Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Glad to hear it worked out.
    I was afraid they might know a bit about eviction laws & played this scam every where they went, knowing they could get away with it for a while.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    Glad to hear it worked out.
    I was afraid they might know a bit about eviction laws & played this scam every where they went, knowing they could get away with it for a while.

That possibility worried me too but it turns out they're just childishly irresponsible. They act as though they've been given everything on a silver platter their entire lives never having to do much of anything to be self-sustaining or to contribute to a family. It'll be difficult at their age to change and grow up to be responsible adults but I do wish them the best in doing so.

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Glad everything worked out.

I used to know a guy who rented a house in South Lake Tahoe, California. He had a problem with a renter that stopped paying, and essentially waited until the day before the sheriff came to vacate. In California this is a multi-month process at best. Turns out this guy was known by the local PD for doing exactly this.

After this particular episode, he sold the property and bought one on the Nevada side. Had a similar occurrence, called the sheriff, guy was out in less than a week. Evictions are easy in Nevada... Even in Washoe County.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    I hear evictions are difficult here in Texas too... can take up to a few months at least. I've been warned to not let anyone with kids move in because it can be nearly impossible to get them out... folks with disabilities too. I don't know that it's going to be worth the worries and headaches. Too bad...

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    I hear evictions are difficult here in Texas too... can take up to a few months at least. I've been warned to not let anyone with kids move in because it can be nearly impossible to get them out... folks with disabilities too. I don't know that it's going to be worth the worries and headaches. Too bad...

It depends on why you want them out but the biggest thing is the JP. They can pretty much do what they want but it's not complicated and doesn't take that long.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    It depends on why you want them out but the biggest thing is the JP. They can pretty much do what they want but it's not complicated and doesn't take that long.
    Most JPs will routinely issue a notice to vacate on a non-paying tenant with a 7-day limit. However, I have seen a JP give someone 30 days when they came up with a big enough sob story about their disabled child and the problem with finding daycare in a new location. I've never known a JP to grant more than 30 days to someone who hasn't and won't pay their rent.

If anyone else has seen a longer deadline, I'd love to know which JP and what set of circumstances prompted them to be that lenient.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I've been told it can be a nightmare but seven to thirty days isn't bad.
    To be fair, it's not 7 to 30 days. It's "the legal timeline" PLUS "the time it takes to get a Constable to come do their thing." That last half of the equation may cause you absolutely no delay if you're an apartment manager and do this stuff a dozen times a month...or it can delay you for months because you have a single rental property that's inconvenient for anyone to visit and you don't have an established relationship with a Constable.

Try, for example, to evict a tenant who is closely related to or dating a Constable in your jurisdiction. Harvesting timber works on a shorter business cycle.

NOTE: Exaggeration is for effect. All my mildly autistic kindred need not point out that it's possible to evict someone quicker that you can grow a tree. But sometimes, when everything goes wrong, it can feel that way. :)

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    I suppose if I had a half dozen rental cabins on my property one or two evictions wouldn't hurt so badly but I currently have but one dwelling to rent. To compound the problem, there is no separate address and my home plus the other domicile is fed from the same electric and water meters so I have to include those costs in the rent. So, if it takes six months to evict someone then not only will I lose rent and have repair costs but utility costs too. There's a separate box on the pole and I can lock it plus I can changed the water cut-off to a box with a lock... but I doubt the law will allow me to shut off their power and water. I don't know though.

Last edited:

ShadowOp7

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2014
    I had tenants and was left with $4500 in bills after they left. I suggest having the notice hand delivered by a Sheriff.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Water company and electric company can cut off your stuff for not paying the bill. I don't know why a renter wouldn't be able to for non-payment.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I had tenants and was left with $4500 in bills after they left. I suggest having the notice hand delivered by a Sheriff.

Are you saying delivery by a Sherriff would have changed this outcome?
    And, how were you liable for their bills, or was it all in your name cause you were being a nice guy??

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    Water company and electric company can cut off your stuff for not paying the bill. I don't know why a renter wouldn't be able to for non-payment.

I'm only speculating but when the power and water companies cut people off for nonpayment it's fair and just because... we didn't pay our bills. But when a small-time landlord cuts off water and power to nonpaying tenants... that's just mean and cruel. My "guess" is the laws are far better at protecting deadbeat tenants than honest landlords. I'll look into it though.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    They're not any relation to me... just half-brothers to each other. And they apparently seem to move from place-to-place taking advantage of those who trust them.:(
    We have it good in Texas, go to Ca and it can take YEARS to get them out of the house and when you the clean up can cost you thousands.

Top Bottom