Thanks guys!

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    Spoke with Heritage customs service last night. I got the shipping label emailed to me this afternoon. I was surprised that it was being shipped to Taurus International. I wasn't aware that Heritage was owned by them.

Customer service was nice. I explained the situation and they didn't ask any questions out of the ordinary. Didn't grill me to see if I did something wrong. Just asked me for my info and that was it.

Going to FedEx tomorrow to send it off.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Sorry to hear about your problems. I almost bought one of these a few years ago but coughed up the money for a single six instead. When I handled one it felt like it was a pot metal gun. I'm sure the barrel and cylinder are proper steel but overall it just didn't feel right to me. Not to be negative but I think the "get what you pay for" rule applies here. I hope they make it right for you, 22 revolvers are a hoot.

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    Sorry to hear about your problems. I almost bought one of these a few years ago but coughed up the money for a single six instead. When I handled one it felt like it was a pot metal gun. I'm sure the barrel and cylinder are proper steel but overall it just didn't feel right to me. Not to be negative but I think the "get what you pay for" rule applies here. I hope they make it right for you, 22 revolvers are a hoot.
    Agreed that you get what you pay for. It was kind of an "impulse/it was on sale" buy, but what the heck.

We'll see if they make it right.

I have a .22 conversion for my SIG 226 arriving either today or tomorrow. I can then see if it was in fact keyholing. I am fairly certain it was.

Top Bottom