ARJ Defense ad

How do you feel about getting your drivers license swiped electronically?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Where do your fall in having electronic information from your TDL collected??

• They are engaged in illegal activity, report them to the approiate authorities.

Votes: 16 51.6%
    • Mention it to management, then don't go there if you don't like their way of doing business.

Votes: 8 25.8%
    • Not a big deal, everyone else collects data on you.

Votes: 3 9.7%
    • They should have the right to collect information on those that use their facilities.

Votes: 1 3.2%
    • Stupid law, if it helps them and their insurance premiums to have this information on you so be it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • Please drop the subject, we don't need to draw attention to any firearm related business.

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I had the unpleasant experience of having a sales clerk swipe my drivers license without my consent at a gun range last week. They are collecting data on who shoot there, and even when I explained that what she had done was illegal (Class "A" misdemeanor), they continued to do the same action for all subsequent customers. I was able to forward what I think is the applicable statute to the management the next day who responded that they will check with their attorneys on it. When I was in there another day, they were still engaged in the practice.

I was curious about how others felt about this issue.

Texas Transportation Code

Sec. 521.126. ELECTRONICALLY READABLE INFORMATION. (a) The department may not include any information on a driver's license, commercial driver's license, or personal identification certificate in an electronically readable form other than the information printed on the license and a physical description of the licensee.
    (b) Except as provided by Subsections (d), (e), (g), (i), and (j), a person commits an offense if the person:
    (1) accesses or uses electronically readable information derived from a driver's license, commercial driver's license, or personal identification certificate; or
    (2) compiles or maintains a database of electronically readable information derived from driver's licenses, commercial driver's licenses, or personal identification certificates.
    (c) An offense under Subsection (b) is a Class A misdemeanor.
    (d) The prohibition provided by Subsection (b) does not apply to a person who accesses, uses, compiles, or maintains a database of the information for a law enforcement or governmental purpose, including:
    (1) an officer or employee of the department carrying out law enforcement or government purposes;
    (2) a peace officer, as defined by Article 2.12, Code of Criminal Procedure, acting in the officer's official capacity;
    (3) a license deputy, as defined by Section 12.702, Parks and Wildlife Code, issuing a license, stamp, tag, permit, or other similar item through use of a point-of-sale system under Section 12.703, Parks and Wildlife Code;
    (4) a person acting as authorized by Section 109.61, Alcoholic Beverage Code;
    (5) a person establishing the identity of a voter under Chapter 63, Election Code;
    (6) a person acting as authorized by Section 161.0825, Health and Safety Code; or
    (7) a person screening an individual who will work with or have access to children if the person is an employee or an agent of an employee of a public school district or an organization exempt from federal income tax under Section 501(c)(3), Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended, that sponsors a program for youth.
    (e) The prohibition provided by Subsection (b)(1) does not apply to a financial institution or a business if the information is accessed and used only for purposes of identification verification of an individual or check verification at the point of sale for a purchase of a good or service by check. The prohibition provided by Subsection (b)(2) does not apply to a financial institution if each license or certificate holder whose information is included in the compilation or database consents to the inclusion of the person's information in the compilation or database. Consent under this subsection must be on a separate document, signed by the license or certificate holder, that explains in at least 14-point bold type the information that will be included in the compilation or database. For the purposes of this subsection, "financial institution" has the meaning assigned by 31 U.S.C. Section 5312(a)(2), as amended.
    (f) A person may not use information derived from electronically readable information from a driver's license, commercial driver's license, or personal identification certificate to engage in telephone solicitation to encourage the purchase or rental of, or investment in, goods, other property, or services.
    (g) If authorized by the executive or administrative head of a maritime facility as defined in the Maritime Transportation Security Act of 2002 (46 U.S.C. Section 70101 et seq.), or of a port, port authority, or navigation district created or operating under Section 52, Article III, or Section 59, Article XVI, Texas Constitution, a person may access, use, compile, or maintain in a database electronically readable information derived from a driver's license, commercial driver's license, or personal identification certificate to secure the facility or port. The information may be used only to:
    (1) identify an individual;
    (2) provide official credentials for an individual;
    (3) track or limit the movement of an individual on facility property;
    (4) establish a secure database of visitors to the facility;
    (5) access the information at terminal and gate operations of the facility; or
    (6) conduct other security or operational activities as determined by the executive or administrative head.
    (h) Except as provided by Section 418.183, Government Code, the electronically readable information derived from a driver's license, commercial driver's license, or personal identification certificate for the purposes of Subsection (g) is confidential and not subject to disclosure, inspection, or copying under Chapter 552, Government Code.
    (i) The prohibition provided by Subsection (b) does not apply to a hospital that accesses, uses, compiles, or maintains a database of the information to provide health care services to the individual who holds the driver's license, commercial driver's license, or personal identification certificate.
    (j) Except as otherwise provided by this subsection, a hospital may not sell, transfer, or otherwise disseminate the information described by Subsection (i) to a third party for any purpose, including any marketing, advertising, or promotional activities. A hospital that obtains information described by Subsection (i) may transfer the information only in accordance with the rules implementing the federal Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (Pub. L. No. 104-191). A business associate, and any subcontractor of the business associate who receives the transferred information, may use the information only to service or maintain the hospital's database of the information.
    (k) If an individual objects to the hospital collecting the individual's information from the individual's driver's license as described by Subsection (i), the hospital must use an alternative method for collecting the individual's information.
    DK Firearms

1rightguy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    I work for a hotel chain and we scan a copy every DL into our database at check in. This way we have pictures of each guest. We don't actually do anything with the magnetic strip and if you show us the DL than you're giving us the information anyway. We are an extended stay only company, at least a week. We do a sex offender check on everybody that stays on the property but other than that, it's for identification only. Is it your opinion that what we di is not legal?

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    holy shit this never occurred to me as being illegal... going to have to mention this to the boss. the machine at work uses a reader, you swipe the card and it take the name and address from the card and puts it int he little boxes... AFAIK that is all that is read. otherwise if it doesn't scan you just type it all in and it takes forever when you have a line of people.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I work for a hotel chain and we scan a copy every DL into our database at check in. This way we have pictures of each guest. We don't actually do anything with the magnetic strip and if you show us the DL than you're giving us the information anyway. We are an extended stay only company, at least a week. We do a sex offender check on everybody that stays on the property but other than that, it's for identification only. Is it your opinion that what we di is not legal?

Scan would seem to be legal, reading the mag strip would not.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    Sounds pretty stupid to me.
    When businesses do name and/or phone number capture, they typically need your consent.
    It seems to me that it should be the same way for swiping your DL.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    Had some POS bitch try copying my credit card with one of those old carbon copy things. Even after I entered it in the CC machine.
    I took the card away from her and got the carbon copy. Then I threw the swipe POS in the trash!

San Antone RR

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    San Antonio
    My Google-Foo turned this pdf:
    TXStripInfo.jpg

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    I know with our electronic ticket writers, whether the barcode on the newer license or the strip of the older is either swiped or scanned with the laser feature, it gives us:
    Name
    DOB
    height
    weight
    hair color
    eye color
    DL nummber
    full address

Those are just the spaces provided on our writers, not sure if there is more.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Well I voted that it should be reported. Even though I have nothing to hide, I don't want them to know all that stuff.

However I always make sure to read a playboy before going through a TSA scanner
    th_sleezy.gif

Top Bottom