• ...and so much more!
  • Angered_Kabar

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Kansas City :(
    Speaking of Hoppes...

I picked up a tube of Hoppes Gun Grease for $3 and it looks like there's enough to last me the rest of my life. This stuff also smells REALLY good. Minty and fresh.

mkillebrew

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Austin
    Cleaning after a trip to the range is integral to the experience, plus I just like huffing solvent. The carry 1911 gets a dusting then some light oil on the rails usually weekly regardless if it's seen the range, along with a function check.

Outbreak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Abilene, TX
    Handguns get cleaned when I feel like it...every thousand rounds or so.

One AR hasn't been cleaned or lubed in quite a while, like over a year. Keeps shooting.

.22 Semis get cleaned a lot, especially after suppressed fire. They get filthy and actually start failing to cycle because of all the grime.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Cleaning after a trip to the range is integral to the experience, plus I just like huffing solvent. The carry 1911 gets a dusting then some light oil on the rails usually weekly regardless if it's seen the range, along with a function check.
    w have a winner i wipe mine down weekly cause they are my edc rotation plus i like to take em apart, 1911s fo life

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I think I may also be a hoppes junkie. I typically put 150-200 rds through each gun I bring out when I shoot and I'll bring out 3 or 4 on every range trip. It just never felt right to let them sit around dirty til' my next trip. It's nice to see that I'm not the only one out there who cleans after every shoot. For the AR owners out there, do y'all also clean out the carbon build up inside your bcg after every session ? Does anyone make a specialized tool for scraping the carbon out ? If not, I may have to make one myself. That always seems like the hardest part of the bcg to clean. Thanks to all who threw in their 2 cents, now I can tell my wife that I'm not crazy or obsessive, just a responsible gun owner !

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    I think I may also be a hoppes junkie. I typically put 150-200 rds through each gun I bring out when I shoot and I'll bring out 3 or 4 on every range trip. It just never felt right to let them sit around dirty til' my next trip. It's nice to see that I'm not the only one out there who cleans after every shoot. For the AR owners out there, do y'all also clean out the carbon build up inside your bcg after every session ? Does anyone make a specialized tool for scraping the carbon out ? If not, I may have to make one myself. That always seems like the hardest part of the bcg to clean. Thanks to all who threw in their 2 cents, now I can tell my wife that I'm not crazy or obsessive, just a responsible gun owner !

They do make a tool that scrapes the BCG. I found one at Cheaper Than Dirt - America's Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter. I couldn't believe how much crud gets on the BCG after only a few rounds.

double_r76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Cibolo
    I usually clean the grease and gunk out of a new purchase, make sure they are properly assembled, and conduct a function check... there are guns that haven't been cleaned since this initial treatment. My Glock 34 is over 1K rounds without a cleaning at this point. I'll probably clean it after a couple more matches.

-Randy

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I clean my range guns either before or after each range trip, depending on how lazy I'm feeling after the last shoot. I clean my social items (Glocks) when I feel like it.

Angered_Kabar

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Kansas City :(
    Yeah I used to clean the heck out of my bolt carrier. Took a cleaning rod and wrapped a patch around it and scraped the sides and the bottom. Use a spent casing to scrape the carbon from the back of the bolt. Then I stopped caring. Just give it a good wipe down and make sure it's lubed well and don't worry about it. The act of firing more or less scrapes fouling from the vital areas of the bolt and bolt carrier.

Top Bottom