Join TexasGunTalk

How did they preserve meat in the past?

Discussion in 'Food, Water Storage and other Prepper Gear' started by sobi1998, Apr 7, 2020.

1. vmax

vmax TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Apr 15, 2013
    They would smoke and cure it
    Also cut in strips and make jerky again in a smokehouse mainly

Sugar and salt both used as cures
    Draws out the moisture

toddnjoyce, Axxe55 and cvgunman like this.
  2. busykngt

busykngt TGT Addict

Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Prague Powder (Pink Curing Salt #1). Contains 6.25% nitrates; the rest, salt. Too much nitrates can be dangerous. I happen to be making jerky tonight and I use about 1/4 teaspoon per pound to pound & half of sliced beef - so it doesn’t take much. Also, it will increase “shelf life” of the jerky to a few weeks but it’s not that necessary since the jerky doesn’t typically last that long around here anyway.

Curing country hams and shoulders, growing up in Kentucky: a thick layer of fat was left on the meat - maybe as much as a half inch. Salt curing (verses sugar curing like they do over in Virginia), I helped rub/massage {endlessly} a mixture of red pepper and Borax into the fat layer. This helped keep the maggots out of the meat. We’d put the hams or shoulders into pillowcases and usually into a burlap bag and hang them in the smokehouse for a year (sometimes, as much as two years). Take them down, cut the fat layer off and cook the shoulder or ham. A good, age-cured ham had what we called ‘frog eyes’ in the meat - little faint white semi-circles. Great eating; redeye gravy & biscuits too!

TxStetson, toddnjoyce and Axxe55 like this.
  3. pronstar

pronstar TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    He drew cartoons of meat?

I think salting and drying meats charcuterie-style was being done well before canning, which came much later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. Oldbluered

Oldbluered Member

Oct 18, 2019
    Bastrop area
    Jerky is always great and pressure canning your own meats are better than buying in store, IMO. Ground meats are better cooked before canning but the rest can be raw packed or cooked. I got most of my meat canning instructions here...
    National center for home food preservation
    https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can5_meat.html

5. baboon

baboon TGT Addict

Phucing auto correct!

pronstar likes this.
  6. SQLGeek

SQLGeek Wheel Gun Nut TGT Supporter

Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Haha, I was wondering what that was supposed to be.

pronstar likes this.
  7. Lunyfringe

Lunyfringe Well-Known

Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    There are places that still do it (besides Jerky)... look up Serrano ham...

We have one from Costco, now not sure if we can use it on Easter

FireInTheWire likes this.
  8. toddnjoyce

toddnjoyce TGT Addict

Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    When we lived in Europe, it was about a half-hour drive to San Daniele, one of two towns that makes prosciutto, which is a salt cured whole ham. That dry ages for up to 2 years. The whole place has a heavenly smell in the air year round.

The hams are salt cured for about three weeks, to suck a lot of the moisture out, then washed and hung to finish. Each year, we would go to the prosciutto festival described below.

https://www.nina-travels.com/festiv...ed-tour-to-a-prosciutto-factory-italy-travel/

TxStetson and FireInTheWire like this.
  9. Mohawk600

Mohawk600 Well-Known

Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    good videos

FireInTheWire likes this.
  10. Mohawk600

Mohawk600 Well-Known

Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    caricature.........lol.......did you mean charcuterie?????