• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • reddog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    Terlingua
    Just thought I'd ask, looking through the posts I see a lot of guys starting, which is great. I've been reloading for over 40 years now, where did the time go???

Started with one of the Lee hammer them in kits and progressed through the single stage presses to a Dillon 550 and now a Hornady Lock and Load with all the bells and whistles. Been casting this whole time too as I just could never see pushing a jacketed bullet into a dirt pile...

Affording to shoot has always been the primary reason for casting/reloading, being able to load as fast as I shoot led to the progressive presses. But being able to really wring out a rifle/pistol for it's best is where I've ended up.

How about the rest of you?
    DK Firearms

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I started reloading in 1966 or 1967 with a Texan 12 gauge reloader. Started out a bit later loading .45acp, .357 magnum and .38 special on Lee Loaders.....the hammer type. I still have those! ............tap, tap, tap!

Now, I use the Mec 600 junior (this is my third or fourth one). I originally went to two Dillon RL 450's, and now have two Dillon RL550's. Still have my first RCBS Rock Chucker and use it for match rifle rounds.

I have an older, extra Rock Chucker if anyone needs one. It can be yours!

Flash

mantawolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Lowry Crossing
    2 years or so, because the stuff got hard to find. Working on a Hornady LnL with case feeder and an old single stage. Loading 308, 223, 243, 9, 45, 40, 30/06

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    I've been reloading for 28 years. I now have 7 MEC shotshell reloaders in 4 different gauges.
    Nowadays I only load .410's and 28 gauge.

Dhayes

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Idaho Falls,Idaho
    Hubby built a reloading bench last weekend.
    998881_645284902150625_1648555284_n.jpg

He got a brass cleaner,and a bucket and strainer to separate the corn cob medium from the brass after the brass is cleaned. He also has a press that he attached to the top of the bench. He's been stocking up on bullets and powder and primers. I think he wants to buy dies next. Investing in reloading equipment is a slow process but he says it will pay in the long run.

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    6 years now. Still using my Lee Classic single-stage. Lots of powder and primer in reserve but not as many bullets :(

reddog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    Terlingua
    Hubby built a reloading bench last weekend.
    998881_645284902150625_1648555284_n.jpg

He got a brass cleaner,and a bucket and strainer to separate the corn cob medium from the brass after the brass is cleaned. He also has a press that he attached to the top of the bench. He's been stocking up on bullets and powder and primers. I think he wants to buy dies next. Investing in reloading equipment is a slow process but he says it will pay in the long run.

Looks good. The start up costs are there but all of this equipment will last a lifetime so in the end the overall costs are nothing compared to the savings over all those years, especially if you are an active shooter. Besides it's something fun to do that is related to shooting when you can't be out shooting!!

sb47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013
    About 45 years. i could only guess at how much money i have saved over the years.

Rifleman55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    I have been at it since63 started with a .222Rem, that was the primo varmint cartridge back then, it even was used to set bench rest records. Times have changed. I load for a bunch of rounds now.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Damn, I've been at it just a touch over 4 years now. It started with a lee hand press I used to reload the 45LC, now I'm surrounded by 4lb and 8lb containers of powder and dies,primers and projectiles for loading 10 calibers. It's been a truly rewarding hobby. However, I don't know that I save any money...I just shoot much more than I could otherwise.

10mm and 45

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    San Antonio
    20+ years. Started off with a RCBS partner press then added a Hornady projector progressive but now planning on replacing it with a Dillon 650. I agree with TexMex it really doesn't save that much money but you can definitely shoot more. Another added benefit is you can experiment with the components to get the best accuracy.

Nortex

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2013
    Republic of Texas
    for about the past hour, taking a break to load up some more primer tubes.

oh, wait. I get it. Finally started back in January. Picked up a Hornady Single Stage to learn on and pass the time while I waited for my Dillon 650 to show up. Helped fund the purchase(s) by selling off a some of the practice FMJ ammo I had stockpiled....keeping all the factory defensive/JHP tho.

My handloads/reloads are already so much more accurate than factory...might sell off some more to buy components.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Five or six years or so for me. Started with a RockChucker and have a progressive also.

I have loaded from 5.7 to .50 BMG.

It is amazing what you learn about guns, ammo, and ballistics while just trying to make some cheap and accurate ammo.

I honestly enjoy reloading as much or more than shooting.

Top Bottom