• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    ... should a defensive / combat shotgun have?
    i mean tube capacity, not on the butt or hanging off the receiver.

my remington hold 5 +1 and this is more than enough for 2-3 BGs for sure, jsut looking fro some other opinions.

jtriron

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    HoustonTexas
    5+1 should do it, as long as you have some shells in reserve just in case. Side saddle mounted on the receiver will do it / I carry 2 slugs as well in case you need to penetrate a car door etc.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    But really, carry it out to the end of the barrel. If you're using an 18.5" on an 870, get a +2, if your using a 20-21", get a +3. I've got a Remchoke 21" with rifle sights with a +3 extension from tacstar or choate (can't remember) and a 18.5" improved cylinder barrel with ghost ring sights and a Wilson Combat +2. The 18.5" is what ends up on the gun unless it's turkey season. If I need to kill more than 8 zombies, there's always a beltfed HK...

West Texas

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Texas!
    My Mossberg 590 holds 8+1, 5 on the ATI fold over stock and 5 on the reciever plate. That should take care of anything that comes my way...

codeman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    TX
    I keep a Mossburg under my bed with 5 in the mag, the chamber empty and 9 more strapped to the but. And I sleep very well!

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    ... should a defensive / combat shotgun have?
    i mean tube capacity, not on the butt or hanging off the receiver.

my remington hold 5 +1 and this is more than enough for 2-3 BGs for sure, jsut looking fro some other opinions.

IMO 5+1 is about four more than you'll ever need (which means it's just enough). If you've ever seen what 00B or even 4B does to an animal the size of a person at close range... I can't see it taking more than two shots to stop an attacker, and I don't see his friends sticking around after the first round downrange. They'd have to be really well-disciplined and committed to hurting you, in which case you're not going to win anyway.

Remember: first one center of mass, second one (if needed) right between the hips. Take the pelvis out and they're not going to press their attack... because that's real hard to do with a broken pelvis and massive bleeding.

Load buckshot and keep practiced. Also, know your tactics. Do you know what a fatal funnel is? Know where they are in your house and use them to your advantage. Military theory teaches that an entrenched defender will require a 5:1 numerical advantage to displace. Be that entrenched defender. Ambush is your friend, counter attack is an act of desperation.

Fleetman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have an eight-round extension, 6 round side-saddle, and five-round cuff on a Hogue "youth" stock and 20" barrel. Although the round count is excessive, it certainly cuts down on felt recoil. Plus, this is my head-for-the-hills gun if ever needed....after all, the borders are closer than we think! Slung, the weight isn't as bad as one would think. I alternate buck and slug. SS carries all buck and cuff carries slugs.

For "normal" home defense though I would be comfortable with 5+1. I would hate myself though if the Kimber UC II and AR got lonely and unused when the BG's come a'calling.

West Texas

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Texas!
    IMO 5+1 is about four more than you'll ever need (which means it's just enough). If you've ever seen what 00B or even 4B does to an animal the size of a person at close range... I can't see it taking more than two shots to stop an attacker, and I don't see his friends sticking around after the first round downrange. They'd have to be really well-disciplined and committed to hurting you, in which case you're not going to win anyway.

Remember: first one center of mass, second one (if needed) right between the hips. Take the pelvis out and they're not going to press their attack... because that's real hard to do with a broken pelvis and massive bleeding.

Load buckshot and keep practiced. Also, know your tactics. Do you know what a fatal funnel is? Know where they are in your house and use them to your advantage. Military theory teaches that an entrenched defender will require a 5:1 numerical advantage to displace. Be that entrenched defender. Ambush is your friend, counter attack is an act of desperation.

Very well put!

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    good points.

i am using an 870 with 18.5 inch barrel, and since i live in an apartment, i am using handloaded, extra hot #9 shot.
    any thoughts on this load guys?

seems more than adequate and less likely to over penetrate into my neighbors face, or worse, is big assed 40 in flat screen ;)

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    good points.

i am using an 870 with 18.5 inch barrel, and since i live in an apartment, i am using handloaded, extra hot #9 shot.
    any thoughts on this load guys?

seems more than adequate and less likely to over penetrate into my neighbors face, or worse, is big assed 40 in flat screen ;)

In my opinion, for what it’s worth, birdshot has no place in a self defense weapon. If you’re worried about penetration through walls, go with any buckshot smaller than #0 buck. But leave the birdshot on the shelf, after all, birdshot is for the birds;). Penetration is an issue when you live in an apartment, but you have to realize, practically anything (including birdshot) that comes out of a firearm is going to go right through your wall and into your neighbors home. Sheetrock is no match for fast moving lead, so keep that in mind. Obviously, you can limit penetration by staying with smaller projectiles, but you will never eliminate it. So in my mind, you should be looking for something in between the most lethality and the least penetration, which is where #0 buck would come in.

jtriron

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    HoustonTexas
    I totally agree with Cody, and if over penetration becomes an issue it's most likely because you Stopped the BG period.
    A flat screen can be replaced and of course an innocent by stander can not, but what are the odds, and are you willing to bet your life on it?
    Small buck shot is a good choice IMO

[/SIZE]
    In my opinion, for what it’s worth, birdshot has no place in a self defense weapon. If you’re worried about penetration through walls, go with any buckshot smaller than #0 buck. But leave the birdshot on the shelf, after all, birdshot is for the birds;). Penetration is an issue when you live in an apartment, but you have to realize, practically anything (including birdshot) that comes out of a firearm is going to go right through your wall and into your neighbors home. Sheetrock is no match for fast moving lead, so keep that in mind. Obviously, you can limit penetration by staying with smaller projectiles, but you will never eliminate it. So in my mind, you should be looking for something in between the most lethality and the least penetration, which is where #0 buck would come in.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    [/SIZE]

Exactly! Anything that is capable of decisively ending a conflict is going to go through walls. No avoiding it. Sheetrock isn't even a match for a relatively slow-moving fist, foot, knee or head. I can't be the only one who's accidentally put a hole in a wall (without a gun).

I'm a fan of #4 buck for home defense because it has a high pellet count but and will penetrate sufficiently to reach the vital pieces that it needs to. Bird shot will make a nasty-looking but shallow wound. I've shot rabbits at close range with #6 out of a 12 gauge and it won't even fully penetrate one's head (though it does pretty much vaporize the near side of the bunny's noggin). #4 buck patterns will open up faster than bigger buckshot, and it will lose energy faster, so it's not my first choice for outdoor defensive use.

AcidFlashGordon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My Mossberg 590 holds 8+1, 5 on the ATI fold over stock and 5 on the reciever plate. That should take care of anything that comes my way...

That (the 590) is what I'm going to be picking up at the sale at Big 5 this Friday. Several of my coworkers keep telling me that $379 is too much to pay but I happen to like Mossbergs (having fired a few but never owned any) and the 9-shot 590 fits the bill for me quite nicely. Hell, I might just go "strange" and buy the S&W M-9 bayonet for the 590 for the extra added $59. I'm crazy that way......

Top Bottom