• robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I'm ashamed to admit I'm a probable patsy. We have a pool house we rent to college students with no contract. Never to anybody who we don't know either them, or their families. Cash on the barrelhead. Never had a problem, but learned a few lessons over the years. Rent to girls. Guys want to use the hot tub with the girl of the week.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Great timing on this thread as the daughter is trying to sell her house and the current tenant doesn't want to leave (even though she's leaving in 8 months to move to Kalifornia).

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Great timing on this thread as the daughter is trying to sell her house and the current tenant doesn't want to leave (even though she's leaving in 8 months to move to Kalifornia).
    Sale of a property is grounds for eviction.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Sale of a property is grounds for eviction.
    Not if they have a lease with an unexpired term. You just sell the property as occupied. Happens all the time. Some buyers prefer to buy leased properties so that they immediately get rent revenue.

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Not if they have a lease with an unexpired term. You just sell the property as occupied. Happens all the time. Some buyers prefer to buy leased properties so that they immediately get rent revenue.

Your right that the seller can't evict but the buyer can. I should have been more specific.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    UPDATE: Last night I laid down the law. The losers did what they always do and slept until 2PM yesterday after their employer told them THREE TIMES to be just two houses over at 8AM to go to work. I asked them how they ever expect to pay rent if they sleep all day and don't work. Also, they weren't doing the labor here either. So I told them if they keep doing what they're doing I'll call the sheriff to have them evicted. They left last night. I'm guessing they may have legal issues and don't want to be found. They seemed like good decent young men. But... my ability to judge character began to fail years ago.

At any rate, they're gone and if they return for any reason they'll be trespassing... in Texas.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    • What you're really hoping for is that they'll skip and avoid the hassles of dealing with the legal system.
    ...I told them if they keep doing what they're doing I'll call the sheriff to have them evicted. They left last night.
    Sounds like an optimum resolution.

Next time, please get a signed lease plus first and last month's rent. It makes life easier for everybody.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    Sounds like an optimum resolution.

Next time, please get a signed lease plus first and last month's rent. It makes life easier for everybody.

Right!!:)

I didn't prepare a lease because their boss... my neighbor was trying to help them... and me. These guys were from out of state and broke... I needed to raise funds with rent. I came out okay because they paid "some rent" in cash and did "some labor" on the property. Since I don't have to worry about this any longer... I did okay. We all came out about even and fair.

Last edited:

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Not if they have a lease with an unexpired term.

But there's no written lease, so it's basically month to month.

Your right that the seller can't evict but the buyer can. I should have been more specific.

I told the son in law to just tell the tenant the name of the buyer of who they need to make the rent check out to, and that the rent was going to quadruple after closing, but that would be between the tenant and the new owner.

Seemed like a simple win-win. Either the tenant says I'm not paying that much and leaves, or the new owner says, for that kind of money they can stay.

Top Bottom