• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Farmboy Marine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Bryan, TX
    My Mossberg 500 holds 5+1, but I also have a 6 shot side saddle just in case. Hopefully, I'm never in a situation where you need to empty the mag...

Defense-wise, I think it's a perfect size because it keeps me from having to swing a 2-foot barrel around in my home. Typically, I keep 5 in the tube with the chamber empty, but safety off and slide halfway back. I live alone though so I don't have to worry about anyone messing with it or hurting themselves.

cdevon1200

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    my +2 tube is out for repairs (the cap broke off- under "lifetime warranty"- being replace free and is in the wind as of monday) so i am limited to 5+1.
    2 "get out" #4, next is 3 00#, and a slug. when the tube comes back, its +1 00# and +1 slug.
    years ago i got some "50 foot long flash bulbs- 12 ga shells that were filled with grains of magnesium and 7 1/2 shot" they were really cool, but NOT safe in hd due to the catching stuff on fire kinda thing they do.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I keep 7 in mine. 1st one is a rubber riot slug, if they still persist, they can experience the following 6 buckshot rounds

Shooting someone with a riot slug is still considered deadly force, but if it's home defense, at the onset of burglary you are good to go legally. However, I personally would hate to be in a situation where I need that first shot to count and you suddenly remember that it's a less-than-lethal. Ultimately it's your own bacon you are saving, but I figured I'd just throw that at you for some food for thought.

DRG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    Arlington
    Standard mag capacity should be sufficient for home defense. If you have never practiced reloading with a side saddle, I wouldn't recommend one. I think they just get in the way. At most I would add a mag extension. That should give you enough rounds until help arrives, that is if you have called 911 first....

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    I have some S&W police riot shotguns that were taken out of the California libtard police vehicles. From what I heard , the CHP doesnt allow shotguns in the cruisers anymore.
    So, I ended up with some. They look a lot like an 870. They hold 5 in the tube, 4 in the speed loader stock, and 5 more in the sock . 14 rounds on each gun. chambered in 2-3/4.
    Fun to shoot to.

West Texas

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Texas!
    In most home defense situations, where you are dealing with a robbery or an un-suspecting burgler, once the BG is shot at once, they are leaving as fast as they can. In a situation where it is a home invasion and they are there to DO you harm, your best bet is "thinning of the herd" as fast as you can, and nothing says "herd thinning" in that situation as good as 00 buckshot. This is when the number of rounds could become important. If the BG's CAME IN to HURT you, they aren't as likely to leave without doing so. and a prolonged standoff until back-up can get there (police) is more likely...so think defense...defensive moving to assure cover for the rest of the family...and having a pump or semi-auto shotgun is easy to relaod one or two rounds at a time....and should be practiced. Shoot, duck, load, shoot, duck, load... our range allows for that kind of drill...

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    i jsut got a 6 round butt cuff, and a 20 rnd belt.
    belt has buckshot, butt has slugs. probly will put a sidesaddle with slugs. and maybe a speed feed stock(with dragon breath rounds).
    :)
    just in case.

smschulz

Paid for CUT
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Shooting someone with a riot slug is still considered deadly force, but if it's home defense, at the onset of burglary you are good to go legally.

Wouldn't ANY life or death threatening scenario qualify for deadly force regardless of the weapon or ammo load of choice?

West Texas

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Texas!
    Wouldn't ANY life or death threatening scenario qualify for deadly force regardless of the weapon or ammo load of choice?

If you use deadly force against a BG because he was threatening your life, fine...

But let's just say....

...That the local DA is an anti-gun a** with a hard-on for making a name for himself by showing that you were just out to kill ANYONE, and the unfortunate victim here was that nice, 25 year old Hispanic man with all of those beautiful gang tat's that came to your home with those 3 other outstanding young men with the matching head bands, looking for a drink of water or a piece of bread. (Never mind the BG had a gun to your wives head and was going to shoot her and all of the kids AND the dog dead if you didn't give it to him, the FACTS aren't important here)...and in that scenario you shoot the BG once with a .45 and he died from the wound, you should have no problem being tried by 12 normal people and going home to your family.

IF however, you shot him once and he was in bad shape, then you shot him 12 more times because you needed to clear the whole mag, and then kicked him in the head and stabbed him just to make sure he wasn't going to hurt you or run off before the police got there, then that is a LITTLE bit of over kill, and that will bite you in the buttocks in court with the afore mentioned DA.

So, as a rule, don't use your 12ga with those special thermo-nuclear slugs for home defense...instead take a nice, safe, 00 buck, or in your handgun, a nice, heavy load of FMJ...and shoot them...but don't mutilate the body with more holes than needed...

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    If you use deadly force against a BG because he was threatening your life, fine...

But let's just say....

...That the local DA is an anti-gun a** with a hard-on for making a name for himself by showing that you were just out to kill ANYONE, and the unfortunate victim here was that nice, 25 year old Hispanic man with all of those beautiful gang tat's that came to your home with those 3 other outstanding young men with the matching head bands, looking for a drink of water or a piece of bread. (Never mind the BG had a gun to your wives head and was going to shoot her and all of the kids AND the dog dead if you didn't give it to him, the FACTS aren't important here)...and in that scenario you shoot the BG once with a .45 and he died from the wound, you should have no problem being tried by 12 normal people and going home to your family.

IF however, you shot him once and he was in bad shape, then you shot him 12 more times because you needed to clear the whole mag, and then kicked him in the head and stabbed him just to make sure he wasn't going to hurt you or run off before the police got there, then that is a LITTLE bit of over kill, and that will bite you in the buttocks in court with the afore mentioned DA.

So, as a rule, don't use your 12ga with those special thermo-nuclear slugs for home defense...instead take a nice, safe, 00 buck, or in your handgun, a nice, heavy load of FMJ...and shoot them...but don't mutilate the body with more holes than needed...

Its a sad reality that we are burdoned with " Legal Professionals" who have the " Honor" of being the " dictating machine" of someone who resist becoming a victim of crime.
    Texas should have better protection of citizens rights in order to relieve our stress created by those who choose to treat us as criminals.

West Texas

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Texas!
    Its a sad reality that we are burdoned with " Legal Professionals" who have the " Honor" of being the " dictating machine" of someone who resist becoming a victim of crime.
    Texas should have better protection of citizens rights in order to relieve our stress created by those who choose to treat us as criminals.

PREACH IT, Brother!

When we have to worry about protecting ourselves from over zealous LE in the form of officers and DA's as WELL as from the guy standing in my bedroom door with the knife, things is NOT good on the home front!

In MOST small towns, it's not a big deal...we all share those same conservative "he shouldn't have been there so he got what was coming to him" attitude and can see through the BS when needed....in the bigger cities...not so much!

Farmboy Marine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Bryan, TX
    ...and maybe a speed feed stock(with dragon breath rounds). [/url]

I've always wanted to get my hands on some of those to try out. I wouldn't say use them for home defense unless you want the both fire department AND police to show up at your house... But still they look like all kinds of fun to shoot!

Farmboy Marine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Bryan, TX
    In a situation where it is a home invasion and they are there to DO you harm, your best bet is "thinning of the herd" as fast as you can, and nothing says "herd thinning" in that situation as good as 00 buckshot. This is when the number of rounds could become important. [/URL]

http://www.gunpundit.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/rci-xrail.jpg

You could always invest in one of these. Haha, just kidding. Absurd and not tactically sound, but kinda cool nonetheless!

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LAKRAMER1211
    Top Bottom