• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Houston, TX
    My dad's been reloading since I was a wee lad but I've yet to get into it. Every time I get a chunk of money together and tell myself that I'm going to buy a press and supplies, I end up buying more guns and ammo instead. This thread has inspired me, I think I'm gonna visit the old man today and ask for a reloading lesson. With the volume that I shoot, I'm looooooooooong overdue.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Since ~1976. However, I laid off and didn't do much shooting years ago due to job commitments. I'm retired now and will dive back in, soon.

I used to have a problem with reloading; I liked it more than shooting. Seriously, I enjoyed sitting at the bench, going through repetitive motions, and creating all those little jewels. I loved 'em so much, I hated to shoot 'em. Of course, I did shoot them...just so that I could get back to the bench and clean cases and start all over again to create more of my own special little jewels.

I used to load thousands of rounds of .308 and 7x47 (.222 Rem Mag opened to 7mm), all in nickel-plated cases (cuz they're purty), and almost view the whole shooting thing as an inconvenient diversion whose only purpose was to give me more empties to reload.

Yes, I know I'm weird. ;)

Vern1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    Pettytown, Texas US of A
    Started with a LEE hand/hammer loader for .222 and 12 guage back in 68 or 69.
    Family had been reloading before that so I had mentors.
    Used many different brands of presses, scales, measures, dies and related tools over those years.
    Now have a mixture of brands that solve that particular piece of the puzzle better than another.
    Basically, I know what works for me and gives the results I desire, whether it be paper punching, varmint, deer or pig hunting.

Paul5388

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Rusk County
    I've been at it since 1965 as a matter of necessity. I had a M600 Rem given to me for my birthday in 6mm Rem and finding ammunition for it wasn't like getting .30-30s. So, I began loading with .244 Rem brass. Now I load for quite a few different calibers, pistol and rifle, in my new 14'X32' loading building. I have powder that dates back to the 1940s or before and it still works just like when it was new! I've added a few powders since this picture was taken.

reloadingroomsm.jpg

reddog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    Terlingua
    I've been at it since 1965 as a matter of necessity. I had a M600 Rem given to me for my birthday in 6mm Rem and finding ammunition for it wasn't like getting .30-30s. So, I began loading with .244 Rem brass. Now I load for quite a few different calibers, pistol and rifle, in my new 14'X32' loading building. I have powder that dates back to the 1940s or before and it still works just like when it was new! I've added a few powders since this picture was taken.

reloadingroomsm.jpg
    OK, I'm really jealous!! That would be fantastic to have a reloading "room" like that ;)

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Since ~1976. However, I laid off and didn't do much shooting years ago due to job commitments. I'm retired now and will dive back in, soon.

I used to have a problem with reloading; I liked it more than shooting. Seriously, I enjoyed sitting at the bench, going through repetitive motions, and creating all those little jewels. I loved 'em so much, I hated to shoot 'em. Of course, I did shoot them...just so that I could get back to the bench and clean cases and start all over again to create more of my own special little jewels.

I used to load thousands of rounds of .308 and 7x47 (.222 Rem Mag opened to 7mm), all in nickel-plated cases (cuz they're purty), and almost view the whole shooting thing as an inconvenient diversion whose only purpose was to give me more empties to reload.

Yes, I know I'm weird. ;)

Weird here too.
    Jewels. Has a nice ring to it.

Paul5388

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Rusk County
    Sometimes it is just a matter of what you have handy for a loading room. I've worked in garages and I've also had dedicated loading rooms, but they will all produced good results if proper care is taken. Here's the 10'X16' loading room before the present one.

loadingroom3-3-10_zps1c5b4056.jpg

Amistad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2008
    San Antone
    Started this wonderful hobby in February 2008, so that's a little better than 5 years. Started off with (and still use) my Lee single stage press and I load for 9mm, 380, 38 Spec, 357 Mag, 40 s&w, 41 Mag, 44 Spec, 44 Mag, 45acp, and most recently 45 Colt. I've kept a log book of all the stuff I've cranked out. Crossed the 40,000 rounds mark a couple of months ago. I've been casting for about 3 years, after a coworker one day ("just out of the blue") gave me several hundred pounds of wheelweights. Just can't get enough of this stuff!

Amistad

reddog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    Terlingua
    I wish I had made this into a poll, but reading through the posts it seems like for the most part half of us have been loading just short of forever, the other half have been introduced recently, say within the last 10 years or so. I'm glad to see all the new guys getting into this. Thanks for all that chimed in here.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I wish I had made this into a poll, but reading through the posts it seems like for the most part half of us have been loading just short of forever, the other half have been introduced recently, say within the last 10 years or so. I'm glad to see all the new guys getting into this. Thanks for all that chimed in here.
    I wonder if that gap in time can be explained by the fact that container-shiploads of Chinese ammo that would go bang every time used to be available? When decent centerfire rifle practice ammo can be had for $0.07/round (or less, as it once was), reloading isn't necessary. When 50-round boxes of 9mm ball can be had for $3.00 (I have many cases of quality, U.S. made ammo that I bought at that price), reloading isn't necessary.

There was a time in the not-too-distant past when reloading, for casual shooters, was not cost-effective. Those times, I think, are gone forever.

Big Phil

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    SATX
    My Dad has been reloading for 20+ years and I have only done it a handful of times on his equipment since '09 or so. He got into it to refine loads and save money on shooting his 7 mag.

I got into it to save money but now it's so I can actually go and shoot!

reddog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    Terlingua
    I wonder if that gap in time can be explained by the fact that container-shiploads of Chinese ammo that would go bang every time used to be available? When decent centerfire rifle practice ammo can be had for $0.07/round (or less, as it once was), reloading isn't necessary. When 50-round boxes of 9mm ball can be had for $3.00 (I have many cases of quality, U.S. made ammo that I bought at that price), reloading isn't necessary.

There was a time in the not-too-distant past when reloading, for casual shooters, was not cost-effective. Those times, I think, are gone forever.
    I didn't really think about that but I'll bet you are right. Those would have been the days of the $75 SKS, and the $100 tins of ammo. Ah the good old days :)

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I have boxes of ammo I loaded in 1991, but I think it was a couple years before that. I used to load a box of 44mag for $5.50 using lead bullets. That was less than half the price at the time. Saved lots of money over the years, or more accurately, was able to shoot much more than I would have otherwise by "rolling my own."

The last few years its moved towards loading the most accurate loads, at least for rifle loads. I can also load some light loads for my girls to hunt with.

I am helping a relative get into reloading. Its amazing the little stuff you accumulate over 30 years. Not sure what it all cost, but lots of $3 gun show buys on accessories, and $10 die used die sets.

Top Bottom