• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I highly recommend the 3M headlight restoration kits. It is a time consuming and tedious process but works better than any chemical fix out there. At one time, we had the clear coat set up. We would basically buff the headlights with steel wool and clearcoat over it. Those jobs were good for about 6 months at best. The 3m kit will give you professional results.
    DK Firearms

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I have heard that Off insect repellant works too. Use the pads version. This is according to my BIL but I haven't tried it.

You can use the spray, works pretty good but short lived fix.

Sent from my HAL 9000

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I highly recommend the 3M headlight restoration kits. It is a time consuming and tedious process but works better than any chemical fix out there. At one time, we had the clear coat set up. We would basically buff the headlights with steel wool and clearcoat over it. Those jobs were good for about 6 months at best. The 3m kit will give you professional results.
    What does the 3M professional result cost? IOW, what specific product do you recommend?

If the OP's solution is a few dollars, 1 hours time, and lasts a couple years, that's a pretty good return, yes?

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    What does the 3M professional result cost? IOW, what specific product do you recommend?

If the OP's solution is a few dollars, 1 hours time, and lasts a couple years, that's a pretty good return, yes?
    I used stuff that I already had on hand.

$8 to $12 isn't bad if you don't have the stuff already.

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    THIS^^

whatever method you use to polish off the hazy outer layer, you have to clear coat it with something or it will look like crap again in about 2 weeks

Maybe not so quickly. Shortly after a friend moved here from Atlanta, I polished her Lexus RX headlight lenses...one with tooth paste, the other with a compound polish. Didn't recoat either and they looked darned good one year later. BTW, the RX was a 2006.

1Andy2

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Beeville
    If you keep going finer and finer, all the way to like 2000 grit, you can return them to basically like new.

Just depends on how much patience you have.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I used a 3M medium duty restoration kit with pads marked 1000, 3000, & 5000 but not sure how/if that equates to sand paper grit. It certainly made the lenses look new but honestly, I see only a small improvement in illumination.

I did NOT explicitly follow the directions so YMMV.

Couyon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 21, 2013
    NW of Austin
    I believe the higher "grit" of the 3M system is probably micro mesh which typically runs from 1000 to 12000. It was developed for aviation plexiglass and if used properly can return the plastic to factory finish. If I remember correctly the grit equivalency to standard sandpaper doesn't go any higher than 1500 standard = 4000 micro mesh. After that, micro mesh has no equivalent. But that's all based on an old memory system. ;) I use it for polishing wood turnings to a mirror finish.

Micro Mesh

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    I seldom recommend any product because I learned a long time ago that YMMV depending on ability to follow directions, patience and skill. With that said, the headlights on my 2006 Chevy Silverado SS truck have been showing some signs of UV degradation and I wanted to restore them rather than invest in new lamps. I bought this truck new and I have tried to keep it as original as possible over the past 14 years. It has 102,000 miles on it and I should be driving it on the last day I am able to get behind the wheel.

Ok, so I looked at all of the available headlight restoration kits and did the research including reading a ton of reviews and looking at before and after pics. Ironically, my son is a manager for Chemical Guys which makes its own line of headlight restoration products that utilize their paint/body polishing machines as a process. I didn't want to use a machine so I weeded out products that would use an attachment on a drill or a polisher. I kept seeing these great reviews for a cheap Sylvania restoration kit for around $20. After kicking it around a bit, I bought the kit for $18.99 on eBay and tried it out.

Since only one of my 4 lights was in bad shape and one was in so-so condition, I started by doing one light today. Followed the simple instructions, invested about 25 minutes of my time and was completely blown away with the results! Reviews says it should last 3-6 years depending on condition, but I am totally impressed and pleased with what I got for less than $20 so i thought I would pass this along.

Here is a link to the product but, as I noted, you can beat this price at eBay or you can buy it at some auto parts stores locally.

Amazon product ASIN B00429NKWK
    Here are two "before" pics and three "after" pics.

Will be doing the other headlight in the next day or two.

Z0lXEnTl.jpg

kQhCeSUl.jpg

ZZhwvpbl.jpg

vc30dF8l.jpg

YcxVtPPl.jpg

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    Yeah, my thoughts exactly since I have seen a number of "DIY" jobs end up in having to buy new headlights

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Thanks for the recommendation. I really need to do that to my wife's car. I'll give it a whirl.

PeoplePhobic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2020
    Longview
    I've restored headlights a few times and they just get messed back up after a few months. You'll want to spray something like meguiars keep clear on there or uv resistant clear coat or you'll probably be doing this again soon. I've heard good things about the cerakote kit but I can buy a new headlight for my car for about what that costs so I haven't tried that. I do need to do this again though I got some Hikari Ultra LEDs for my car on prime day and I want all the lumens now.

I wish they'd just make headlights out of glass again.

Top Bottom