• ...and so much more!
  • Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    It seems now that almost all headlights on vehicles are plastic. The environment really takes its toll on them and fogs them up. Some get so bad that they are all but worthless.

A painter buddy of mine showed me a cheap way to fix them with items that I already have at home. All you need is some 400 grit sandpaper, a rag, and a spray can of clear laquer (clear spray paint).

This is how the headlamps looked before:

eveperu3.jpg

ynabu9y2.jpg

They aren't too bad but I wanted to try the fix before I shared. Take the sandpaper and sand them down. This will create a mess of fine white dust. Take a rag and wipe them off. They will still look white and hazy.

a2e4a9ah.jpg

Now spray them with the clear laquer. Multiple light coats work the best just like any spray paint job.

e7adege2.jpg

u7yvumev.jpg

They actually look better than my pictures show. This fix is supposed to last for a couple of years.

I am sure this fix has other applications also. I have seen clear rain gauges that could use a fix.

Hope this helps and saves you a buck or two.
    Texas SOT

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    FOR SALE: 8oz of a 10oz bottle of Meguir's PlastX. Originally $20 now only $5 (+ $15 S&H)

For me, one lens was much worse than the other and remains so after much wax-on, wax-off. You're pretty happy with the outcome eh? What brand lacquer did you use? Thanks for the tip dude.

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    It works well. I know a couple guys that got theirs fixed by a "professional" and they don't look this good.

I think you can buy a 6"x12" piece of sandpaper (about 6" square for each lense) and a can of clear paint for $5.

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    I've heard that toothpaste works pretty well, but I haven't tried it

Plenty of discussions on SlickDeals about just this idea. Seems getting the haze off isn't the hardest part(toothpaste, polishing compound, even paste wax w/abrasives). Some have reported 're-hazing' in just a few months; but I reckon you could protect the finish with wax or similar...OR...maybe the toothpaste, then the OP lacquer suggestion.

radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Note: unless the final coat is UV-treated, the lens will quickly haze over or yellow in sunlight.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Flitz This product is a plastic polish and can be used for many other projects. I use paper towel and have done it just once.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Note: unless the final coat is UV-treated, the lens will quickly haze over or yellow in sunlight.

THIS^^

whatever method you use to polish off the hazy outer layer, you have to clear coat it with something or it will look like crap again in about 2 weeks

Top Bottom