• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Just wanted to see how often you guys clean your guns. Am I crazy because I clean them after every single time I shoot ? I always hear about how someone puts 500 or 1000 rds down range before they clean em'. I prefer to have my guns ready to rock for any situation. Is that overkill, or just a good habit ? Now, before I get roasted for being such a clean freak, I have to admit that I also do a lot of load testing on my reloads and like to give each recipe a fresh gun to shoot through when I evaluate their respective performance. I use carbon fiber tipton rods and feel like they never really hurt the crowns when used properly, so I don't think there's much of a downside to it. Chime in and let me know what y'all think.
    Target Sports

Poink88

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Austin
    As far as I am concerned, there are different reasons for cleaning a gun. One is because you need to, and the other is just because you want to. I do clean my guns after each shoot but also do it when I feel like. I do what makes me happy and that is my story... ;)

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    As far as I am concerned, there are different reasons for cleaning a gun. One is because you need to, and the other is just because you want to. I do clean my guns after each shoot but also do it when I feel like. I do what makes me happy and that is my story... ;)

I completely agree, I clean after every shoot just because I love taking them apart and scrubbing them down. Ironically, I try and buy only guns known for their reliability even while dirty.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    My handguns I clean after every time I shoot them. It may not be a full scrub down, but barrels and moving parts get cleaned and oiled.

My rifles is a different story. Bolt actions usually only get a bore snake and wipe down, until accuracy goes south, then they get a full cleaning. It takes multiple shots to get them to settle down again after a bore scrub, so I avoid it until I feel it is necessary.

Autoloaders get a pretty good cleaning after shooting because they need it more. Reliability is key to them working properly, and cleaning the actions is the best way to maintain that.

22s very seldom get cleaned.

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    After every range visit, and twice on Saturday...lol...At least 2 twice a year...I try and take everything out at least once a year and shoot it. so it gets cleaned then as well..

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I too clean after shooting. I might not get to it the same day, but usually no more than 2 days after. I hate putting a dirty gun in the safe. A few I have that don't get shot much, get cleaned a couple times a year. Which reminds me my BHP is due.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Just wanted to see how often you guys clean your guns. Am I crazy because I clean them after every single time I shoot ? I always hear about how someone puts 500 or 1000 rds down range before they clean em'.

I guess you don't shoot much when you go to the range, it would not be odd for me to put 300-500 rds. through a gun every time I go, & I never only take one gun.
    To answer the question, every time I come back from shooting I clean the guns.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    My handguns I clean after every time I shoot them. It may not be a full scrub down, but barrels and moving parts get cleaned and oiled.

My rifles is a different story. Bolt actions usually only get a bore snake and wipe down, until accuracy goes south, then they get a full cleaning. It takes multiple shots to get them to settle down again after a bore scrub, so I avoid it until I feel it is necessary.

Autoloaders get a pretty good cleaning after shooting because they need it more. Reliability is key to them working properly, and cleaning the actions is the best way to maintain that.

22s very seldom get cleaned.

I'm pretty much in line with this - but I do clean my .22s

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    I think it strange you wouldn't clean the 22s very often. They seem to get the lion's share of grit and grime build up!

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    That's half the fun of shooting... Go home and break 'em down and clean them. The smell of Hoppes #9 is intoxicating.

I like to check and make sure there are not any metal shavings, or other undesirable results from a days shooting. As much time and money you have invested in your firearms, you should take care of them. You may not have time to clean them when SHTF, or the zombies come knocking ;)

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    When they need it, which varies by gun. My .22s every 200 or so because .22 is such dirty stuff. My AR and Sig around 500 rounds or so. Basic cleaning on the AR at that count (just clean the barrel), a little more comprehensive on the Sig.

I can't remember the last time I cleaned my AK...

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    I was taught to clean after every range session.
    The Marine Corps reinforced this.
    ...the Corps also taught me that you don't need a reason to get all your Marines to the armory and spend all day cleaning the same damn rifles that were already clean when we got there, but that's a completely different story.

Top Bottom